My Fairy Tale Broken

Pugzly

Once upon a time, there was a story that Tenpin Bowlers could roll the perfect game, a 300. We tried and we tried and we tried some more. Some were successful, but most of us weren’t.
Nowadays we see 300’s rolled with monotonous regularity. “That 13 year old blind kid on 3 just rolled a 300”. Sheesh… what am I doing wrong?
When I started bowling, (40 years ago), you could win a car for rolling a 300. Then you could win $5000 for doing the same. Now you get $500 if you are the FIRST to roll a 300 in a tournament! What am I getting at your asking??
On Monday night at a local Brisbane bowling centre I finally did what I’ve been trying to do for 40 years. At the age of 58, I finally got my first 300 game!
There was nobody behind the lanes wishing me luck, there was no buzz about “hey he’s got 9 up… izze gunnu choke?” . There was absolutely nothing. I got congratulated by about 6 people out of the entire league after doing my best. But… I had the big announcement over the sound system…. What?.... oh, we don’t do that any more! Well at least I get a plaque….what… $30 for the first one…. Jeezus, why did I bother.
Come on people, the sport is flagging. We are trying to increase participation. Why would anybody want to keep going on and striving to get that perfect game. Some form of recognition is needed in anything we do. Why not bowling? I know this sounds like sour grapes, and I suppose to some extent it is, but, what about the new guy or gal on the next lanes. They bust their arse to get a 200 or 250 for what?. The only recognition they get is what they can afford to buy for themselves.
They just watched, or maybe they didn’t watch that told timer just chuck a 300, they look around and say, I thought that was the best that could be done! Where is the fuss? “Wanna go to the pub for some real action?” I couldn’t believe that a bowling centre no longer recognizes a 300 game with an announcement. It’s like running a race, crossing the line and finding everyone’s gone home!
If nothing else, at least I have my 300 game finally and when I get my $30 plaque I will probably sleep with it under my pillow for a while.
By the way, I rolled my first 300 game the day after the Queensland State Training Squad weekend. Should tell you something about the coaches they use. Thank you to Gail Torrens, Vaughan White, Andy Grandison, Grant Otago, Ian Schuler and last but not the least National Coach Chris Batson. May you all live forever.
Pugzly

Ian you're not altogether wrong.
Once upon a time there was wow factor, today mostly its all a big yawn.

However having said that, there are some who realise exactly what that 300 means to you.

When you've been bowling for that length of time and still come back for more, you certainly deserve it.

And when you work in Administration for love of the Sport you thoroughly deserve it.

Added to that when you work in the State Office and put up with all of us (and still come up smiling) you absolutely deserve it.

So Ian there is some wow factor left...:)

Congratulations Ian....well done. :woot_jump:
Too bad you are on the other side of town.

A tad sad that your league doesn't go into overdrive when a bowler is on the front 9...

situation last Thursday night at Aspley -
Shannon Poulitsas had front 9, rolled the 1oth - Bowlers stood back as not to interrupt his momentum, and willing his 11th into the pocket, then as the bowlers started inching their way behind his lanes there was an almighty RAW ...300. Hugs all round.

Very proud of our league members and the way they support each other.

By the way, Shannon is 18 and bowled with the two handed style....

Good Luck Ian for more 300 games to come.

Cheers
Mrs P.

Firstly, congratulations on the 300. It was in 1811, and still is in 2011, a wonderful achievement.
Second, I thought TBA gave the fisrt 300 plaque for free?
Third, I agree with rewarding the 200 game, then the 225 etc. Remember the little chain badge things? I still have mine and remember getting the 100 game link, the 125 etc. I can't remember if it got to 250 or 275. I certainly never was awarded the 300 one. Shame, it was something I kept for years and dreamed that someday it would go all the way to 300. Oh well, I have the plaques, the money, the balls etc.
Last, don't feel that way, you obviously bowl in the wrong league (or ran over somebody's cat). The last 300 I saw was Nathan Stein's at Gympie. I knew he had the front 10, but was 10 lanes away. From the roar it was unmistakable - he had just bowled his 12th strike and a 300. From the bowling I've been involved in, the murmors still start... "he has the front 8".... people gather after 9 to see the 10th frame. The buzz is still there, even when it's Carl or George going for their 72nd career 300 game. Damn! I youtube TV 300s I've seen 100 times and still enjoy it.

Just enjoy it - YOU bowled a 300!

I had a tear in my eyes after reading your post Pugsly, I too am "over the hill" and still trying to bowl a 300, I always said I would retire if I did bowl one, but deep down inside I know that's not true.

No true recognition.....doesn't really matter, I have had medals stolen and that hurts, but you know deep down you KNOW you bowled that 300 game and nobody on this earth can take that away from you.

Well done mate, treasure the memory of bowling that last ball and the feeling you had in your heart when all ten pins fell down. You will never forget it.

You are a legend and a fine example to others who will not see 50 again.

We have never met but I always remember a name. Perhaps see you in Queensland at the Nats later this year.

Josie Adams;)

Ian, be proud of yourself, 300's ARE AN ACHIEVEMENT!!!

The fact that you did not get your big fanfare with all the excitement, is a bit of a let down for you but, keep the chin up.

Few others may have congratulated you - all that matters is that it made you feel good.

Where there is one, others soon may follow and keep up the great bowling.

Well done ian, congrats on your first 300, i know that LCT used to pay $300 to the first 10 people who bowled a three hundred for that year. always worth asking robert about that too, not much recognition but cant hurt to ask

Its always good to watch someones first, of course its even better to throw one. I threw my first in the 80's with urethane, back then I got $1000 from the association, a shirt, a watch, and a huge plaque that went over the lanes, and you got your picture in Pin Action sadly now you get almost no money, you have to buy the watch, the plaque (and the patch I think now) and what magazine sorry ?

Yes it is an achievement whether its your first or your 41st, do not let anyone kid you of that and for putting up with Mr Shinnie & Mrs Torrens everyday you deserve a medal :D !

Well done Ian I am sorry i wasn't there to see it, lets hope that you don't have to wait for another 40 years for another one.

I think it is tremendous that you have perfected what you have been doing for 40 years. I bet you have enjoyed every minute of your bowling career! No matter if you are Carl Bottomley or Fred Bloggs...everybody deserves to be congratulated for bowling a 300.
When I bowled my first and only 300 to date in October 2009 it was also bowled at Logan City. I subbed in the Monday night singles they have there. I had a few people congratulate me however when I rang home and was put on loud speaker to tell Wendy and the boys they didn't believe me...how's that for feeling the love!!! :)

Congrats Ian, keep the fire burning mate!!!

Grant

Mate, I endorse all those remarks - and I DON'T think any of what you said was 'sour grapes.' Anyhow, you're only a teenager. You yet have time to get bored bowling them. Yes, yes, I know - I am joking.

I loved your post and I read it out aloud to my family. Like me, they were also very moved and they don't bowl. Congratulations on your 300 game and hope this is the first of many more. I hope I will get to sleep with a 300 plaque under my pillow one day.
Maddy Hill

Hi Ian
Congratulations on your 1st 300 game. :thumbup:
it is a HUGE achievement.
Whether it is your first or 30th.... a 300 is a 300.... you still have to stand on the approach, keep your cool and concentration so that you can hit your spot on that final shot and you did it.

I find it suprising that the centre did not announce it after you bowled it.
At Caboolture it is common practise for the console staff to be watching all 18 lanes throughout a league and spot anyone close to a 300, so that when they have finished their game it is announced, and it doesn't matter what size the league it is done.
Maybe Batesy and his staff spoils us but thats part of why we bowl there.....

Carol

Ian,

Don't let anybody tell you, or make you think that bowling a 300 isn't a MASSIVE ACHIEVEMENT. To stand up and throw 12 good shots (most of the time :D) takes a lot of concentration and composure. You should be extremely proud of yourself.

I remember when I bowled my first one in 1996, and I was that nervous that I remembered stepping up on the approach for the 12th shot, and I remembered the ball hitting the pocket but everything else was a blank.

It then took me 8 years to bowl my second, which gave me just as much joy and pride as my first.

I am extremely lucky to have bowled 7 x 300's thus far (been bowling for 33 years), but it has now been 2 and a bit years since my last and if I am lucky enough to bowl another one I will be celebrating it like it was my first.

Congratulations and good luck on reaching the holy grail again.

Cheers

Steve

Congrats Ian on your 1st and hopefully not your last 300. Your fairy tale was achieved and no one can take that away. It was what you were expecting that didn’t live up to its part.

Well done again.

Hammo

Congratulations Ian. There is another post also on this website, posted by Christine Titheradge and there are many congratulations there. Bowlers do care and we all crave that 300 whether it be your first or 101st. I have only bowled a clayton's 300 - 12 in a row over 2 games but that still felt good to throw 12 in a row....
It is just awesome for you and there will be many more to come....well done.

Annie

Back
Top Bottom