Help..! ! "dry" lanes.

Teek

Oldie
Can some of you "guy's" suggest way's of adjusting to "dry" lanes , or maybe i should say "broken down" lanes , e.g. third game of League play, i alway's seem to have trouble in the third game, e.g. : bowling well , looking like having a good night ( on target for a 600 series) then ?????? it seems like i have been "transported" to another centre.... :cry: .... nothing i do seems to "work" change hand position, line / target , ball , maybe i am not very good at "reading" the lanes as they are in "transition" or do i need a ball specifically for this lane condition...? :cry: sometimes i just go to a house ball, at least i can bowl my average with that, 170. it should be higher than that, but i usually seem to have one low game . 130-150. not alway's the last game, but it will be the game in which i have to make "adjustments" .

I have alot of problem on dry/broken down lanes... But my advice is too either shoot and outside line (5 board or a little further over) or a deep inside line (20 board) these usually work best...

Hope this helps in some way
Later

I tend to prefer an outside line with a 3-piece pearl urethane, with an up the back release, no turn.

Before i got my new ball which doesnt seem to be affected by lane conditions (so far anyway), i did experiement with a new line.

I found in my 4 game league, when i got to the last game, i couldnt bowl my usual line because it would just go high all the time, even when moving my feet.

So i experimented with moving to the next arrow in and moving my feet the appropriate distance too.

Theoretically, this meant that i had a completely new lot of oil to bowl on that my ball's track hadnt taken off my usual line.

The only problem moving more towards the centre is that straight bowlers tend to take some oil from there.

I never fully implemented this before i got my new ball, but the few times i did do it made a difference.

Help dry lanes

Probably a good description of how 'dry' and the length of oil or pattern of oil on the lane would be a start in offering advice on how to cope with normal oil travel or disappearance - and also what type of bowler you are - as some adjustments do not suit one type of bowler or another.

Speaking generally - the adjustments others have posted are worth a try but you have to assess simple facts like = do you just want to create a longer shot - more distance or changer the pocket angle which will only require a small adjustment not a large one.

Your adjustments will be equipment - always go for the surface of the ball that will give you the distance on the shot while still giving you action on the pins.
Area on the lane - change up to heavier oil (use inside boards) for a longer shot - practice relaxing when your head tells you to throw harder so your consistency does not suffer.

Your equipment and area on the lane can be changed at the same time - practise these adjustments and rather than go a bigger swinging shot practise parallel then small angle adjustments off the new area first.

Acceleration through the swing needs to be practised as many people increase their speed without the correct technique - and then their release becomes inconsistent - you know I am going to refer you to a coach to assess your adjustment methods - a competent coach will be able to tell you several adjustments to get the ball more length and also be able to give you several small adjustments to change your pocket angle.

Remember ball surface is 80% of equipment strategies - many reactive balls just load up with oil and stop reading the lane for you and then this also caused a catch 22 situation that will cause you to make bad adjustment decisions.

Hope you have a better time next series.

best wishes
Gail Torrens

Back
Top Bottom