LOOK OUT FOR THE WERRIBEE YOUTH CHALLENGE

Werribee

Werribee
Here is a biggy to add to your list of tournaments to bowl in next year...
THE 2003 WERRIBEE YOUTH CHALLENGE.

We have now secured our sponsor and plan to host a 2 day event 22/23 February 2003. We will be venturing to have this as a ranked event for Youth bowlers, more on that at a later date.

Format: A group of Youth Bowlers have designed the format. 2 squads of 44 bowlers bowl 10 games of qualifying.
We cut to the top 32. They then bowl another 6 games on day 2. Then the top 12 go on to match play.

The remaining 76 still get a chance in the matchplay of graded division. We will add handicaps to their scores and the top 10 will have a playoff.

There will not be a male and female division, but females will receive 7 pins.

And the prize money???? First spot will take home $1500 at this point. But the more entries the better the money. We will run a third squad if needed.

What does every one think? (I can blame Matto, Mickey, Luke and Dale if you don't like it... so fire away).

Where is Werribee? In between Melbourne and Geelong, and about 20 minutes away from Tullamarine.

Hope to see every one at this event!

Edi

Hey Peoples,

No one has put in their opinion so here goes. Please don't take this the wrong way, this is just my opinion. Please keep that in mind.

I personally believe the 7 pins for females should be scrapped. 7 pins for a bowler of my standers (140) average will do absolutely nothing. I personally believe that we should make it scratch and then have a seperate male/female handicap devision at the end. (the last 72 bowlers) maybe cut it at 10 female, 10 male???

I am just trying to get more girls to get involved in tournaments like this one. If the format stays the way it is, I will not be bowling. Sorry. I am sure there are other girls that feel this way. We need to get more girls involed at all levels. Personally i belive that a seperate male/female handicap devision is one way of doing something about it.

I do understand that a group of boys did the format. Maybe you should get more girls imput!! There are lots of us around I am sure they would be glad to help!!! On the other hand the boys should be congratulated on a great effort so Far. Well done!!

Werribee challenge thingy

I had would have to agree with Jenn on this. You have to understand that most youth girls, pardoning a few would not want to compete against the likes of Belmo, Jarod etc (if they bowl of course) You should be encouraging the girls to bowl by creating a separate devision, so they feel they have a better chance, not that some girls couldnt give the guys a run for their money (GO JADE!) lol.
But seriously, a girls division would be a better idea to bring in the girls.
because 7 pins is going to mean absoulte jack when all the guys a re still bowling 20 pins better than me! :D :D

well i stopped reading after the date...
doh!
i was planning on hosting a youth tournament sometime around then cos its the only time thats not totally conjested with tournaments... oh well.. my dumbass mistake. good luck with it :)

thanks for the reply.

Without feedback it is really hard to supply a format which is agreeable to males and females, so thanks to Jenn and Carly for their assistance.

I would love to hear from a couple more girls as to their opinion and whether it would make the difference as to whether you bowl or not, as naturally you can't just change things for 2 people, I would really appreciate a wider concensus.

But both Carly and Jenn know me well enough to know I do take their comments seriously and will rework my figures and ideas to see if we can do this. It will effect payouts having 2 categories naturally, but we may have to scrap the graded area or reduce that because to be a ranked tournament we do need to maintain 1st place payouts.

Please give me your opinions as I would like to have entries out before the end of the year.

Happy Bowling all,

Edi

Hi guys!!

Edi i rekon that your tourny idea is a good idea, altho i do agree with Jenn and Carly. I am one of those girls that hasn't quite got the confidence to bowl against those top youth guys. If u were to have seperate divisions you would attract alot more girls. Just my thoughts :)

Bye ppls!!

Looks like we may be having 3 divisions (male and female scratch and one graded division) after all. There is a possibility of more funds becoming available through another source. This means that we can maintain decent prizefund whilst also making all divsions happy.

It also goes to show that if no one speaks up, we would never have known what you guys want in a tournament. Thanks to those who have so far had an input in this. Keep those comments coming.....

Also, if you are interested in keeping informed and receiving an entry form, just send me your details at [email protected]

Thanks again,

Edi

Werribee,

I too agree with Carly and Jenn. I think the tournament would get a bigger following if separate divisions were introduced. Not only would you get more girls but you may get a wider range of ability as lower average girls wouldnt feel as disadvantaged.

Just my opinion and others may disagree.

I am also with the other girls that have commented on this... make it a separate girls division!!

The idea of the 7 pins handicap for girls was tried at the Sydney Youth Masters and if my memory serves me correctly, was not a success as far as female entries are concerned.

Edi,

Great to hear from you on here! The idea of your tournament has come along nicely. The format is great! I can see the others point in the 7 pin advantage, but i also think your idea of three divisions is fantastic. The 3 divisions will give the lower average bowlers in the state a chance to come along and get a taste of what it is actually like outside of their area championships.

Please keep us informed of whats going on with the tournament. Either way you will see me there.

Thanks
Kim Barry

Hey All,

Firstly i would like to say it is good to see that there is going to be another youth tournment on the calendar with decent prize money :) i will be there for sure Put my name down now. :)

i have a suggestion tho or more of a question ? Why is it cutting to 32 then down to 12 ? Fair enough i know the first cut is a good idea but i am guess all pinfall is carry over, well i hope it would be with that format but i dont understand why is it down to 12 and not 16. The way i am looking at it is that for the person that is coming 32nd more then likely they are not going to have a chance at all at making the 12, so they will be very reluctant to get up early on a sunday morning for nothing really. I think cutting it back to 16 would be better or even just the first cut to 24. This is just a opion not a critisim of the tournment becasue no matter what i will be there :)

One more thing c'mon girls 7 pins is HEAPS get at there and give it a go. Over 12 games that it 85 pins just in the first day. So over the whole tournment the girls would be getting a total of 203 pins started before i have thrown a ball. I have said it before there is no disadvantage for girls in this sport as it has been shown that the two best bowliers in the country are females been cara and maxine. :)
p.s this is only a joke so please no one go off the deep end over this comment.

Until next time.........

The idea of cutting to the top 32, then the top 12 was just to add a bit of interest. Naturally if we have seperate male/female divisions (as we now are) it will alter slightly. Perhaps top 24 boys and 12 girls depending on numbers in each division, we will work on it. We have time on our hands at present so we will work it out to please the majority.

After speaking with Peter Coburn (VTBA) he had worked out that with the under 23 Melbourne Cup their would have been no change in results with the 7 pins for girls, so girls.. you will definitely get your own division!

Once again, thanks for your input.

Edi

Edi,

Thanks heaps for taking our suggestions into account! Just like to say that if the girls do have their own division i will b there along with many others girls i am sure.

Would just like to say to Edi she is doing a fantastic job organising a tournament like this one.

For now, to everyone, thanks for your imput and if all goes well. See you there!!!!

Edi,

Thanks heaps for taking our suggestions into account! Just like to say that if the girls do have their own division i will b there along with many others girls i am sure.

Would just like to say to Edi she is doing a fantastic job organising a tournament like this one.

For now, to everyone, thanks for your imput and if all goes well. See you there!!!!

Back
Top Bottom