Hertiage City Open Maryborough

Mark L

For the third year in a row Maryborough has had a great turnout in numbers, first thanks goes to all those bowlers that supported the tournment and we hope to see you all back next year.
This year we had 74 entries cutting to the top 26 bowlers.
Leading the qualifying was George Frillingos on a 225 ave, second was Lawrie Hill on a 223.4 ave seeing both of these bowlers sitting out till the 4th round.
The cut to 26 was very well contested and in every squad it came down to the last block for alot of bowlers to see some come through and some just falling short of the cut. The cut ended up going to Rob McGrath on a 206.3ave.
The first round saw a lot great bowling from all bowlers, half the matches went to 4 games and the other half to 5, seeing some upsets were going to be in the making for the day.
Second Round saw the high game for the tournment of 297 to Ian Phelan.
Agian round 2 and 3 saw half the field go to 4 games.
Round 4 saw our top Qualifers join, Lawrie come through his match unbeaten and showing why he was top 2 this weekend, George had it a bit tougher coming back from 2-0 to beat David Greenup in the final game 216 to 268.
Round 5 both matches went to five games seeing Kate Wilton in the drivers seat 2-1 up but came up short on the last game to lose to Lawrie Hill 192-193(damm 10 pin) well done to Kate.
George took 5 games to run down Dale Warren who bowled a impresive 21 games for the day, great bowling and stamina.Unfortunatly he lost the last game 225-222(damm bucket spare).
The final between George and Lawrie saw George coming home in 5 games again to take the title from Lawrie.
Well Done to George Frilingos on his win it was a great display of bowling.
The winner of the bowling ball raffel was Shane Jacobs from Sunshine Coast.
See everyone at Tweed Heads.

Was a damn good weekend. Just need a different motel for the weekend next yr(my back was knackered sunday morning, Carriers Arms next yr for sure!!!) And i'll be doing my 'avoid the burn' duty Friday night too!!! :p

Back
Top Bottom