KIRSTEN PENNY WINS QATAR INTERNATIONAL OPEN

elsie

NEWSFLASH - Tuesday, 22 January 2008

KIRSTEN POCKETS A PRETTY PENNY
AT 7TH QATAR INTERNATIONAL OPEN

It was third time lucky for England’s Kirsten Penny who edged out Wu Siu Hong from Hong Kong to clinch the champion’s title at this year’s Qatar International Open. A magnificent trophy and US$50,000 in prizemoney was the stunning reward for Penny whose best finish in her previous two entries at this world-renowned event was a top-16 placing.

Yesterday afternoon’s final rounds commenced at 1pm when the field was cut from 16 to top eight after four games. Number one seed, Wu ousted Jason Belmonte from Australia 440-426, while local hero Mubarak Al-Muraikhi secured a semi-final berth with a slim two-pin margin over Sweden’s Martin Larsen 473-471. On the adjoining lanes, the two female quarter-finalists, Shalin Zulkifli and Kirsten Penny comfortably overcame their opponents Choi Bok Eum from Korea and Malaysia’s Adrian Ang to advance to the semis.

Despite spirited performances throughout this tournament, Shalin Zulkifli from Malaysia failed to reach the grand final after losing to Penny 418-436, and Qatari triple gold-medallist from last year’s Pan-Arab Games, Mubarak Al-Muraikhi was also narrowly defeated by an in-form Wu Siu Hong 421-371.

The grand-final match, televised live by Qatar TV, was a gripping event that came down to the final frames. Overcoming a brief lapse in the second game, Penny maintained her composure to glide past the hapless Wu and secure the title 479-460.

“I haven’t had the best results with matchplay in the past, so I like the two-game format,” she told reporters after the win. “It works better for me, especially with the eight pins bonus because it was a mixed event this year…it’s a nice start to each game,” she added, grinning.

The 8th Qatar International Open will be held from 4-13 December 2008, as the final event for 2008 of the popular European Bowling Tour – further details of this tournament and the forthcoming H.H. Emir Cup also hosted by the Qatar Bowling Federation scheduled for 9-30 March, will be found on the QBF website – www.qatarbowling.net

ends

lynne clay

Back
Top Bottom