Frilingos wins his First Australian Open

Jase

Admin
Staff member
33 year-old Queensland bowler, George Frilingos, topped the qualifying in the 2007 Australian Open. For the second consecutive Tournament, Frilingos was leading the field of 76 players - 75 men and 1 woman - from around the country with an impressive 252.18 average for his 22 game totals…

Seventy- five of Australia's elite bowlers converged on AMF Sunshine Bowl on the Easter weekend to compete in the 2007 Australian Open.

Day 1 qualifying
A squad started off with Vi Huynh of Victoria showing the way…Throwing a prefect game 300 in just game 4 of qualifying the local Victorian was well on his way to leading the event after the first 8 games of qualifying with 1920.
Frilingos in the second squad and not just content with making up the numbers in this event, started strongly with a 537 block, and showed the dominant force that has earned him the first two majors so far this year. A stunning string of 279, 258, 280, 278, 288, 278, 248, 245, catapulted Frilingos to the lead after Game 8 Total of 2154 (269.25 Ave).

Day 2 qualifying
Into day two and Frilingos, +923, continued his stand at the top of the leader board, Victorian Glen Loader, +624, impressed with his last 6 games of 299, 277, 256, 235, 215 and 249 to move into second, while Australian men’s team mate Jarrod Lean of New South Wales showed that he still has what it takes to move into third at +541. Victoria’s Chris Castle made the final position of cut at +235 for his 16 games and despite South Australia’s Dion Alexander throwing a last game 299, missed the cut by 13 pins.

Day 3
The top 26 men from stage 1 returned on Monday morning in a 6 game shoot out to make the top 10. Frilingos continued to dominate the left hand side of the lanes at, +1148, to secure the top Spot for the finals, while Victorian Glen Loader,+805 second, and Ashley Clark+717 of New South Wales the clear mover in the field on day three rounded out the top three for the finals, followed closely by, Craig Ryan+671, Jason Walsh+665, Jason Way+593, Jarrod Lean +576, Chris Mesagno+561,Paul Trotter+505, and Billy Tanasicuic+504 completed the finalists. Victoria’s Paul Trotter shooting the Tournaments second perfect game, in the second last game of qualifying to just make the top ten finalists.

The Finals seen some great head to head match’s, Frilingos continued to cruise to Victory with a match play record of 7-2 and tournament average of 247.90 for his 31 games, Australian Men’s Captain Jason Walsh of New South Wales bowled superbly on day three with an average of 247.26 for his last 15 games of the tournament and a match play record of 7-2 catapulted him to second place averaging a healthy 235.19 for his 31 games, just in front of his Australian team mate Glen Loader who had a 6-3 match play record and averaged 234.52 to finish third.

When I asked George of his amazing feat he replied with;

I've been dreaming about winning this tournament since I was 6 and a mere 26yrs worth of bowling later, I finally accomplish my goal. To have my name on the trophy along with the long list of previous champions is amazing and an honour”.

1176171117.jpg

All Scores can be found...

http://www.totalbowling.com.au/news/livescores/

Congratulations George your game scores were nothing short of amazing and you deserve all the success you achieve

Leigh and Kay Harris

Well the Townsville boy comes through again;)
Congrats George on your first AO win maybe your retirement will be put on hold:cool:

Gary & Kerri

George -
you said that you would, and you did.....and HOW WELL DID YOU DO IT!!!!!!!!

Well done on a magnificent performance - and to all of the finalists and competitors on a great weekends' worth of bowling!

I have been keeping an eye on the scores thanks to the totalbowling crew (and a big thank you for that guys well done again) and from the very first day right till the finish there was only going to be one winner. George that bowling was incredible and you are a deserving winner of the Australian Open title.

I must say to finish an amazing 390 plus pins clear of 2nd place in such a strong field is quite simply brilliant and anyone who has signedd up to recieving training from George in Brisbane could not ask for a better coach to help there game.

Also congratulations once again to another consistent performer in Jason Walsh for 2nd place and also to one of the biggest rising stars in Glen Loader on finishing 3rd, you almost held on for 2nd from a rampaging run from Jason but your time will definetly come in this event and probably more than once but his is a difficult tournament to win and you have to be bowling at your best as the scores have shown this week.

To all the bowlers who competed congratulations on your efforts, with the top 49 bowlers in the 76 bowling to bowl above 200 average shows a great effort by all involved.

Once again congrats to George Frilingos, your 2007 Australian Open Champion.

Michael Mclaren
tickets for short lol

Congratulations George on you first Australian Open win!! From looking at your scores, you thoroughly deserved it!! It has been an absolute pleasure watching your scores on Total Bowling..I've been mesmerised for the past 3 days just to see your next game!!

Well done!!

Kyles

Congratulations George.
Right mindset all weekend, bowled like a champion the whole way.

Thanks for whipping me in matchplay too :p

Craig Ryan

QubicaAMF congratulates staffer George Frilingos on his maiden AO win, well done champion!

Fantastic display of bowling, and a well deserved result, who said AMF300 balls are rubbish, guess the scores and the result speaks for itself.

Catch up with you in Orange mate.........

Glenn Rowland
Consumer Products Sales Manger
QubicaAMF Worldwide, LLC

"Australia's No.1 Tenpin Bowling Distributor"

Congratulations George on a simply stunning performance. You deserve every accolade that comes your way. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Well done.

Well done George, I was amazed at the way you bowled from the first game. The consistency to bowl each ball the same over and over again shows the true champion that you are. Thank you for inspiring me and all that witnessed your performance.

Hey George,

Mate simply an awesome display of bowling, Track, Columbia, AMF you have shown that it doesn't matter what gear you are throwing you still get the job done (Still love to see you throw Hammer :D )

To dominate in such a high quality field is an amazing achievement and maybe some of the no talent hacks who continue to slag you will shut up (at least for a day or so :D )

Your Dad is going to be tickled Pink on Wednesday night

Well Done

The Albino Tele Tubby :D

I guess there's not alot more one can say that hasn't already been said but
i will add that your performance was nothing short of brilliant this weekend George, and although i didn't get to witness it first hand...
We were being kept well informed at Keon park bowl where we were witnessing some outstanding bowling as well....
Amazing to say the least that yourself and Ann-Maree Putney would both
average a massive 248 in matchplay and never looked like being caught from beginning to end...
Congratulations to you both on your respective Victories very well deserved
=D> =D> =D>
Cheers Mary​

Back
Top Bottom