Garden City New Year Open

C

Chubby

Well I think all of the fine tuning is finally complete, and after a few headaches the event is now ready to roll.
Some entry forms are already out there, thanks to Damien McAndrew's assistance.
The event is the Garden City New Year Open to be held on January 12th and 13th at Garden City Lanes Toowoomba.
Zane Que and myself have a large number of bowlers already commiting to the event, so anyone interested will need to get their entries in fast.
As Buddha has indicated in previous postings we have a guaranteed prize pool, thanks to some very generous sponsors.
1st prize of $2000 is guaranteed.
Entry is only $160.
Qualifying is 12 games, then cut to 24. A further 6 games before a further cut to 12 for matchplay, followed by a stepladder final series.
We have three squads on Saturday 12th January.
Anyone that would like an entry form sent to them is welcome to contact me by phone on 0438 301 739 or by e-mail to [email protected] or you can contact Zane on 0417 002 245.

I'm sure a lot of bowlers out there will recall the great Winfield Doubles tournaments held in Toowoomba in the late 70's and early 80's. So, how about it guys and girls, lets get together and support the first serious tournament in Toowoomba for 20 years.

PS (George)
I will include you as our first 'online entrant' in B squad. I will e-mail an entry form to you.

Regards All
Barry Fagg

HI Barry & Zane,

Well Zane its been a long time since the heady days of Clayfield Bowl. But its good to see you still knocking around.
Barry can you email me an entry form, I haven't seen one at Milton yet, maybe they were there and I didn't look.
I can't guarantee i'll be able to make it, but I will give it a good shot.
I would like to bowl B squad if its not full.

many thanks

Dale

DOWNLOAD ENTRY FORM FOR THIS TOURNAMENT HERE

Download a copy of the entry form at this link here.

It is in word format and is about 56k in size (very quick to download)

Cheers

Bazza

You might want to check with TBA but if first place is $2000 and you have more than 60 bowlers (could be 72) you might be able to obtain a National rated event classification. Queensland only has one for next year but since last week the Cairns Open in January have got National accreditation because they meet the guidelines.

I can't see why this event can't be the same, better start makng some calls. If you jag the National acreditation you might even see some bowlers from NSW come up here to boost numbers. It would be great to see Queensland with more than 2 events for the year.

G

THE TOURNAMENT IS ALSO OPEN TO THE FAIRER SEX.
WE HAVE INCLUDED A CASH PAYOUT OF $150 FOR THE HIGHEST FEMALE WHO DOES NOT MAKE THE FINAL PAYOUT. THIS WILL BE BASED ON AT LEAST 5 LADIES.
SO FAR I KNOW OF 3 THAT WILL BOWL IN THE EVENT.
SO COME LADIES, CARA HAS SHOWED THIS YEAR WHAT THE LADIES CAN DO IN AN OPEN EVENT.

George,
Bazz and I have spoken about your suggestion to have included as a ranked tournament. Bazz and I will make the calls, if it can be done, it will.

So far Bazz and Zane report that there is a lot of interest.

Thanks for the feedback.

Entry forms have been distributed around Brisbane by Damien McAndrew and some have gone to Greenslopes and Milton last weekend.
Anyone that is going to Canberra for Nationals and would like an entry form should look up Zane Que. He is taking a decent supply with him.
Otherwise, you are welcome to e-mail me your postal or e-mail address and I will send back to you asap.

We are currently looking into the process required for natioanl accreditation of this event and will report on this site regarding the findings.

Sad to see another tournament cancelled in Qld. Tournament players need to get together to work out why these events can't get the starters required.
Is it the money? (too expensive to enter)
Is it that they don't think they are good enough to compete?
Is the prizemoney not sufficient?

We have attempted with the inaugral Garden City New Year Open, to keep the cost to a minimum and seek as much sponsorship dollars as possible.
So far (and we still have more to come) we have over $4000 in sponsorship for this event.
Entries are continuing to come, but like all tournaments we need as many as we can get.
All those that are intending to come to Toowoomba in January should get back to me asap, to ensure your position in the field is held.
The names that we have so far mean that this WILL be a high class field.
There have been a number of great scores on the lanes over the last couple of weeks.
Bob Swift shooting 993 for 4.
Kevin Firth 297.
Myself with three 900's from four series.
Conditions are great.
So get your entries in now.

Have just received a number of entries from Brisbane tournament regulars.
Anyone wishing to enter should get your name in ASAP, as 'B' squad is almost full.
If you would like a spot, please either post a reply, or you can phone me on 0438 301 739, or Zane on 0417 002 245.
If you would like an entry form sent to you please let me know.
Overnight stay in Toowoomba can be arranged through one of our sponsors, Great Divide Motor Inn on 07 4639 6646. (Don't forget to mention the tournament when booking).

icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Any of you that are still contemplating this event, should get your entries in ASAP.
As of 22/12, B squad has only 1 entry left.
A & C squads are starting to fill slowly.
I suggest any of the QLD tournament regulars to get on to either Zane or myself as soon as you can to ensure you get the right squad.
Any of you that have indicated that you would bowl prior to us putting the tournament together, should ring now.
Phone numbers for Zane or myself have been posted on this site earlier, or on the official entry form.

Regards
Barry

PS
Have a merry xmas & we shall see plenty of you in Toowoomba in the new year.

Bazza

Did you manage to get national accreditation? Have you put my name down for B? If not C will be fine.

George

Hi Bazza. How are numbers looking for this tournament? I have a feeling this is really going to be a great weekend. Hope all is going well. For those who don't have there names down yet and are still ummming and arrring, give the guys a ring and lets make 2002 a much better year for tournament bowling. In the end they are there for the bowlers so lets all get behind them and make it a great year.
Hope to see you all there.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

George & Sean
Yes, I do have you in B squad George, which has only 1 spot left.
We have a total of 35 entries so far, with many more promised from regular tournament players. We should reach our goal of 60 (on which prize structure is based) quite easily. Even if we don't, (which is unlikely) the tournament will still proceed, as all bar $300 of the sponsorship dollars are already in the bank.
1st prize is guaranteed at $2,000 regardless of the number of entries.

In the end, we did not seek national accreditation.
Upon speaking to Frank, we decided just to get the event off the ground this time around, and look to bigger and better things for 2003.
National accreditation and national ranking are actually different terms, but the cost is still the same. We have accredited as a state tournament only, but we do have a couple of interstate competitors that have entered.
If you know of any other interested bowlers, please put them onto either Zane or myself, so we can book them in.

I understand there may be a big party in town that weekend as well!!!!!

So, come on people, let's make the first tournament of the year one to remember.

Hi Barry & Zane,

I just have a couple of questions for you.

1. I have not bowled competively (tournaments) probably since I was a junior. I would like to bowl in some this year but am unsure on whether I am a TBA Registered Player or for that fact what the whole deal is these days with registration? I bowled this year in a roaming league called 'Dash for Cash' I am sure I paid for Registration but I have no idea if it was TBA, TQI or whatever? Is there someone (person or place) I can find out?

2. This year I plan to bowl in a TQI sanctioned league at Mt Gravatt, I have been told that if I am registered in TQI it is good for TBA? or vice versa?

3. The reason I ask these first 2 questions is I want to be sure I am actually eligible to bowl!
icon_smile.gif
Providing this is all good ... Could you put me down for Squad A? (if you have any room)

I will get my entry form in the mail tommorrow.

Thanks Muchly
Mark

p.s. If anyone else can enlighten me that would be great
icon_smile.gif

Hi Barry, its Jason Lambert here
Just wondering, I rang Garden City on Saturday or Sunday regarding squads, and asked if i could put my name down for B squad. Just wondering if my name has been pencilled in??

Jason
The original message I received was that you preferred C squad, but I have just changed my list, and you have taken the final position in B squad.

That's right people, B squad is FULL.
C squad has not been too popular so far, but those travelling from out of town, may prefer C to A.

If you are intending an overnight stay in Toowoomba and need accommodation, we have a deal with the Great Divide Motor Inn. The phone number for bookings is 07 4639 6646.
Make sure you mention the tournament, so that you get the lower price.

Keep the entries coming.

Bazza

How you going for entries? What are the lanes going to be like? Any early tips from the form guide you have?

George

Hi Bazza,

Just confirming you have me down for C squad. Also, confirming that you will run with this squad based on the entries you have received to date.

Looking forward to coming up - should be a great tournament.

Cheers

Jon King

Hi Bazza & Zane,
Could u put me in C squad thanks.Could u also tell us the numbers in each squad?
Thanks
HAMO

Back
Top Bottom