How a 900global ball is designed and poured

Pretty interesting, nice to see what a ball actually goes through when its made.

I'm not completely sure i understand why they want to make their ball absorb oil so much. As far as I knew, ball flare (aside from the physics of ball motion & its effects) will give the ball 'new' parts of the ball to roll on as it goes down the lane, keeping the original friction throughout its path of travel. In case of oil removal, we all have towels don't we lol? Sure, a towel might not remove all of the oil, but I know that I wouldn't want my ball to absorb all of the oil, eventually it would become soaked & useless... Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

When a ball goes down the lane, it is running through the oil. If the ball didn't absorb the oil then the ball wouldn't flare at all. Case in point is your common plastic ball that we all use as spare balls. The reason there is no flare on the ball is because the surface of the ball is so hard it doesnt absorb any oil. As the ball rolls on the oil it is absorbed a certain amount on our reactive balls, which creates friction on the surface, no friction, no hook. Eg the plastic. And yes over a certain amount of time the ball can become soaked and not perform as it did when new. Which is why ball maintenance is important.

Im not sure where flare and absorbtion rate come together, as a ball does not need to have friction to migrate its High RG axis (preffered spin axis) A machine called a DeTerminator does not expose any friction to the coverstock, yet it is the machine used to determine how strong a balls PSA is. The reason a plastic ball does not flare has to do with the Differential of the core. Put a high differential core into a plastic ball, and it will flare.

Oil absorbtion has a couple of different benefits.

1. From shot to shot, the reaction is more consistent. Yes it is recommended to wipe your ball down from shot to shot, but alot of bowlers don't bother, and an even greater number of bowlers use the wrong type of towel to wipe their ball, merely smearing the oil rather than wiping it off.

2. The channels that are created with the chemical reaction of the catalyst and the compound allow the ball to have a wider footprint on the lane. Similar to how tread on a tyre allow water on the road to channel into the low points. This provides extra 'grip' in the oil, to fight carry down characteristics. New technology reactives are aiming to provide similar grip in carried down oil as particle balls once did, yet unlike particles, release its energy in the right part of the lane.

3. Longevity of a ball is a matter of opinion. Some say ball death is about oil absorbtion, some say due to microfracturing of the coverstock from constant shock vibration. While I have opinions of ball death of my own, most times a ball can be revived using a rejuvinator oven or a hot water bath followed by a decent resurface. The cover in the video is one of the most durable covers ever made (break s75), and a simple wipe with a microfibre towel after every shot, followed by a good clean before putting in the bag will have it lasting 100's of games with no problems.

Mjmclo, oil doesn't cause a ball to flare. The weight block shifting to a different position is what causes the ball to flare. I've even had a ball flare a little on a ball spinner, when I've had to leave it to attend a machine problem. (I guess that was a more simplified explanation)

Thanks for clearing that up tonx. With that said, a 'soaker' having a wide foot print would theoretically dry out a lane quicker? Or create an early track at least. Could play havoc on your opponents game, whilst reaping the benefits of a ball that doesn't just burn out.

Thanks for clearing that up tonx. With that said, a 'soaker' having a wide foot print would theoretically dry out a lane quicker? Or create an early track at least. Could play havoc on your opponents game, whilst reaping the benefits of a ball that doesn't just burn out.

All traffic on a lane will move the conditioner around. Dull balls will generally have a bias to dry the area of play up quicker, while polished balls will tend to push oil downlane. Soaker covers tend to act closer to dull balls, while still being able to control the length of reaction with different surfaces.

All balls burn up when they have used too much rotational energy before reaching the end of the pattern. Skid, Hook, Roll, Rollout is the known motion phase.

Using a polished soaker gives you more chance of retaining some sort of reaction, but ideally isn't suggested on dry or burnt lanes because they are still very aggressive.

A couple of common technique amongst the pros.

Alot of pros will create a burn spot during practise on a television pair. They then create a mini version of the house shot when they move inside that line. The technique is pretty hard to control unless you are very accurate with the line burn. Norm Duke won a tournament on shark playing up the outside, because during practise, burned a ditch in the outside part of the lane.

Alot of pros will use stronger (in this case soaker) coverstocks, and use very weak layouts. This allows the cover to react better to the transition from oil to friction, yet because the position of the core allows a little length before reaching its PSA, being able to "fight the burn" better. Strong balls drilled weak are a very good way for powerplayers to utilise the benefits of a stronger cover like a stroker typically would do naturally.

Hope this helps.

Indeed it does help, thanks.

I already knew about lane conditioner movement, & ball motion, but didn't know particularly that polished gear will move more oil down, rather than across compared to a duller ball (I just thought carry down was a given amongst all balls.)

Back
Top Bottom