Help with my technique please!!!

andyyporter

Hi everyone, I'm very new to taking bowling seriously. I've bowled many times with friends and am average at best, but I want to step it up and learn how to hook effectively.

I've done a ton of research into technique and have tried to apply it all as much as I can, bearing in mind I've only been twice since I started my research last week. I SERIOUSLY struggle with hooking anything heavier than a 7lb ball which frustrates me as I can easily bowl a 14lb ball dead straight, I just don't seem to have the strength to hook it. This leads me to believe that I'm either not strong enough to hook heavier than a 7lb ball or I'm just using improper technique which is stopping me from using a heavier ball.

Please have a look at the attached video and let me know what I'm doing wrong (second session attempting hooks). I would love some help as I really want to work up to a heavier ball for more impact on the pins.

The video does not show enough information to provide any immediate guidance. The video focusses on the ball, and not the bowler - and we all know it is the bowler that is responsible for what happens on the lane.

So, here are a few questions to start the conversation going:
- Where are you?
- Is that a 7lb house ball that you are trying to hook ?
- In your 'ton of research' did you come across anything that talked about axis of rotation, differential, ball surface or cores?
- Where are you?
- Have you considered talking to a qualified person instead of reading random stuff on the internet?

The video does not show enough information to provide any immediate guidance. The video focusses on the ball, and not the bowler - and we all know it is the bowler that is responsible for what happens on the lane.

So, here are a few questions to start the conversation going:
- Where are you?
- Is that a 7lb house ball that you are trying to hook ?
- In your 'ton of research' did you come across anything that talked about axis of rotation, differential, ball surface or cores?
- Where are you?
- Have you considered talking to a qualified person instead of reading random stuff on the internet?

Hi mate, cheers for replying!

- I’m in the UK, and ten pin bowling isn’t really a bustling sport over here so there really aren’t many qualified people to talk to. I haven’t found anyone in my area.
- Yes it is a 7lb house ball. I can’t even fathom how people hook anything heavier... and I know for a fact I’m not a weak person so I’m confused as to what’s going on.
- Yes to axis rotation, no to differential, yes to ball surface and yes to cores.

The reason I’m open to listening to “random stuff on the internet” is it’s the best I can get given my location.

OK - UK. Makes it hard to recommend coaches here in Australia :) . In your case, start with
https://coach.btba.org.uk/ and while you are there, have a browse through the resources of https://btba.org.uk/. This will be the National Sporting Body, similar to TBA (www.tenpin.org.au) here in Australia.

And, yes, do prepare a new video - one with you and your bowling technique as the main subject. A video of your normal shot as well as one that your are trying to do here will be of great assistance to any coach. But I can tell you now that what you think is required to hook a ball is totally wrong. And there is a chance you will do yourself an injury in the process.

Hi Andy,
First off, congratulations, you're doing plenty of things right! :) To generate hook, you need to have your thumb clearing the ball first, so that your fingers can apply leverage, creating revolutions, tilt and rotation. (Rev rate, then the angle of release in the X and Y axes.) There are many effective combinations, so think of your release as something you can control and develop variations on. BTW, a wrist device isn't the answer and limits your ability, long term.

My best advice from the other side of the world is to seek out a reputable coach and Pro Shop to get some tailored technical advice and a well fitted ball.

Cheers,
Jason

Just as Jason said get your thumb out first then lift with your fingers, do it slow. Have your thumb at about 11 o'clock and hold your wrist straight then exit the ball firstly with your thumb then lift through the ball with your fingers to get rotation. You should be bowling with a 15lb ball.

Back
Top Bottom