funny thumbs

K

KimElliott

browsing through the WTBA rule book and came across this

Rule 308:......

Note:When delivering the ball the player must have his/her thumb in or over the thumbhole. It may not be 180 degrees away from the thumbhole.

Someone might need to explain that one? :? :?

I think it means that a bowler cannot deliver the ball with their thumb at like 6 o'clock, or 5 o'clock or whatever. That gives the ball back spin and from how I read it....you obviously aren't allowed to do it for some reason. :shock:

I would interpret the rule as - you cannot use the fingers about face - that is position your fingers in an opposite direction with your palm resting on the top of the ball - hence you must have your thumb in the ball or on top of the drilling for the thumb.

I have tried to explain - hope I am successful???? :shock:

I can not think of another interpretation of the rule that would make sense??? :?:

Cheers
Gail

hahhahha Thats the basis of what i said lol. It's all good though. Actually I think its the same exactly :D

Having the thumb at 180 degrees from the hole. I read that as gripping the ball with fingers only having turned the ball 180 degrees and the thumb hole is, in effect, facing the pins. This makes the thumb hole effectively a weight hole and therefore alter the dynamics and static weights of the ball. I would bet it would make nearly every ball drilled illegal in finger weight. If the ball already has a weight hole drilled in it as well as the thumb hole, then it automatically becomes illegal if thrown this way.

Funny

Well done Brenton - clear and concise. Exactly what Timmee and I tried to explain - Timmee threw me off with a description of 6 o'clock thumb ( I took it as looking down on the ball - as a ball driller would start out) - when Brenton described the thumb pointing to the pins I understood the ball is in stance in the bowlers hand - After all it is all in the telling - then it is all in the interpretation :roll: We all had the correct picture in the mind - so the rule was interpreted by us all pretty well.

Interesting - have to have a try at that and see what it does on the lane - just out of interest for fun - just in practise.

Thanks
Gail

Brenton is correct about the reason, but I think he is exaggerating a bit about 'nearly every ball' being automatically over on the finger weight. That would require a top weight of about 2 ounces - lots of balls have less than this, and less if the ball is drilled to have some finger weight originally.

Phunny Thumbs

This all refers to the current no-thumb drilling interpretation. However this will change on 1st January when TBA rules align with the new WTBA rules for 2004. Basically the drill regs for a no thumb bowler will be
1) Ball will be weighed with the centre of the fingers as grip centre
2) Max 1 ounce difference in any direction, including top vs bottom weight
3) Any unused holes count as weight holes and are limited to one maximum.

The changes in rules also affects unused finger holes.

As I understand it, the changes will be discussed in the next few weeks and posted on the TBA website before Jan 1

Sumo

Back
Top Bottom