forward roll

Brett

Could someone tell me whether getting more forward roll on a ball creates a greater amount of skid, or makes it hook earlier? Also, does it get a greater amount of carry?

Forward roll cuts down on side roll which basically gets rid of some of the hook. On lanes with alittle oil it will get the ball rolling more end over end which will increase length. On drier lanes it's a good tool to increase length and increase carry if the ball is rolling out. It's alittle relative to lane conditions, but one constant thing is it will give you more length.

Arrg edit function, the bit about on lanes with abit of oil it will roll end over end should have just been a general observation for all conditions. If you are having problems on lanes with alittle more oil, front roll aided with a tight down and in line can help you dig out the corner pins.

Forward roll increasing length? I alwasy thought that side roll increased length and that side roll rolled eariler... hang on, let me find that storm book thing... yeah here its is.

The amount of axis rotation the bowler puts on the ball at delivery.

0 Axis Rotation=Instant Reaction

45 Axis Rotation=Gradual reaction

90 Axis Rotation=Later Reaction

Side roll creates a Skid Snap. Creates a big hooking shot. Creates natural length.
The ball is rotation at a nearly 90 degree angle to which it is travelling. So when it comes to Hooking time, its gotta do more work to do what it wants to do. Because of this it will take more time to hook, but when it does it will a bigger hook then anyone else out their, with appropriate revs and Speed of course.
So Cliff i believe the answer to your first question is, Forward roll makes the abll roll earlier.
As for your second questions. Carry? well, when you find the right angle to the pocket, whether it be up 5, or swinging over 25, then you will carry.

Later Da Cowman!

Edit funtion thingy ma bobbys bad again
I alwasy thought that side roll increased length and that side roll rolled eariler
i meant that forward roll rolled earlier. Sorry to all

Later Da Cowman!

Back
Top Bottom