FUBAR rookie

baron

Well with the Gold Cup not too far away now the mind games have already started. And with the Rachuig side being a little stronger this year MM cant help himself giving me little reminders of FUBAR's chances this year whenever he gets the chance. So I thought I would let everyone know how FUBAR is travelling at the minute. Basically the team is the same as last year with one obvious change. For those of you who have just got back from Mars our normal lead bowler and No 2 sledger (Wimpy will always have top spot there)is overseas so we have called up our own player from the US. His name is Neil Block and is of course married to the lovely Carol. A few stats on Neil: Age Mid 20's
Ave Lazy 220
300"s 17
So we are quite pleased with Scoops replacement but it wont be quite the same without the big fella but it will certainly give us a bit of inspiration to go back to back. Gold Cup has always been one of Alan and my favourite tournaments and the stories go way back. So barring any changes FUBAR this year will be Wimpy (Capt.) Ballmiester Hartman Stax, Bone Crusher Block, Tea Bags, and Knuckles Kury and of course The Scoopster. So lets see a few other teams on here would make interesting viewing.And to you Mick I look forward to the next verbal slinging match next time at golf. Always fun. The Baron.

PS I got word that Neil was secretly seen practising at Cannington so under rule 3c in the official FUBAR manual he was told to cease immediately or face the axe as practice is strictly forbidden!!!!!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey, Wimpy when was the last time you practiced, umm, Baron, what about you, Bushell you as well. Hold on, I have had a practice for about 10 years either.
Roll on GOLD CUP, the only chance I ever get of winning !!!!
icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif

Staxy boy,thats not really true about the Fubar practice.
We all practiced wrist movements last night during the card game.
The Ballmeisters 4..7s blew the table away.
Scoops,it was a well disguised high or low hand showing on the table,when he had us all ****ed in, started betting like no to morrow.
Sandy took a pounding,even had to resort to going high..we caught her muttering to herself in the kitchen.(her evil sister)copped more of a pounding for that lol
Actually Staxs there was lots of beer can lifting ,(strength exercises) thats why Barons so powerfully built.Dont you laugh Al.
We also practice our sledging during golf,our Captain Wimpy..Verbalmeister..still in a class of his own..leading the way....by words not deeds lol.
Its good though that the Rachuig side has some minor improvements from last year,its not good when the Fubars beat the Rep team by a day.
Just to be on the safe side,
with a month to go,we,ll have to move onto heavier cans.

Well i certainly missed Perth Cup but this ways to sheer insignificance as to what Gold Cup means to us all.

Well there were only a couple of choices that I could see for my replacement, well actually there was only ever one choice, Neil " I'll do MY" Block.

Especially after seeing Neils performance at Barons 40th, it was the only true practice we do and he passed with Flying colours. Falling over, massaging Greg's Mum's feet, and all round making an absolute SCHMUCK OF HIMSELF, WELL DONE, we're all so very proud as that night you were F.U.B.A.R.

Now as to the improvement to the Rachuig team this year, is someone else doing their uniforms, cause i can't quite see where the improvement is, or perhaps Clinton is doing all their Hair colours for them.

When will Michael ever learn to just play the game, and he always picks on the Ballmeister, I mean Baron hears the comment checks the "Care Factor" and with fresh batteries not even a mumur on the scale. Come on Michael get some fresh material, I mean you guys even tried the slow down factor last year and that worked real well we added i think another 12 strikes to our 15 already or something crazy, what did we shoot 1200+ who knows, but it was a considerate of you to allow us time to tell a few more jokes. Maybe with the Rookie Rachuig team you might have to show them all the tricks I just hope the boys get their **** together and get a web cam happening.

Yes last year was a little bit of a walk in the park infact we were that far in front i can recall us all going to the park for an hour or so, I mean really with 5games to go we didnt have to play anymore.

Perhaps this year wont be quite as easy but I cant see the leaders board being any different.
Hey Baron I cannot quite accept being classified as number 2 sledger I think there's Steve and then there's the rest of us

Well take care and I will see you all soon, in SHALLAH

GIDDY UP!!

Glad to see you found the site Tommy Boy. Yes Baron was in fine form on Saturday night and Sandy and her sister are invited to our next card night.
Nice to hear from you to Al, and yes, a walk in the park, we did take last year. You and I sat out for 8 games if I remember correctly, could not get a run.
I have run into some real good form lately. A Rosemount it got Two, not One, but TWO Doubles, Yes you read that right 2 x Doubles in one night. Man, I was so on it was not funny.
You missed a good night at cards, Tom and Sandy (and her Sister) firstly had to raid Sandy's purse and then Toms Car, then Toms Wallet. I offered to lend Tom .50c just so as to have the pleasure of saying "TOM AND SANDY Owe me money". I had the IOU Written, Checked, Stamped and the local Lawyer check it over, but Tom found a few bucks of change.
Sandy's sister is real nice, however Sandy is sure that she was not invited.
Neats arrived OK, thats good. Let us know how she is getting on.
Anyway, roll on Gold Cup....

i think that this is very unfair being classified as a sledger.
i just bowl to the best of my abilities ,sit down after each shot ,always congratulate my opponent on a good shot and wish them much success in their endeavours in the sport. now if this is misconstrued as sledging well there is nothing i can do.
i would like to take this opportunity to wish all bowlers the very best and would love to catch with all of you for a cup of tea and a quiet chat

your friend wimpy

remember them tea ads, with ron casey/normie rowe and cathy freeman/arthur tunstall

bowlings version could be steve wimbridge and geoff ott

Steve Wimbridge/Geoff Ott and a cup of Tea hardly...lol

Steve we all now that u r a
CCaring UUnderstanding NNice TType !!!

and would do anything for anyone, especially when it comes to advising them on where the pocket is mind you following in your footsteps finding the pocket for an 8 count may not be what they are after...LMAO

Please FUBAR make sure the WEB CAM IS in operation as we will definately have ours up and running by then or at least STAX take ur lap top down and i can give them all the BIRD when they strike hehehehe

GIDDY UP

AL

Actually Steve, you are ..."Correct"
You not only congratulate your opponants on their strikes,but it gives you a nice warm feeling inside as well.
Is there any other word except ..considerate..you have your game to bowl..but no...unselfishly you take the time to discuss the shot with your opponant.
It gives them a warm feeling as well.Some times you have even taken the extra trouble to offer them coaching advice..is that not a Saint. Recounting how the ball missed the mark,how pleased you were for them that the resulting brooklyn to win the game ,was possible,the flat release ,how many boards the ball missed the mark by, and how well they can bowl with their eyes closed.
You can see the warm glow rising in his opponants.
Great clutch shot...are your encouraging words.
The Fubars appreciate these finer qualities,another cup of tea ? Verbalmeister.

Goodness me

Now if thats not the
""POT calling the KETTLE""

Mmm I was so lucky to bowl Wednesday nights with 2 fine ambassadors and true sportsmen in Wimbridge and Kury, my true Mentors, Both would never miss an opportunity to congratulate, offer advice and perhaps remind their/our opponents where the correct pocket is or what is actually wrong with their shot when they hit the pocket only to leave an 8-10, now who in their right mind wouldnt appreciate that coming from 2 greats our of game.

I admire my fellow FUBAR with their intense honesty and extreme integrity who could not love them.

I wouldnt say i am at their level but with a few more years bowling with them i hope one day i too can be a true sportsperson like them, alas for now I will have to live up to being a rookie.

Roll On Gold Cup so that hopefully more bowlers will experience the sprortmenship shown by our great team.

GIDDY UP

The problem really lies in those that mis read what the messages really mean, lets face it if people copped the crap that we gave eachother they would never play again, and a few others take it so personnally that it gives us all more ammunition.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Baron, do you think you can get those guys that always used to bowl in the Gold Cup. You know the ones from Mirrabooka, the ones that Steve always congratulated after the game.

Gold Cup would be worth watching then.

Well there could be a few teams from Booka that fit that description but I presume you talking of the Mirrabooka Mens Club. Had many a stouch with those boys and seem to remember MM having a go at Brett Taylor of all people. I dont think they bowl anymore because they are not allowed to have their customary BBQ which I always managed to score the odd beer. Which is a pity because they looked forward to Gold Cup and were a great bunch of guys. Very intense on the lanes but were always sharing the jokes and beers later at the Tavern. Mind you they were the butt of many a Wimbridge sledge. But then again who wasnt. Baron
icon_wink.gif

Baron,

Yes your right, that was a team note but I do refer to the Simpson gang. Now here was a team that gave Wimpy and others a run for their money.

Steve J

Ahhhhh Yes The Mirrabooka Mens Club what a great bunch of fellas

Another great move my management to not allow them their ritual BBQ another team lost
If its not hard enough to fill the tourneys as it is !!

Ahhh Reggie & the Boys, good ole Flares with the pleats and the nice gold button at the knees, and good ole Bobbie Housham and his Son with the huge Protective goggles

They gave us all a hard time but none more than Stevie, grrrr Stevie as Bobbie would say.

So is Gold Cup full yet and how many womens teams are playing,

I trust Rent-a-Plant is looking after our team aain this year was one of the best parts of the tourney last year seeing them be involved finally with winning teams.

I fthere's a team vacancy maybe i could bring a team from here, that would be fun could round up 3 or 4 Bahraini Fubars and make 2 teams then we could come First and Second

Giddy Up!!!!

Dont forget the web cam

Well fubars..the rachuig is near..we havent really discussed the Rachuig situation ,but with cards coming up on Sat nite we might chew the fat ..have your email ready AL.
I know the other states dont read these posts so we can talk candidly about the Rachuig.
Michael is in great form,i wish he wasnt Captain though,i reckon he has proved himself,he should now be overseeing potential future Captains,and taking a leadership role (through his bowling,his work ethic,practise)
A mud map of what it takes.
I reckon that role would add 10 pins to his score.
I think there is always too much importance (pressure) placed on a Rachuig Captain(-10 pins).He has to rah rah the team,bowl well,and dont give the team the ****s.
Toooooo much.
Your best bowlers have to be free..let some other idiot rah rah ,focus on his game,and last for three days...ie a Captain.
I wouldnt have a Captain...id have a committee...(made up of anyone who had been in more then 5 Rachuigs)..if in any State ,that only meant one person,then it would be a one man committee.
There is new blood each year in every state,in every team.What in put can they make??????
I dont think that an en masse coach (state coach)has any part in a Rachuig....ie you have your personal coach and thats it.
If the 7 players have 7 different coaches then THEY prepare them for Rachuig.
If you dont have a coach ,and you made the side..stay as you are.
When the team goes away,the coaching is finished..the bowlers are prepared.
If you take the WA situation,then only Michael and Ken Thompson (coach) qualify to be on this virtual committee.
The rest have a couple of Rachuigs under their belt...not enough.
The committees decisions should be accepted as law.
Next on the ageda is who is goig to be Captain.
Who looks like he/she will make the next 5 Rachuig teams.
Thats the Captain.
Responsibility..rah rah the team,bowl your brains out,have a good time,and learn for the next years.Then sign the score sheet after the game.
The brains trust behind the Captain is the committee,ie who is in the side ,who goes out,who gets lunch.
The en masse coach...ie now overseeing the 7 bowlers has time to be the manager as well..no one needs to be depending on him at this stage of the proceedings.
So we are in summary,cost effective (minus coach.or minus manager..either way its now one position...not two.
The bowlwers and their coaches work at their normal pace (as they would preparing for a tournament).
Calling on weekend schedules,away from family,normal bowling routine,is a disruption as to what routine got you to state level in the first place.Why change that inviroment leading up to just another tournament..at the end of the day...team or no team...when you are on the approach..its you and you only...and what you and your coach has devised.
You would imagine in this world,the en masse coach would have had meetings with the bowlers personal coach and compared notes for maximum advantage.
As for bonding..you dont need lanes for that.
Ive never ever seen bonding happening by practising togather.
Bonding value...like a 3 dollar bill...its false and its crap.
No one feels good walking out of a practise session having shot crap.
The last thing they feeel is that that was a great bonding session..especially with the Capt...and coach...its manifested pressure.
Have two crap practise sessions and see how well the team bonds with you.
Firstly...you dont practise...you compete.
You set up challenges..all the coaches attend.
you experiment,you fine tune.
How laughable are Rachuig practises where you do spare practise..or shooting different lines...lol..give me a break..this is Rachuig material...if you are still practising spares/lines at this stage in your career,then you are in the team cause it was selected by your mum.
Each guy./girl(ill bet a million here)that made the Rachuig team did it on their own..give me leverage here that perhaps 5% had a coach.
Im not anti coach,its just that i know,a foriegn coach to the one you have been using regularly is not a good mix....add ball drillers to that little list.
I reckon that the coach/manager should really be an expert ball driller.
Lob up to the venue..drill the right gear..crash bash..write out your acceptance speech.
But then im a Fubar...thats how we approach the game..bit of horses for courses..we believe in trust,and that one thing that you cant buy.knowing how to win.
If i ever had something on my liver about Rachuig...i think i just got rid of it.

Hi Tom

Yes others do read the interstate posts!
I have a few comments to make, my opinion solely!

Firstly, it's not just the Captain's job to Rah Rah the team, all team members should take on this responsibility in thier own way.

A good captain is essential. The captain needs to not only be a strong bowler but more so a strong leader. Just because you may make Rachuig for the next 5 years does not mean you are captain material.

The en masse coach? The team coach should speak with the individual coaches and also the individual about their games, no question. Not being in WA but knowing Ken I think you would find that Ken does this. But as for no team training, sorry disagree, the en masse coach needs to understand the individuals game sufficient enough to at least offer them some solutions if sticky situations arise when thier actual coach is not around ie At a crucial time in Rachuig. I do agree the en masse coach should not be about changing someones game without consultation with the individuals coach. I agree with your comment about a foreign coach and the team coach is not a good mix, the team coach should not be about Change, it should be about maintenance and understanding of the individual.

As for the need to spare practice and practice lines. It's not a matter of once you have made a team you forget about the principles of the game. It's a matter of practicing to perfect it. Therefore no matter how good you get you need to keep practicing to maintain or to keep improving.
There are some 'games' that I disagree with which I feel are a waste of time - Yes.

In summary, a good captain is not just anyone, it is someone with certain leadership qualities. En Masse coach, needed but as long as it's done correctly with consultation between individual and individuals coach.

i think that about sums it up from me, my two bobs worth, not having a go, just an opinion.

Jo

Hi Jo..good luck at the Rachuig..i hope we get a comprehensive coverage from you girls on this forum.
I couldnt agree more with what you say,you have made many Rachuigs and know how it should be.
I guess we are very lucky,and unique here in WA by having the Gold Cup.
Apart from Rachuig/Atbso etc this is the only major 5 man competition in Aust.
There is a waiting list of teams that have to roll off to qualify just to be in the tournament.
I cant believe its already 11 years that i have been a sandgroper with a maroon jacket..go the Broncos..so ive been pretty well bowling in it now for a decade, and from both sides of the fence...with the Rachuig team.(which we always won )..and in the last 4 years with the Fubar team..back to back wins.
When you have two kinds of success..you then look at which success works better..and from where i see it, the Fubar formula is streets ahead.
Thats what i was mainly outlining above.
As you rightfully say each team member has to rah rah their own way..but we take that equality one step further..no captain..each one of us is the captain...each taking on the full responsibility of winning,ensuring harmony,and definetly having a good time.
We dont practise togather..we compete against each other in league.week in week out..and consequently we learn how to react to each others good bad and indifferent games.
Practise (togather)cant generate the same pressure as even league matchplay,so whats the good of it.Your better off having a BBQ or a game of cards togather..which we do.
At senior level (Rachuig) i guess i just take it for granted that skilled bowlers have shot for thousands of spares,and have tried every line in the book a thousand times.have sought out their coach,their equipment.
I think the line of thinking between what happens at President shield level and Rachuig level is too close for comfort..kids..then older kids..instead of kids..then the pros.

Nice post Tom.
Having never bowled Rachuig, please allow me a bit of grace.
First, with Rachuig, is it not important to remember that you are representing your State, and that you should be going away to play the “best” in the land. With this in mind, is it not important to try and bond as a team as best as possible, also remembering that you may have never bowled with players in your team before.
This question needs to be answered and the only place to get to know your team would be in the surroundings that you will ultimately compete.
As to practice, week in week out, maybe, maybe not, that’s not my call.
The good old BBQ and even our favourite, cards nights they will also work. (Don’t forget all the lovely bonding going on while fundraising over $25,000)
It is important to remember that before FUBAR was a team we were bowlers, then friends, then close friends, then cards and BBQ friends. It has taken FUBAR the best part of 10 years to become a “team”.
If we had started with this in mind 10 years ago, can you now imagine the teams we could send away now. We could field 3 or 4 teams for Rachuig and be competitive with all the teams.
I also think that as a State we need to totally rethink Rachuig, Presidents Shield, Walter and ATBSO. As to the dilemma we have here, I don’t have the answers.
With the coaching side of the argument, I believe we have Australia’s best coach in Ken Thompson, and I would be correct in saying that Ken would be doing all he can to make sure that he respects the players own coaches and individual players needs. You can only get a player ready for the big day, and as soon as that player is on the approach then its only the player that is in control. How do you teach a bowler what pressure is, how do you teach a bowler to concentrate or relax, when that player has never before bowled in Australia’s biggest teams event. The coach, Ken, is the man for the job. He has the experience and the mannerism to master this better than any other coach.
So in summing up, I believe a coach is vital to a team that is thrown together the way the Rachuig Teams are thrown together. Should the format of Rachuig chance then and only then is it possible not to require a coach.
Team Captain, I hear you ask. See if you could pick someone other than Michael. It’s a very new team, no slight on any team member here, but there is nobody else. I think that Michael is a proven Captain however is likely to be –10 as you suggested, only because he is the Captain, the only Captain that could be chosen.
This reply is my personal opinion only. Please do not read anything into this reply that is not in it.

I couldnt agree with you more..and thats why i said that it was "horses for courses" ..as you rightfull say the Fubar team evolved...Rachuig teams are thrown togather...both have two totally different ways of approaching an event.
Rachuig under its current criterea couldnt function the same way as the Fubar team,and as such the Captain..Michael...Coach Ken are automatic cornerstones..daylight is second.
The frustrating thing is that WA have never won the Rachuig ,yet somewhere between the two philosophies there is a winning formula.
QLD has exactly the same problem.
I think if they had a Gold cup style format..Carl would be able to put togather a Fubar style team.
If each state put togather a Fubar style team,i wonder what type of a Rachuig would we have then.

Well let me start first Tom by congratulating you on being the first post I have seen that took up the entire page.

I must say however that I only agree with one thing you said with regards to Rachuig and that is that it is frustrating that WA has never won it.

As for the rest though can I just take a different perspective and point out these facts.

1. At TRAINING the world champion Australian cricket team practices catching ( sparing )and also bats/bowls for hours on end in the nets ( different lines ).
Not only do they train in the lead up for a tour - they train most off days on the tour too. I'm sure the wallabies are the same and the Brisbane lions and Perth Glory etc.

These teams would have a much better arguement for not training than the teams that will be participating in Rachuig but they do.

2. All of the players that made these teams used personal coaches too. All of these teams have coaches though that tour with the team. And as for John Buchanan or Leigh Matthews getting to the game and cutting up the oranges...... I dont think so!!!!!!

OK. You may say these teams are different to us. Yes I agree. They are professionals.
So if its good enough for them then why isnt it good enough for our Rachuig teams.

If we take note of how the teams, that have put millions of man hours in to preparing teams for battle at a much higher level than what we encounter,prepare then we may improve our ways.

Thats my opinion. Dont take it personally its just a friendly debate.

Matty.

icon_confused.gif

Back
Top Bottom