Names from the past, where are they now?

My shot wasn't that big, and I miss my red HQ , and my memory is gotten worse over the years, that was over 25 years ago now (I think) .
Why don't you think I'll remember you. Try me. send me a direct email if you wish to stay unkown.
cheers
tony

Stuart - let me help with the John Burgess question.

Burgess was a pro - and certainly one of the first in Australia. However the income he derived came mainly from giving instruction on the lanes to the thousands of new bowlers that flocked to the game in the early 60's. He did of course compete - and very well - in whatever tournaments there were during those days - and there were a few that paid big, big money.

John does not have a sanctioned 300 game....but only a handful had during the 60's

He "fell" into his career in radio in fact when he gave bowling lessons one night to John Laws - who suggested Burgess had a good voice for radio...the rest is history.

Finally, John came back into bowling [in a physical sense rather than as a competitor]in the early 90's when he agreed to be the face and voice for bowlings push to become a medal sport in the 2000 Sydney Olympics. I can state absolutely that Burgess spent thousands of unpaid hours grinding out bowlings positive message both here and around the world - to anyone of any importance in the IOC, the business world and the media. The pace he set was for himself - and others - was exhausting - and the doors his name and face opened for the sport were beyond impressive.

He refused any attempt during those years of effort to be paid one red cent.

Bowling has had few better friends than John Burgess.

Steve

Whatever happened to some of the prominant and great tournament names that have disappeared from the bowling scene over the years? Names like:
Men
Ian Bradford
Mark Malloy
Gary Jeffrey
Silvano Prez
Brenton Manning
Fred Allsopp
Peter Van Kempen
Eric Thompson
Ron Powell
Len Hogg
Frank Ryan
Terry Wenban
John Sullivan
Kevin Harding
Brian Bridges
Mark Ramsay
Geoff Bowness
Harold Fryer
Kevin Quinn
Greg Brooks
Paul McCammon
Tony Rodrick
Steve Kiss
Peter Zambelis
Jim Ferguson

Women
Ruth Guerster
Leanne Moyle
Barbara Richmond
Debbie Biviano
Del Da Re
Danielle McAdam
Kat Willeme
Trish Kourtesis
Liz Van Der Horst
Cheryl Munson

What ever happened to these people?
Feel free to list others.
I haven’t heard Kevin Harding’s name for years I used to work with him back in the late 70s

Ian Bradford won $250,000 on who wants to be a Millionaire, a few years ago now, I was watching the show.Peter Van Kempen the last time I seen him he told me he strained his back just putting a Ball on the return and wasn't bowling this was during the 90's at Balgowlah, never heard of him Bowling again.Terry Wenban still tries to Bowl, mostly Seniors now. Geoff Bowness was in a Car accident and I never seen him Bowl again. Peter Zambelis still Bowls but is restricted from the results of a Stroke he had whilst he was Manager of Rutherford Bowl many years ago but he still Coaches many a Junior. Cheryl Munson I think still Drills balls in Animals Pro Shop in QLD, she thinks she's too old to Bowl. Ruth Guerster and I think Jim Furguson are both Deceased

John Sullivan seen him Bowl at Campelltown a few years ago at the Legends Re-Union, I bowled on the same pair and never recognised him. Others at the Re-union get together at Campbelltown, John Leo (didn't bowl was 80) Trudie Gould was still Bowling intercentre, Bob Cook made an appearence, Steve Mackie was Bowling with wife Dana Miller Mackie, Anne Marie Putney was around but has given up Bowling

Cheryl Munson I think still Drills balls in Animals Pro Shop in QLD,
Hi Willey
Cheryl works out of her home or Ashmore ;)
Animal ( Lawrie Hill ) operates & drills at Animals Proshop :D
regards
Carol

Thanks for that I havn't been to QLD for a while so I don't know my way around I just assumed, probably because Carol's name comes with the post, for Animals Pro Shop, I got confused with Cheryl, like 1 and 1 make 3, sorry

Thanks for that I havn't been to QLD for a while so I don't know my way around I just assumed, probably because Carol's name comes with the post, for Animals Pro Shop, I got confused with Cheryl, like 1 and 1 make 3, sorry

All good .. Animal & I both respond as this ;) Have a Happy New Year
cheers
Lawrie& Carol

Back
Top Bottom