Just an idea

desmondo

There has been a lot of talk about what is right and wrong with Rauchig.

One idea that I had was to find a way that might bring in more spectators. This should lead to more sponsors and hopefully TV coverage.

It seems to me that we need to put on the tournament when more people can get to see it. Obviosuly, this means either on the weekend or in the evening during the week.

I then thought a little more about the format of the matches and wondered if we could create a shorter, sharper night format.

This led me to thinking about singles, doubles or triples at night rather than 5 person teams.

The result of my thought process is outlined below:

Day 1: 3 rounds of 5 person teams
Night 1: Singles rounds (outlined below)
Day 2: 3 rounds of 5 person teams
Night 2: 5 rounds of doubles/triples (outlined below)
Day 3: 3 rounds of 5 person teams
Night 3: 4 rounds of doubles/triples
Night 4: Stepladder final (possibility for TV?)

Singles rounds:
Round 1 - all 70 bowl, top 32 on score go through to round 2
Round 2 - top 16 go through to Round 3
Round 3 - top 8 go through to round 4
Round 4 - top 4 go through
Round 5 - top 2 go through
round 6 - top 2 head to head

Round 1 eliminated get 2 points each
Round 2 eleminated get 6 points each
Round 3 eliminated get 8 points each
Round 4 eleminated get 12 points each
Round 5 eliminated get 16 points each
Round 6 eleminated get 20 points
Winner gets 24 points

Total points 360

Doubles and Triples Rounds - 9 rounds all up
2 doubles and 1 triples team for each state.
2 points for a doubles win and 4 for a triples win. That is, 8 points up per match, 5 matches per round, 40 points per round, 9 rounds equates to 360 points in total

Teams - 5 person teams - 9 rounds - 8 points per match, 40 points per round, 360 points in total.
1 point per match head to head and 3 for the team win.

A further variant could be to have step ladder finals on the 4th night for the top three teams (a greater chance to get TV coverage).

The main thoughts for the above were to create a more accessable, spectaor and TV friendly tournament. As an aside, it means that all bowlers are guaranteed some games (in singles and doubles/trios rounds).

Obviously, this is fairly rough but I was wondering what people thought and whether it is worth developing the idea further.

Cheers
Des

Sorry.... no, I don't like it.

Rachuig has history. Rachuig has tradition. Let's keep it that way. I enjoyed bowling the same event, same format as my father did 30+ years ago.

Maybe try the idea with Holt or ATBSO.... or some other team event.

Just my opinion.

Like the format for a teams event and has some general merit .....

However Im with Droooo ..... like the history and tradition of Rachuig, its always been a straight out teams 'scratch match' so to speak and would like to see it stay that way. Open to the idea of changes in time/days possibly, but leave the rest as is as far as format goes.

I can understand the importance of tradition, but I can also understand the need for Tenpin Bowling, and it's premier event to evolve.

Other sports like AFL and NRL, the game has changed over the past 20-30 years with new rule changes, new competition formats etc and Cricket has evolved with the introduction of the Tweny20 format and changes to the One day game.

Maybe Rachuig needs a change of format to evolve and maybe the bowlers need a new challenge. It'll still be Tenpin Bowlings premier event, it'll still be Rachuig, bowlers are still representing their state.... so there wouldn't be a lack of tradition.

My two cents

I can understand the importance of tradition, but I can also understand the need for Tenpin Bowling, and it's premier event to evolve.

Other sports like AFL and NRL, the game has changed over the past 20-30 years with new rule changes, new competition formats etc and Cricket has evolved with the introduction of the Tweny20 format and changes to the One day game.

Maybe Rachuig needs a change of format to evolve and maybe the bowlers need a new challenge. It'll still be Tenpin Bowlings premier event, it'll still be Rachuig, bowlers are still representing their state.... so there wouldn't be a lack of tradition.

My two cents

Traditional cricket is test match cricket, only slight changes over time. AFL and NRL have experienced some rule changes yes, however the scoring format and length of the traditional game hasn't really changed.

Maybe some slight tweaking of the rules is required, but don't think we need to move from tradition that is Rachuig - 5 man teams.

Traditional cricket is test match cricket, only slight changes over time. AFL and NRL have experienced some rule changes yes, however the scoring format and length of the traditional game hasn't really changed.

Maybe some slight tweaking of the rules is required, but don't think we need to move from tradition that is Rachuig - 5 man teams.

FYI rugby league use to only award 3 points for a try :p

5-man teams can still be apart of the format, but whats wrong with injecting singles, doubles and triples into the format??

Question: Should Rachuig ever make it to TV, do you think they would televise a 5-man team event???

most the problems with rachuig evolve around the process of actually getting there, its a state problem, not a national one

maybe t.b.a needs to implement an across the board qualifying criteria, and take it out of the state's hands

less red tape equals more competitors

This was my first year of Rachuig and l thought it was great! I'm not sure how the other bowlers feel about it but personally l didn't bowl hoping to get on TV. Tweaking Rachuig to make it more TV friendly is not possible, 5 man teams is never going to be quick, especially with Trotts bowling! and if it's not 5 man teams then it aint Rachuig. Going head to head with guys like Fred Allsopp, Sam Romeo, Brendan Meads, Ashley Riley, Michael Muir, being on the lanes with Paul the animal Trotter and the rest of my team was awesome. The energy and buzz is hard to describe to people that haven't done it. This is the premier team event in Austalia and every bowler there fights for every win for 3 days. It's exhausting and thrilling all at the same time and l will be having a crack next year for sure. Minimum games gets my thumbs down, no-one wants to be left in if they are having an off day. Letting everyone down is probably the most nerve wracking part of it, and some people may bowl through it and come good and others may not. A team member on the bench should be reading off the other blokes just as every one of us did when we switched pairs. The lead off guy throws a shot and we all watch to see how the reaction was, then made adjustments from that so in an effect we all could line up as soon as the first shot was made. Everything has cycles and l believe that Rachuig may be in a low at the moment on numbers trying out, but l also believe that it will turn.

The Masters at the end of the week is a singles competion 5 game head to head first to 3 wins. The Nationals at the start of the week is singles, doubles, mixed, and 5 man teams. Maybe with the increase in prize money next year we will see some International bowlers and TV interest may follow, time will tell.
Congratulations to Tassie, NSW, and Queensland on their wins. Thankyou to Tassie for the memorable final game and especially to Ashley for having the respect to wait until all of us had finished right down to the last delivery,
Cheers till next year,
Paul Robinson.

most the problems with rachuig evolve around the process of actually getting there, its a state problem, not a national one

maybe t.b.a needs to implement an across the board qualifying criteria, and take it out of the state's hands

less red tape equals more competitors

Totally agree

most the problems with rachuig evolve around the process of actually getting there, its a state problem, not a national one.

Not such a bad idea. It would at least eliminate all the Selection v Roll-off arguments.

Back
Top Bottom