Motiv Balls Banned By USBC

Loose Cannon

Bowlers always have time to spare.
The United States Bowling Congress has revoked approval of two Motiv brand bowling balls and removed them from the list of balls approved for competition effective today, March 15, 2016. The revocation comes after USBC determined that the Jackal and Jackal Carnage balls do not comply with current specifications and requirements in the USBC Equipment Specifications and Certifications Manual.

USBC testing showed a significant percentage of the Jackal and Jackal Carnage, both produced by Motiv, exceeded the maximum 0.060" differential radius of gyration standard specification during spot checks of bowling balls in the field. Both balls were originally approved based on test balls submitted by Motiv. The Jackal had been approved for competition in Sept. 2014 while the Jackal Carnage was approved for use in late Dec. 2015.

The following section of the Equipment Specifications and Certifications Manual details USBC governance in this situation:

The USBC possesses the right to spot check bowling balls during the course of the year. USBC approval may be revoked if it is determined that the production balls are significantly different than the submitted test balls or do not comply with current specifications and requirements outlined in the USBC Equipment Specifications and Certifications Manual.

Pursuant to the penalties outlined in the USBC Equipment Specifications and Certification Manual, Motiv is placed on probationary status with USBC for one year, and subject to a fine of $16,000.

Unapproved bowling balls may not be used in USBC certified competition. Bowlers who used the Jackal or Jackal Carnage in competition on or before March 15, 2016 with no prior knowledge of their ball being out of specification would not be subject to forfeiture under USBC rules.

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622326199

Motiv have said they are putting a form together to put on their website by the 23rd of March which will enable bowlers who have purchased these balls to enter their details to get a replacement ball from their Motiv range or a credit on a future new release ball.

Don't know what that means for overseas bowlers and shipping costs.

Unfortunately I had 2 jackals drilled 10 days ago. also had 2 drilled last year so I'll have to wait and see what the outcome will be.

Last edited:
Motiv have said they are putting a form together to put on their website by the 23rd of March which will enable bowlers who have purchased these balls to enter their details to get a replacement ball from their Motiv range or a credit on a future new release ball.

Don't know what that means for overseas bowlers and shipping costs.

Unfortunately I had 2 jackals drilled 10 days ago. also had 2 drilled last year so I'll have to wait and see what the outcome will be.

I'd dare say it would go through the Australian distributor.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Tenpin Bowling Australia has today confirmed that two Motiv bowling balls, the Jackal and Jackal Carnage, have been removed from the list of approved bowling balls that can be used in TBA accredited tournaments and leagues as at 16th March, 2016.
This decision has been made following the announcement from the United States Bowling Congress (USBC) who revoked the approval of the two Motiv balls after determining that the balls do not comply with current specifications and requirements in the USBC Equipment Specifications and Certifications Manual.

USBC testing showed a significant percentage of the Jackal and Jackal Carnage, exceeded the maximum 0.060" differential radius of gyration standard specification during spot checks of bowling balls in the field. Both balls were originally approved based on test balls submitted by Motiv. The Jackal had been approved for competition in September 2014 while the Jackal Carnage was approved for use in late December 2015.

For bowlers who used the Jackal or Jackal Carnage in accredited tournaments or leagues on or before March 16th, 2016 will not be subject to penalties under TBA rules but after this date anyone using these balls or any unapproved bowling ball will be subject to TBA rule 127 and 601.

For Australian bowlers who have purchased the Motiv Jackal or Jackal Carnage, Motiv has announced via their website that they will replace the bowling ball with a current model or a future release of the Jackal but will not be able to reimburse drilling fees.

The company expects a form to be made available online by March 23rd, where bowlers can lodge their details and the authorised Australian distributor KM Bowling Supplies will contact Pro Shops in Australia about the issues.

For further information please visit the Motiv website here or contact KM Bowling Supplies distributor Ken McLachlan via 0488 300 212 or [email protected].

Thanks for that, now the question is how will this get filtered down to league level so people are not bowling with illegal equipment?

Hello Everyone,

Hopefully most of you would know be by now but if not, my name is Ken McLachlan and I am the exclusive authorised distributor of Motiv Bowling products here in Australia.

As you can imagine, this recent news from the USBC has been a big shock and I am personally devastated for Motiv as a company who are a great bunch of guys and fantastic to work with. I was the one who communicated this information to TBA as it is clear with the USBC ruling that both the Jackal and Jackal Carnage balls will not be able to be used from March 16 2015 in any TBA sanctioned league or tournament as per rules 127 and 601.

I would ask everyone in Australia at this time to please be patient as we have only been given this notification by the USBC. We are all still working through things and when I receive more information and instruction from Motiv, I will be in touch with all those customers who have purchased balls via KM Bowling Supplies in the next week or so. But please be assured, as the Australian distributor, I will take care of people who have purchased these Motiv products through me.

If you have any further questions or concerns, I would ask that you either directly email or call/text rather than communicate on here as I don't check TB very often. My phone number and email address is below.

Thanks!

Regards
Ken McLachlan
C/O KM Bowling Supplies
M: 0488-300-212
E: [email protected]

Last edited:
Thanks for that, now the question is how will this get filtered down to league level so people are not bowling with illegal equipment?
I wouldn't be too worried about that. From what I've seen, every bush lawyer and their trained ferret will be waiting to pounce on some poor unsuspecting soul on this front.

Motiv are a truly innovative company whose people make some of the best balls on the market. My "too good to sell" list has a lot of them on it. It's not the first time something like this has happened. It won't be the last. It's always unfortunate, though.

What I find amazing is how they can get "fined". Smacks of those private parking mobs.

Jason is of course correct this has happened before and will probably again.............mind you whilst I don't know Ken McLachlan his response is exceptionally professional and having been in his shoes in the past understand what he is going through. Those impacted I'm sure will cut Ken a little slack to let him work through the logistical BS he now has before him. As for the $16k fine - well USBC can apply any penalty it sees fit - of course the company fined could simply ignore it - but then of course there is a sizable downside to doing so. Someone wisely told me many years ago " the bowling industry is a very small fish bowl - if you want to stay in the water don't crap in it - one day you will probably have to swim through it".

So true, Steve.

As a side thought, I love how a core can be 2/1000" over spec and the "authorities" come down on you like the wrath of God and potentially bust your business, putting jobs in struggling Michigan on the line, but you can oil a lane at 10:1, strap a big ol' mechanical device onto your arm or sand a ball with 240 grit abralon and all of that is just peachy! I'll tell you which ones are really cheating and it's not the infinitesimal manufacturing defect in the core...

Yes, Motiv messed up, but the hypocrisy of USBC's knee jerk is breathtaking.

Back to study, now...

Last edited:
Well said JD.

And when was the last time we saw a ball checked for static weights before an event to make sure they are drilled legal?

Well said JD.

And when was the last time we saw a ball checked for static weights before an event to make sure they are drilled legal?
Mine Last Year in Sydney Seniors Championship
Hmmm maybe cause I'm 2 Handed!!! lol

They also checked a bunch of them during Junior National Championships / Presidents Shield the other week.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yep, and how many balls go un-scaled, i recon a much larger number of out of spec ball are used and slip through into an event without ever being checked.

That's just bowling these days.

Back
Top Bottom