Ideal health regimen for bowlers

S

Showboat

Hi room,
Just wondering out there what are some of the do's and don'ts for being a reasonable bowler at a Tournament, State or National level when it comes to such things as:
* Diet
* Level of exercise
* Training programs
* Gym Work/ Exercise
* On Lane Practice/ Skills work

Other things may add up into the equation with sacrifices such as giving away smoking/drinking etcetera.

Just wondering what some of the bowlers out there are doing when it comes to fitness, it would make an interesting read.
Like to hear from everybody on this one.

This is a really late reply....but oh well. In response to your questions. Before a tournament I make sure I always have a really good nutritious breakfast where possible. A good meal the night before and during is also essential. I drink LOTS of water the night before, even two nights before, and this continues through the tournament.

In regards to practice on the lanes, don't overdo it!!! I can't stress this one enough. In terms of how much to do it varies from person to person. I find that league is enough preparation for me. Regular excercise is certainly a plus as it increases your energy and strength. I don't do gym workout stuff, just other stuff like running and jogging...which I haven't done for quite a while actually :oops: but oh well.

Alcohol generally is a no-no, but some would no doubt debate this one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well it's a late reply but I hope it answers some questions. :D :D :D

Health Regime for Tenpin athletes

That is a pretty HUGE question - TBAQ have information available to everyone concerning the types of exercises that are tenpin specific and If you would like to send some postage money and photocopy money to TBAQ we would be happy to send you information about a generic fitness regime at a gym and using free weights at home.

If you are a 'hands on' type of person you can also contact your local University and get an Exercise Physiologist doing their last year at UNi to go to the gym and run you through a few disciplines and technique does and don'ts. Every Year I try to do a Gym program for the people I coach with an Excercise physiologist. I have phoned the local Uni - asked for the Human Movement Dept - and then requested contact number of a student to assist - at the least they will give your particulars to the student and then they will contact you. I normally pay $ 30 to $50 to the student for their time (divide this expense by the number of persons who want to attend) - they really do appreciate support because of the expenses at Uni and most of the students are doing it tough.

If you continue the Gym work - great - If you don't that is up to you. I also get the exercise physiologist to prepare alternative ways to keep fit when travelling and also at home. I believe this is great value. If you have a university close by you can get expert assistance on any subject. This system also helps the sport of Tenpin because - new professional sports persons are learning about our sport by preparing sport specific sessions and understanding the demands of our sport through talking to more coaches and athletes such as yourself. :D :D :D :D

Until you start talking to these people you don't appreciate that they DO have something to offer us all and are very eager to help.

Let me know how you get on = and I think it is really great tenpin bowlers are interested in the 'complete' package of an athlete. TBA are also promoting the 'athlete' package to selected athletes - so start by picking the phone up just as you have started by striking the key on your computer.

If you would like the fitness regime prepared by TBAQ - please write to:
Gail Torrens
TBAQ
Sports House - 150 Caxton St
Milton Qld 4064.

Photocopy and postage please allow $15.00 - Kelly Warren who looks after TBAQ Office administration will forward the work I have prepared to those interested.

Best regards
Gail

Back
Top Bottom