Leaving Slugs in Plug Jobs

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
Help please!

I've been appalled to see big chunks of thumb slug (over ½ the slug) left in plugged balls lately. It seems to be the latest trend in the race to the bottom in dodgy work.

I'm sure this used to be against the rules, but can find nothing in the rule book about it. (It's certainly against the rules of pro shops I've drilled here and in the U.S.)

Can someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks,
Jason

What is the problem?

Vinyl slugs, or slugs that have been glued in with super glue (ick!) should be drilled out completely. But a urethane slug properly fixed with epoxy - why bother?

unless there is a void in the ball I can't see the problem. Nothing different to the old "ice-cubes" of old plugging dropped in to cut down on waste.

Of course, it's only an extra few seconds to take that last bit of slug out!

What is the problem?

Vinyl slugs, or slugs that have been glued in with super glue (ick!) should be drilled out completely. But a urethane slug properly fixed with epoxy - why bother?

Those vinyl slugs are the ones I've seen left in the most. Looking back at my post, I haven't explained my thinking thoroughly enough.

The crux of my question/problem is this:
Is it OK to leave a foreign object in the ball?

We know that a metallic one is out of the question and that plugging is a foreign object but does anyone know if plugging has to be within a certain weight/volume ratio? If not, then there's some pretty damned heavy or lightweight resins out there. BYO mass bias, anyone?

Plugging material must, by rule, be similar to but not necessarily identical to the ball material. Yes, metals are out. There is also a rule that states you cannot increase the weight of a bowling ball to greater than the manufactured weight, which is only practically relevant if you wish to plug/slug very light balls.

I explored this when the 'no balance hole rule' was proposed, and a noted coach was expressing concern about the restrictions it would impose on bowlers. My response was - drill the balance hole, 3/4 fill with polystyrene foam and plug over the top.

There are no rules AFAIK regarding the density of plug, but realistically there is not much of a range available. Not too many people have access to stuff like barium salts to bulk up the density, and even fewer have the technical skills to successfully tweak rg, diff and bias, so I'd class that as a non-issue unless the USBC changes the rules dramatically. If they do, my drilling prices will go up. ;)

My issue with vinyl slugs is that they are very soft, decreasing the integrity of the slug (not a problem if it's deep enough, I guess) and that they leak plasticiser and dye like a sieve.

\soapbox...
Super glue should not be used for slugs except for emergencies. It is both harder than the ball and brittle, so impacts on the slug shatter the glue and the attached coverstock. That initiates cracks which propagate through the coverstock, generating the typical annular cracking seen around many thumb slugs. It is also a moisture curing glue, and often won't cure properly in a freshly drilled hole (super glue relies on the thin layer of water present on the surface of everything in contact with the air to bond) so occasionally the slugs loosen or fall out. 5 minute Araldite takes a bit longer to cure, but gives a permanent, secure fix and virtually eliminates cracking.

/soapbox. :D

I think it is wrong. I recently got a used Lane #1 Uranium Solid that has been plugged and re-drilled 4 times prior to me getting it drilled for my hand and it has been a victim of the dodgy slug-plug job. My ball driller decided that it shouldn't be a problem to drill it label. Out on the lanes, the ball refused to hook no matter what I tried and also, it tracked over the ring finger and thumb hole!

Surely doing these dodgy slug-plug jobs would effect static weights just enough to throw the ball out of balance.

unless there is a void in the ball I can't see the problem. Nothing different to the old "ice-cubes" of old plugging dropped in to cut down on waste.

Of course, it's only an extra few seconds to take that last bit of slug out!
I've got no problem using leftover plug bits. It's a great idea that saves waste and doesn't affect the density of the plug job. I use them often in the bottom of plugging.

Funnily enough, another ball I saw had a big chunk of slug left in it and had the red ice cube plugging leftovers in the surface of a previous green plug. It had clearly been filled with leftovers above the surface of the ball, then poured, leaving little red trapezia across the surface. This is probably OK if you're a Rabbitohs supporter with a penchant for terazzo, but (again - call me old fashioned) it just looks cheap and is likely to fall out in time.

Rob, good point with regard to vinyl. Another ball I saw had two vinyl slugs hidden away under about ½" of plug. Looked like I was drilling into rock candy and had about the same density. (OK, I can live with urethane slugs fixed with epoxy. That's pretty tough stuff.)

Zoidberg, I don't think plugging had much to do with your unfortunate episode. There's a lot of variables that could cause your problem. It may explain why so many people had on-sold the ball though. A good pro shop operator can sort this out for you.

I've seen a ball that was sold to a friend where a slug seemed to be the plug job. When i drilled it out to fix it i found that slug filled about the top half of the hole then there was a void and part of another slug in the bottom!! I guess someone was doing an experiment to see what less top weight did to the ball or something. Oh this was in the centre of the span too with the thumb and fingers plugged normally.

That is a pretty ordinary piece of work. Slugs, IIRC, must have holes drilled through them to avoid voids in the ball. So you cannot legally use a slug as a plug, unless you are drilling into it again.

Gee, this subject shows me how much I've forgotten ( or never knew) about ball drilling generally. Haven't been drilling balls for about 13 years, so that's a good excuse.
Drilled balls as long ago as the early '60s. Was easy then - no fancy weight blocks, or different coverstocks. We drilled the holes straight over the 'heavy spot' so that the ball was as close as dammit to being in balance.
Funny that. - They still hooked. Must have had something to do with the way we released them.

I'm guessing the reason why those plastic and rubber balls hooked back then was because of the amount of oil on the lane.

Back
Top Bottom