IPSWICH TWIN TOUR RESULTS

FLOWER

What a difference a week makes - from K & K Classic at Kedron to Twin Tour at Ipswich......the difference in atmosphere in the centre with higher scores was just amazing - NO! I don't mean totally unrealistic scores but from an organizers point of view, to have HAPPY bowlers instead of GRUMPIES is much better for our sport. The winners of tournaments on tough conditions will be the winners of tournaments on 'easier' conditions, however, my belief is that the 'extras' who fill our tournaments now need to gain the experience against the top bowlers and taking away all confidence with really tough conditions is not the way to encourage them to return.

I just love smiley faces ................. once again, thanks to Dino and staff at Ipswich and also my team - backing up to 120 bowlers after a major effort the weekend before is to be commended - Congrats. and to all the supporting bowlers - once again THANK YOU and get your entries in for Greenslopes on 1st and 2nd May...........

RESULTS ARE ATTACHED:

FLOWER

Is " easier " the right word here ?
22 men averaging over 200 sounds just too good to be true. In my opinion, it doesn't help promote good bowling to have ridicuolusly easy conditions just as hard conditions are not what the extras as you call them want either.
Sure, it's nice to say I averaged over 200 for the tournament, but how will the egos react when they go back to their leagues and have to struggle to make their 170 or whatever average they are on ?
Don't get me wrong .....I too like to score well but I like to do it because I have bowled well, not because of a set up condition.

Brookie King,
There is always one of you isn't there mate!
You can't let a positive post remain a positive post!

Part of the point in bowling in one of Mary's twin tour tournaments is to build confidence and score well and take this confidence gained from Mary's tournaments and strive to become a better bowler.
The twin tour brings together QLD's best bowlers with bowlers who are keen to get better, and even just bowlers who are burn't out old Hippy's that just love to bowl. So what better way to become a better bowler than to build your confidence whilst bowling against some of QLD's best bowlers?
How many middle range bowlers are going to become dedicated to the sport if they have never averaged over 170 in a tournament in their life?
Also if you check the scores from the last Twin Tour they arn't all easy. But in the end the person who bowled best on the "easy" condition is still the winner arn't they?

Anyway no point going on about it, but why put s#*t on something that has been very positive for the sport of bowling in QLD? If you don't agree, go and have a sulk! Don't turn a positive post into a negative one just because you have nothing better to whinge about!

Hope to see you at a Twin Tour soon mate!

Ronnie

As the Sponsors of the K & K Classics, we too like to see smiling faces from our Bowlers. Being bowlers ourselves, we also know the difference between an easy 'condition' and a hard 'condition'.

K & K Classics, being a Nationally Ranked Tournament, the condition was laid down by the TBA. The Tournament in Bundamba was not a Nationally Ranked Tournament and the 'condition' was laid down by the house.

This could be the difference between smiling faces and GRUMPY faces. Do you, as fellow bowlers prefer to average over 200 on a 'condition' not Ranked and win nothing or do you wish to average 170 on a Ranked 'condition' and still win nothing. Is a National Ranking so important.

I have spoken to many of the 'EXTRAS' and they feel that by bowling average or above on a house 'condition' and not cashing is a better feeling.

Your thoughts please....

Clean Up With K & K

i think it all boils down to what oiling machine the differnt centres are useing. The k & k was with an Amf machine which is only supposed to oil 10 lanes. The TBA might of set what condition was laid down, but what actually the machine laid down who knows. Ipswich laid there condition down with a Kegal. This could be why scoreing was easier. Everyone bowls on the same shot. who wins is who ever bowled better on the day. I personally dont care what condition is laid down, I turn up to a tornament to bowl on whats there and if i only avg 190 than so be it. Over 130 bowlers to Mary's Twin Tour thats an acievement to itself. 24 bowlers out of 130 over the card condition couldnt of been that easy.

To those who at least put their concerns into public words!!!

The post re K & K was not correct - TBA did NOT put down the condition - AMF did not work co-operatively towards getting a pattern down within a decent time span before the event and then hurriedly reduced the oil in the middle to create a legal pattern. TBA were not to blame but AMF and centres who are holding Ranked Tourns. need to consider organisers, sponsors and bowlers who do not need the extra 'anxiety' this lack of planning causes.

Brookie - have a look at the results from our first Twin Tour at Kedron!! - averages in the Twin Tour are after the first Tour Stop (10 games) - you may then understand why the entering averages were so low - however, Ipswich has now evened things out for the rest of the year (as that was the PLAN - to go to a 'tuff' centre first then an 'easy - averages are readjusted after each Stop). We (the team) felt that it is a bit more even if different bowlers have a chance to cash......trust me, the competition to join the 'MINUS CLUB' is fierce.

Averages are an 'old chestnut' - you are damned if you do and damned if you don't - so JUST DO IT!! The tour has had increasing numbers each year so hopefully, we are appealing to a great mix of bowlers. Hope you can get down here to bowl in one to check us out - or if you don't like handicap tourns. the QUEENSLAND LADIES CLASSIC is at Caboolture (TBA Lane Policy will apply - with a Kegel) on 26th/27th June - this is an Open Ladies Ranked Tourn.

FLOWER

hi all , mary and i have talked :wink: :wink: about lane conditions at length over a period of a couple of years and from the talks the sport series was created to give the bowlers who wanted to be challenged something to bowl in. i have bowled the twin tour for the past 3 years and have enjoyed it because of the different centres different conditions we get to bowl on , some are easy some not so easy but the 1 thing remains the same... the enjoyment everyone gets from bowling in the twin tour.

with mary's numbers growing and having over 100 bowlers at her tournys she is doing something right!!!!

ps. brookie if u want to be challenged come bowl the sport series at ipswich superbowl on the 6th of june !!!!!!!!

Hammer
You said everyone bowls on the same shot and the winner is the better bowler! I have to disagree with that. I run a centre with a Kegel Lane conditioner and I can say the better bowler does not always win.
We can lay down a condition which opens up the edge from 2 board to 10 board which some people just cannot miss, depending on the ball selection and their hand rotation.
This condition make it impossible for the bowler who plays through the middle of the lane with more revs to compete.
I then have another condition that take the outside edge out of play and gives the bowler with more hand a bigger shot.
(Its not whos bowling better) its whos got the right ball and the right shot for that particular condition.
I know you going to say a bowler should be able to adjust but as you would know - No bowler who stands on the left handside of the approach and throws the ball through 15 to the gutter feels really comfortable bowling straight up 5 board.
As for conditions being to easy unfortunately with more and more centres buying new lane conditioners the mark has been set. Bowling centres cannot aford to set up low scoring conditions as Milton once did. As much as we don't like it we have to keep up with technoligy. Who knows whats next!!
Jeff.

To Mary Flower and Ipswich bowl - fantastic effort - the Twin tour in my eyes is for everyone to bowl at different centres and have a bit of fun. Ipswich was alot of fun and to score well you still had to bowl well.

From my perspective sometimes the point of having fun is missed. The political crap and constant bickering that is quite frequent in our sport (at all levels) takes away from the fun and I'm sure I'm not the only one that wonders if its worth staying with the sport.

Mary, you are an asset to this sport, you encourage everyone to get in and have a go and just have fun. Congratulations on the continuing growth and success of the Twin tour and I will defiantely keep supporting the tour.

Congratulations to Mary, her team and Ipswich Bowl. The conditions were not "easy", but if you found a line it was consistent.

The Twin Tour is about fun, camaraderie and yes you can get some money back if it's your day. Even then it's a relatively cheap day out. But the greatest thing about the Twin Tour (and the ATBSO and Sports Series circuits) is that it promotes bowler participation. Centres should take note of that and their tills might open more. Don't put down rubbish conditions that are inconsistent. Bowlers pay good money to bowl these days and we need to keep numbers up.

It concerns me how Hobart numbers have dwindled over the years and we don't want that to happen up here. I believe that a Twin Tour type circuit down there would help greatly (now that Moonah conditions have improved) by including the northern centres in the circuit. The Twin Tour and ATBSO attracts bowlers from up tp 300 kms from Brisbane so I'm certain it would work elsewhere.

I bowled both the K & K and Ipswich and had a good time at both, but for different reasons. Being "grumpy" doesn't mean that the cream bowlers in the K & K were that - these good bowlers focus intensely and that is why us mere mortals aren't in their class. And I applaud them.

Sorry "Grumpie", I'm with Ronnie and Mary.

Cheers :D

Feral

Dear me.....it appears I might have said the wrong thing by expressing my opinion, something I believe we are still entitled to do since we live in a free, democratic society.

Ronnie....did I say anything about Mary's tournaments not being good? Or her post ?I simply stated that I, me and only me, thought it wasn't good for bowling to have a really easy condition due to the fact that it takes a fair bit of the skill factor out of the game.

Mary, you deserve all the congrats you get for organizing and running what appears to be a very successful circuit. I wish we had something of that calibre up north for us to bowl in. And thanks for the invite.....I would also love to bowl in the tourney at Caboolture but unfortunately , nature blessed me with the wrong chromosones. ( I'm a man for those that didn't get that lol ).

Finally, the chance to bowl down south would be great but it's something most of us up this way have neither the funds to do or the time. A lot easier to travel 300 klms that it is to travel 1,800klms.

We may live in God's country but He doesn't pay for our bowling !!

Those scores might have indicated an 'easy'condition 15 or so yrs ago when almost every 220+ performance was greeted with suspicion but to keep the scoring at that level these days takes some skill by maintenence staff, if they were bone easy the top 22 would have bettered 220 not 200. Almost anyone can put down a shut your eyes and throw right shot or a blatant reverse block(both conditions as 'unfair' and not in the spirit of bowling as each other by the way) but to keep the scores somewhere in the middle like this indicates a job well done.

My abject apologies, Brookie!!! As I do not know you, I ASSumed!!!

As for travelling, how far do you think it is to Melbourne, Sydney etc? Sth. Qld. bowlers have only 2 Ranked tourns. plus Grafton (a bit of a drive) here as against 3 in Nth. Qld. pretty close to each other and there is more of a culture of travelling interstate here - airfares are much better these days and I think if you ask around, billets could be found (just do NOT ask Ronnie!!!!! consult Sam etc. about that!!) We had Townsville, Mackay and Rocky bowlers here for the K & K so it is a good start. The experience and knowledge gained is worth it!!

I will send you some info. if you like and you can check out the Twin Tour format - easy to do and could be adapted to a mobile circuit - Townsville is only 4 hrs. from Cairns - JUST DO IT!!! or get someone to do it - sitting on butt does not achieve anything and wishing will not make it happen......

Take some holidays next year and check out the attractions of the Great South!! Not as hot either (was it only 41.7 fairly recently?) and you CAN swim down here at the beach......by the way, if you go to Half Moon Bay - have a XXXX at the Yacht Club for me - nearly my favourite bit of NQ.

FLOWER

Back
Top Bottom