Other How to compare balls from different manufacturers.

Ice

Can someone advise me how to compare 2 balls by 2 different manufacturers when they use different scales to measure hook, length etc reactions. It is very tempting to stick with one manufacturer so as to be able to compare new balls with those I already have.

yer u answerd your own question. stick with one company and u will have no problems

I couldn't disagree more. The only reason that you should stick to just one company is if you have to. ie: sponsorship

When I started i was usng ebonite from the word go, then i tried a columbia throttle and loved it (the only ball i like from columbia) and at the moment i am loving storm stuff.

The best way to compare balls is to watch other people with similar styles thow the ball, and see if you like the reaction/roll, or find someone with a similar span that is throwing the ball you are interested in, and throw their ball down (with their permission of course)

I gotta agree with Tonx on this one. :shock:
The best way i've found to try stuff from other companies is to find someone with a similar span and throw their stuff.
Its basically impossible to judge how a ball, especially from a manufacturer your not used to, will work for you until after you've forked out the money for it.
What i've tended to do in the past is rely on recommendations from my coach and from bowlers with similar styles.

Brendan

yes u could try other people stuff but what about comparing the RG and differential? that could always work

penut: I am sure that you will find that not many people actually compare balls by the rg or diff when they are buying a ball, the simple reason is because there are so many variables in bowling. The drilling is also a major factor in how a ball reacts/rolls, as well as fine tuning the surface. There is NO way to tell what ball/brand is the best for you until you either try it, or buy it, thats the fun of bowling!!!

PS: brendan agreeing with me? wow must be on something!!! lol :D :D