Intimidation and tactics...

mickyd213

Don't know if this has been brought up before but the search function isn't working...

I know that intimidation and tactics have been a part of bowling since I can remember but when does this cross the line and become bad sportsmanship? Strangely enough, I find it more prevalent in juniors and team events such as Presidents shield and Rachuig.

I noticed during the junior masters that some did it better than others and how effective it can be. But while at the Orange open or any other open event that bowlers just seem to bowl and not worry about that side of the game...

What are your thoughts?

I think it's more prevalent in team events, as it should be. The game is a mental game, and sometimes, in team events in particular, it only takes a bit of noise created by one team to gain an edge over the others team....

When intimidation backfires...

Intimidation on the lanes has been around forever... I remember a big guy (who shall remain unnamed) from Victoria looming over then then little (14 or 15 years old) Nick Separovich in his Presidents Shield shirt at the Australian Junior Masters at Mt Gravatt circa 1985. His massive bulk casting a shadow over little Nicky that would have made the temperature drop. Dressed in his Leichhardt Juniors shirt, Nick (God bless him) just stared back straight up into his eyes, glazed over and gave him his best "Children of the Damned" impersonation! A few seconds later, our Mexican assailant was visibly shaken when it was over. He realised he was up against someone a little crazier than he was! Little Nicky won the bluff, then won the match. We were all so proud of him!

I don't know who won the Masters that year, Nick Separovich was my champion! He stared down a guy he had to stare straight up at! :)

I think it becomes bad sportsmanship when it's a deliberate move to put off another player and there are rules covering that. But God forbid that we just end up with a line of robots bowling. That would be a tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom