Gripping the Ball

GillS

Scott Gillington
Just curious, when you go to grip your ball do you insert your fingers first or thumb???

Usually i go fingers first then thumb. Tried the opposite today & obviously it felt different but the revs & reaction seemed different as well.

Just interested to see who does what....

Years ago, there was a song called " Does Grandpapa Sleep With His Whiskers Under Or Over The Sheet?"

The way the song went was that he had never thought about it. When he did think about it, and tried it OVER---that didn't feel right.so he tried it UNDER, and he wasn't sure that was right either............ SO,.......... etc. I think he died of lack of sleep.

You should have left this question, for the next person you're bowling against, until, say, they are about to bowl the 9th. frame.

I love the way Tommy Jones does it, thumb first then rotate about 90degrees in hole then insert fingers.
I'm in the 99.5%.

You should have left this question, for the next person you're bowling against, until, say, they are about to bowl the 9th. frame.

I usually ask if they prefer starting with the right or left leg...

(gets some people second guessing anyway)

Thumb in the ball? What's that? :eek:
It's what those of us with backswings do...

Fingers 1st then thumb doubt if it makes a difference
Give it a go. Thumb in first reduces grip pressure in the fingers, as you can't dig them in as hard) and therefore reduces lift and loft in my experience. Makes the ball go faster through the front. Must add that to the "try at league" list for tonight...

As far as I know though, you need a slightly under-spanned drilling to be able to get the fingers in enough to put the thumb in first.

It must work for some, I mean look at Tommy Jones, he does it and it works for him, he says the way he does it (like Bluey said, thumb in, 90 degree turn, insert fingers) helps him get this thumb out clean.

The 'thumb in first' technique first came to light in the 1960's when US pro, the late Billy Welu, used and advertised the procedure in his book.

Like many stars of his day Welu threw a Full Roller delivery and suggested (I cant tell you why) that the thumb in first helped this release.

As far as I know though, you need a slightly under-spanned drilling to be able to get the fingers in enough to put the thumb in first.

It must work for some, I mean look at Tommy Jones, he does it and it works for him, he says the way he does it (like Bluey said, thumb in, 90 degree turn, insert fingers) helps him get this thumb out clean.

Nope. You need a correctly spanned ball to do it. One that allows for the second knuckle to bend sufficiently to accommodate the fact that the first one can't make an almost 90° turn. If the pads of your fingers aren't able to come to full contact with the internal face of your finger holes and you're just grabbing the edges, it's too long. (To paraphrase the late, great Bill Taylor.)

I did put it on my "to do at league" list on Tuesday night. And you don't need a removable thumb product to do it. Reduced my lift and loft substantially, getting me through the front of the lane much better than I've seen in months. (Maybe that's why Billy Welu liked it, Wal. That would have helped a lot on lacquer.) Made a fresh 2000 grit ball read the house ditch like a book and I shot 676 with about 10 stone 10's. That's the next bit I'm working on. Gotta get a reaction that slows the ball down a bit more to increase my carry. (It's so easy to overthrow a 15lb ball...)

I'll keep playing with that one.

I'm sure Billy Gardiner puts the thumb in first.

willey

I think you're right. I used to drill for Billy many years ago when I ran the pro shop at Chester Hill. He's got an unusually short thumb for such big, strong hands. (I remember getting a slug stuck about a ½" short and it was no problem!) Sure helps him clear the ball! He's bloody close to no-thumb and made Belmo look slow! ;)

I only saw one guy throw a 16lb ball harder than Billy when he wanted to. And that guy was something else. He did it fom the shortest back swing you ever saw!

Back
Top Bottom