Names from the past, where are they now?

Grigsy, Billy Gardiner's name has been posted in the results of the Burdekin Open at Ayr in North Queensland. Yes he was a class above every one in his day, during the urethane ball day's, but now every second youth bowler rev's the cover off the ball, as well as reactive urethane negating his power.
I did hear he was living in Townsville.
willey.

Steve lovell still bowls in the NSW grand prix circuit,he is currently in the top 10 rankings for the state.

I simply can't let some corkhead put the words......"Billy Gardiner" and "negating" [God I'm about to choke] - in the same sentence without comment!!!

I know enough about Billy to be certain that if it was war he'd be on my right [negating only the in-coming] and on my left would be Geoff Ott -who would never give up [I know this to be 100% true] and big enough to keep the bastards off me!!

Billy could be living in Townsville or Timbuctoo - it wouldn't matter - he is/was/will always be a class above the rest.

Negating - in a pigs ear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Jones

It's nice to hear all this talk about bowlers from the "Past" perhaps you better go to the web site atbso.org and look up the teams for the Seniors Interstate Challenge ever heard of these bowlers

John Sullivan Jeanette Baker
Steve Kiss Sue Raphael
Rod Stewart Cheryl Munson
Paul Madden Marg Dollman
Steve Bell Jenny Palmer
Jeff Salt
John Ford
Lawrie Hill
Ian Hughes
etc, etc, etc,

If you want to know where they are now they are happily bowling in the Seniors and if you come to the Senior Interstate Challenge Oct 9-11 Forest Hill, you'll see bowling like Rachuig, was when it was great to bowl in!!

Then if come to the bar afterwards you'll meet the stories not have to bo told about them!!

Just a few more names to add to that list from North Queensland

Gary Waltz
Jeff Neuman
Rod Townsen

Cheers Kerri

O/K Mr Jones, I know where your coming from but lets look at the facts, Australian Open, 3 years in a row won by Cara Honeychurch, I know she is good but in those 3 years she beat the likes of Billy, Belmo, Frawley etc, etc, etc,.
Why because of reactive resin, Billy and company are throwing bombs down the lane, she still beats them, all she needs to do is be more accurate and the ball will do the rest, she only has to get the ball to the hole.
I admire Billy's bowling ability, I've watched him grow up, I've seen him average higher in a junior Grand Prix event than the bowlers that won in the senior Grand Prix on the same lanes.
If we were to go back to rubber or urethane, I would definitely have him in my team. Or if a tournament was run with rubber, plastic or urethane than Cara would not get close to the guys let alone beat them. This is the main reason Terry Wenban gave it away, he was getting beat by the females, he knew there was something wrong, all that technique they developed had been NEGATED by the ball company's.
willey.

willey said:
O/K Mr Jones, I know where your coming from but lets look at the facts, Australian Open, 3 years in a row won by Cara Honeychurch, I know she is good but in those 3 years she beat the likes of Billy, Belmo, Frawley etc, etc, etc,.
Why because of reactive resin, Billy and company are throwing bombs down the lane, she still beats them, all she needs to do is be more accurate and the ball will do the rest, she only has to get the ball to the hole.
willey.

Cara won because she was more accurate? WHY ELSE WOULD ANYONE WIN?? Do you even realise what you said? I'll quote the specific line again...
all she needs to do is be more accurate and the ball will do the rest
Nothing was stopping anyone else going... 'Hey guys, if I stop revving the ball as much, and stop muscling the ball as much when I bowl, I might be more accurate, and then I will hit my target more, resulting in MORE STRIKES!!!'
WOW, that makes perfect sense to me. The bowler that is able to hit their target the most... WON! WOW!! HOLY SHIT! What brainwave came up with that idea!
Seems like she won cos she could what she does better then what anyone else could do what they do. Which is a perfectly legitimate reason for her to win.

Later Da Cowman!

To Da Cowman, exactly my point, without the reactive resin ball in her hand she had no show, the ball did all the work. Thus all those players with strong releases were negated by the reactives. I know they throw too much ball, most are young and it looks impressive, and they can't back it off when they need to.
If you go as far back as when Dick Ritger came out to Australia the first time 1981, he taught you to practice all the different arrow lines, with the understanding that when you bowled outside line you backed off the lift so you did not over hit the pins.
Go back to early 80's, Melbourne Cup, Dave Davis wins, bowls 230 average, 300 game, 800 series, all with a 14 pound ball, why 14 lb, because he was hitting the pins too hard with anything heavier.
Back to the South Pacific, Belmo wins throwing bombs, gets out scored by Carol Gionotti, if she competed against the men she probably would have won, again proving my point, reactive resin negates the power bowlers.
willey.

Willey,
So your saying the best bowler, the best being the bowler with the best ability to repeat shots, make spares and move quickly and effectivly with changing lane conditions, should not win because the shot they throw is not powerful enough??
It's not often I agree with Wayne, but I think a while back he made a comment along the lines of 'put that bong down'. I agree with him.
Its a choice the bowler makes. Do I throw a tonne of revs and sacrifice accuracy, or do I throw enough revs to generate enough power to knock all the pins down (which is, the last time I checked, the aim of the game) while maintaining highest amount of accuracy possible?
You need to get your head checked if you think throwing bombs down the lane is the only way to win. It is an option, yes. But not the only way to win...

Later Da Cowman!

Da Cowman, you don't get it, re-read the posts, I was comenting on Steve Jones reply to my earlier post that Billy Gardiner's power has been NEGATED by the presence of reactive resin, You actually agree with me, accuracy with a reactive is more important, they don't need power.
willey,

I have read all off your emails with great interest. I have been involved in Bowling for 40 years. In that time I have seen every "Champion" bowler Australia has produced and since 1962 the best bowler in the country has very rarely been the bowler with the biggest shot, let me name some "Real Champion"bowlers who dominated their era with accuracy not power.

Joe Velo
Steve Mackie
John Sullivan
Bruce Kennedy
Terry Wendan
Len Hogg
Ian Bradford
Frank Ryan
Cara Honeychurch

at the same time there were bowlers around who bowled huge shots but hardly ever won anything!!!! At this time we all used the same equipment so power has never been the answer.

If I ever needed a bowler had to get a strike to save my life any of the above would do me, you only have to knock over 10 Pins so if your ball is capable of destroying 30 Pins so what!! 10 is enough

jim ferguson, still does bowl the Mary Flower (twin tours/ powder puff) challenge whichever you want to call it... ad is still goin good

Hi Belly,I've seen Velo, Sullivan, Kennedy( who bowled conventional, because of arthritis) bowl live, I've stayed at Steve Mackie's place, and bowled against him, I've was knocked into the losers bracket by Hogg in the 1982 Australian Masters that was won by Frank Ryan, bowled against Bradford and how small is Cara, but to say that Terry Wenban was an accuracy bowler is not right, Terry was probably the first power bowler I can remember, the only other bowler who comes to mind is Terry Fitzpatrick from the early 70's who had a lot of side roll on the ball, did'nt do him a lot of good with the lane conditions at the time.
Anyway it's good to reminise.
willey.

Does anybody remember Rod Tompsom, Won the first Perth Cup.He gave the game away because too many Sandbaggers in League and tournaments. I work with him and hes into Golf now.
But I still remember his style it was so Fluid and Balanced. And a great guy as well.

:lol: jb is still heavilly involed with the atbsov (seniors)
and still bowls
still doesnt lose much and loves to beat the boys home
she is also my coach :D
ps she is bowling this week at the atbso nationals held at
forest hill in melbourne
steve bell
steve kiss
paul madden
cheryl munson and many others
are all bowling atbso nats
Saw steve lovell at spc still going strong

Da-Cowman & Steve Jones,
I have to agree with Willey on the issue of reactive resin balls. You do not need to throw a million revs on the ball as I see our younger bowlers do. You will 100% sacrifice accuracy just to make yourself look good cause you can thrown coast to coast! What these young bowlers need to do is learn how to back off when their shot fail to produce.
Look at the pro tour in the US. All the very top pros dont rev the hell on the balls, Walter Ray, Steve Jaros to name a couple. They rely on accuracy. As Willey said, the ball will do its work!! They dont need to do more than is required...

Melboleo, VIC

give it a whack it's great fun
you forgot to mention those who do
hit the ball
current
robert smith
parker bohn
pete webber
The cheif brian himler
rick steelsmith
norm duke (Sometimes)
Justin hromek