How can they boost numbers for Championships/Masters

Shopping math......

A shopper will pay $2 for a $1 item if they want it bad enough........

Cost may be a considerable factor for some but for the majority they simply don't want the product (bowling) bad enough.

I think you have to look at making the product more attractive rather than reducing it's cost.

Cheap games............it costs more money to produce a game of tenpins than what you realize.............there are a lot of overheads involved with running a bowling centre, especially when a lot of the products used inside the centre have to be imported from the states.

Shawn

To reply to this I do understand the cost for games and whats involved but for 2 or 3 weekendes once a year is it going to put them out of business if they do same mates rates, bull ****. Its for 1 tournament and thats it, Why not get TBAQ to try some, ring around and see which cenrtres would consider this if not the $10.50 is still ok, but $25 per event x 3 events, plus qulaify $10 (lucky for just 1 attempt), plus petrol say you have to travel (there and back 1/2 tank) $40, Plus if you make masters $65 (petrol again $40) . For alot of people theres no return especially those in Hervey Bay, Kingaroy, Gympie and any other place out back. If events cam down to $17 or $18, qualify to $5 thats a good saving $30 so its more cost effective for everyody

Now unless you do extemely well in the masters you get nothing back(most people sometimes are just happy to mke the field and bowl and see where they come, most people are realistic that its hard to beat Brando & George or anyone who is on top of there game at the time). People are wanting to bowl Twin Tour and Sports Series pay $70 and have a very good chance of getting there money back or at least getting good value. They are doing well because of good game rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 x 4
Also if not already have an average bracket of say 180 or 190-210 so there is more chance of having a chance to win (ie not getting smashed by the champs Brando & George) there are alot of ones between 190-210 that cant always shoot 700/800 not like the top of the line bowlers of today, why not give them a chnce to win instead of open or classic that everybody is in.

Not sure if we would actually get the time to run this ... it's only over 2 weekends and if someone from the country areas wanted to bowl 'Classic Cup' and Open Masters, they'd have to come down 2 weeks in a row ?... Then again, Paul Chambers came into the champs on a 181 avg and ran 4th in the Open Masters. Those watching thought he was a real chance to take it out.

Was looking at this as a championships grading (although this may thin out the numbers more), not for masters. Open masters is fine the way it is you just have to be great on the day to win, nothing wrong in that at all, who cares and Brando & George win if they deserve it good for them. Its upto you to beat them

9 x 4 said:
Was looking at this as a championships grading (although this may thin out the numbers more), not for masters. Open masters is fine the way it is you just have to be great on the day to win, nothing wrong in that at all, who cares and Brando & George win if they deserve it good for them. Its upto you to beat them

The Championship Gradings are in accordance with the national body. Classic Grade is 185-199.

Andrew S. said:
Nathan regarding the game rates, it wouild be nice to have a game rate under $4 but unfortunately we can't dictate to AMF.
It makes it hard when the current open play rate for Qld (as advertised on their website) is $12.50 - and although we too think it should be a privilege to hold a State Championship, AMF Managers are under considerable pressure to improve their bottom line.
I think Brunswick Tech has nailed it when he says we need to make the product more attractive.
We need a format that will bring in the entries. Maybe scrap the singles and doubles events and take all results from a Team entry only?
We certainly need the Centres on side, if we can get them to push the event we should get more participants. For that we may need some form of cash incentive scheme.
Maybe qualify in league to represent the Centre as a Team? Charge a qualifying fee with part of it going to the Centre and part of it going towards the entry fee?
What do others think?

If this is so why can you not simply say no to AMF, why does it have to be in an AMF centre, we all know there prices are always goinog to be going up, make them sign a contract with TBAQ that the fees for states will not change for 5 years, if they dont like it, fine they dont host the event. Give it to the best centre which can provide all the qualities

1.Decent game rates
2.Reliable lanes
3.Maintained lanes
4.Reutation in runnning/holding events

As to Brunswick Tech I know its not all about cost there are other things they need to do to sell it more, Im just raising the cost concern though in these points not having a dig at you

Nathan it doesn't have to be held in an AMF Centre, I simply mentioned AMF in response to your original post.
Both this year and last year it was held at Milton which is not an AMF Centre.
As for getting the best price - we send out tenders to both AMF and Independent Centres, and we count ourselves fortunate if we have as many as 10% of those tenders returned.
If we could get a better game price we would, we (TBAQ) are on excellent terms with most Qld Centres as we have either Schools Programs or Coaching Programs operating in most of them at any given time.
However the bottom line is all important to them and we are not in any position to insist on them signing contracts or dictating to them how to run their businesses.
Yes it would be nice if they could dedicate their lanes for two weekends of the year, but there is as much likelihood of that happening as there is of me bowling a 700 series. In all probability it's a most unlikely event.

9 x 4 said:
As to Brunswick Tech I know its not all about cost there are other things they need to do to sell it more, Im just raising the cost concern though in these points not having a dig at you

Mate, I didn't for 1 second think you were having a dig at me.........we all have different points of veiw and I enjoy reading them all.

The point with game rates is that tournaments are generally held during prime social bowling time, when the centre can get maxium game rate.

You will find it extremely difficult to convince any centre that they should put on more staff, run the machinery all day and spend more $$$$$$ cleaning and conditioning lanes all weekend for $4 a game when they can charge $10 a game for no extra outlay........it's just not good business sense, which is why centres just aren't interested in the hassle of hosting tournaments.

If you owned a business, any business, would you forfeit the chance to make easy money in return to work at your maxium intensity for the same money? for even 1 weekend per year?

Not a tough question for bowling centre proprieters who are struggling to make ends meet.............

Shawn

Andrew S. said:
Yes it would be nice if they could dedicate their lanes for two weekends of the year, but there is as much likelihood of that happening as there is of me bowling a 700 series. In all probability it's a most unlikely event.

Someone with such striking good looks must surely have shot a 700 Andrew? The good thing about bowling is there is always a 4th game in the series to crack 700 :) There's hope for you yet.

Thanks to the tournament committee and volunteers for running the masters so well, it was an enjoyable day.

flyingpig.gif

In my opinion the best way to increase participation is to keep costs down as much as possible, as the majority of participants are not there expecting to make money but to have a go and for the self satisfaction of perhaps a win. Being new to the area, I do not know if they are held at the same time every year but this consistency would help with awareness.

I don't believe that too many rules should be changed, it will only cause more confusion and more problems. With participation people get to know the rules and you have less hassles. Championships have always been about bowling all events to be eligible for Master's qualifying and unless you are new to bowling people know that..........so why change it? I don't want to get into a bitch session but why was a Junior allowed to bowl in Adult Championships to begin with??? I would have thought it would have been clearly not allowed. And it is not like this young lady is a stranger to bowling or a newcomer, I'm sure most would have known she is a Junior. Sad for those who had their scores disallowed, unfortunate, but I guess a lesson to all, know the rules, take them seriously and if you not sure you better check.

Firstly congrats to all who won in the masters over the state champs, do our state proud at the nationals.

Secondly glad to see " Whats in it for ME!!! " and " How this effect ME!!! " section are still believing in what they are doing is right for the "Sport of Tenpin Bowling" . When are you people ever going to wake up!!!!

When will everyone involved across the board "Local/National" get on the SAME PAGE and put the sport they love to play FIRST.

Sad fact is that Bowling in general needs an major overhaul and move with the times. Unfortunately I think "we" have been a bit slow to act and what power "we" had is quickly diminishing.

From a very tired and disappointed,
hamster

ps To those bowlers who stuck their hand up and donated their time to making the State Champs/Masters, Well Done.

Brunswick Tech said:
Mate, I didn't for 1 second think you were having a dig at me.........we all have different points of veiw and I enjoy reading them all.
The point with game rates is that tournaments are generally held during prime social bowling time, when the centre can get maxium game rate.
You will find it extremely difficult to convince any centre that they should put on more staff, run the machinery all day and spend more $$$$$$ cleaning and conditioning lanes all weekend for $4 a game when they can charge $10 a game for no extra outlay........it's just not good business sense, which is why centres just aren't interested in the hassle of hosting tournaments.
If you owned a business, any business, would you forfeit the chance to make easy money in return to work at your maxium intensity for the same money? for even 1 weekend per year?
Not a tough question for bowling centre proprieters who are struggling to make ends meet.............
Shawn

Good Point Shawn - Touche

But with what Hammo said WHEN is bowling going to be put first for a change, Hammo has hit it the nail on the head, if no one bowled they would have put it first and change there ways for once.

Look at America and then us, look at the way AMF is heading at the moment.

Its upto TBA and centres around Australia to start giving a little to ensure more people otherwise watch the numbers disappear

I was just wondering how long it takes to work out if there are any funds over to maybe pay 2nd and 3rd in handicapped masters and 3-6 in scratch.

Thanks Paul

Easy solution.

Naked ladies who wipe your balls and hand them to you before your shot!

Easy, numbers boosted!

RC said:
Easy solution.
Easy, numbers boosted!
GOLD

Im there
im sure numbers wouldnt be the only thing boosted ronnie ;)

RC said:
Easy solution.
Easy, numbers boosted!

Mate the way people post on here any more its not there balls they need help in wiping...Alot still need there arse wiping i am sure of that...;) Fix that and numbers will rise in the sport...

Back
Top Bottom