Football today!!!

B

Birkett

Football today sucks! am sorry but it does! yes we have the thrill of the world cup and european championships! but thats it, english football esspecially is all about money! me as a chelsea fan should be happy to have a rich billionaire backing the club, but im not! Shouldn't football be like it was, when the likes of wimbledon can come threw the leagues on pure determination and heart, not because they can buy forgien talent with countless cash!

But these days sadly maybe a thing of the past!
Dont you think that chelsea are a club out of control, they will buy all the talent in england so no other team can have a good youth player to help them up the leagues! its not good! should a transfer spending limit be put in place in england so overspending at stupid rates are band? what are your'e views people

Birkett

Unfortunately, like most sports today, its all about money.
Gone are the days when Joe Blow used to be a brickie during the week and play first grade football on the weekends with his mates, drink 20 schooners at the pub after the game and be back to work on Monday. Pride and passion in sport today is dying or already dead.
Sport today is about ultra-fit athletes being paid ridiculous amounts of money to be the fittest and best players they can be.
People have different reasons today to become the best they can be at their sport. It is no longer about pride, or passion to become the very best they can be and be remembered amongst the immortals in their sport, it is about how much money they can make by becoming the best in their sport.
When comparing money paid 20 years ago to today, sportsmen are making enough money in some sports today to set them up for life. I find this to be the motivating factor behind sportsmen becoming the best they can be today.

but it doesn't only happen at chelsea as cv said
like most sports today it is all about the money
andrew bogurt has an 18 million dollar contract or something like that for being a first pick in the nba draft.
a high profile aussie rules superstar which is a much longer fast and physical game wouldn't even make 18 million in a eighteen year career compared to 3 years of a anticipated long career.

It sounds stupid but the real question should be if you got offered that much money for a sport which you are obviously devoted to would you say no?

It doesn't just happen at Chelsea in football... it happens at numerous clubs within Europe.

Large amounts of money are spent by European clubs to purchase the best players in order to have a good chance at national and european level.

Chelsea have been highlighted in recent times due to the fact that Roman has taken over the club and provided us with a large amount of money to spend on players (and manager). This has allowed those with little or no knowledge of the world game to take pot shots at the club and their supporters. (For the record, Im a Chelsea fan)

Whilst all the focus has been on Chelsea's newly expanded expenditure, everyone has ignored all spending that has been made by other clubs. Look at Spanish giant Real Madrid. Figo, Ronaldo, Beckham, Owen and many others have been purchased in recent season by this club, but this has gone under the radar!! (Mainly because Australians are exposed only to the EPL)

I dont believe Chelsea are a team out of control. Arsenal and Manchester United have been purchasing the best talent in the last decade and there have been no complaints. Its good to finally see my team competitive again :D.

FWIW Birkett, Chelsea once found themselves in Division 2, and like Wimbledon managed to fight hard and successfully managed to play in top flight football. Chelsea managed to play in UEFA Cup, prior to the take over by Roman. The extra funding has helped us become a top team, rather then just a top 6 team.

The Bert said:
It sounds stupid but the real question should be if you got offered that much money for a sport which you are obviously devoted to would you say no?

Well said... I know what my answer is!!!

I might make a proposal to the NBA; ill gladly play basketball for any team at 6/7ths of his price, as i am 6/7ths as tall as him!!!

Soccer really isn't my cup of tea, but when AFL goes worldwide, the best players will be getting paid more, as the revenue from advertising etc will go up.

Essentially that is where the $$$ come from in sports.

tonx said:
Soccer really isn't my cup of tea, but when AFL goes worldwide, the best players will be getting paid more, as the revenue from advertising etc will go up.

Mate, the AFL can't even go Australia wide successfully.. It will never go worldwide..

Craig Ryan said:
I dont believe Chelsea are a team out of control. Arsenal and Manchester United have been purchasing the best talent in the last decade and there have been no complaints. Its good to finally see my team competitive again :D.

No your right... 210 million pounds over 2 seasons is quite under control. Especially with Manchester United as your scout. This year so far...
60 odd Million bid for Adriano, same for Shevchenko, 20 million odd for Essien, yeah... thats ONLY 140 MILLION POUNDS!! John Mikel Obi is a United player as well, so get your filthy Chelsea hands off.

Football teams, especially those year after year in the Champions League have to continue to buy the best players to stay there. The money rasied for the club by simply making the ECL is unbelieveable. What you also must remember is that players want to play in the biggest and best competitions as well as the teams. Sometimes the only way they can do this is by moving to United, Chelsea, Milan, AC, Real, Barca, Bayern, Arsenal etc etc. These teams in some way create a monopoly created by the huge interest in the game world wide. TV stations pay so much money to broadcast the games because so many people watch it. The teams get some of this money which is sually in the millions. They then can use it to attract the best players in the world to their club to play in the biggest and best club competition in the world. Kinda like if you bowled with Storm on the Amatuer circuit and then Brunswick offered you a tonne of money to go on the pro tour.
What would you do?

Later Da Cowman!

Your right! champions league teams, have to buy the best players out there! even if they have a world class team! they have to in order to shut out other teams! But heres the thing! the premiership will soon become boring! even if it isnt already! Chelsea will win the premiership all the time! once great teams like liverpool will never stand a chance against the Economic brilliance of chelsea! unless they get there very own russian billionaire! football is on a downward spiral and it shows no sign of stopping does it!

Birkett

Birkett said:
Your right! champions league teams, have to buy the best players out there! even if they have a world class team! they have to in order to shut out other teams! But heres the thing! the premiership will soon become boring! even if it isnt already! Chelsea will win the premiership all the time! once great teams like liverpool will never stand a chance against the Economic brilliance of chelsea! unless they get there very own russian billionaire! football is on a downward spiral and it shows no sign of stopping does it!

Birkett

Which is why Liverpool BEAT Chelsea in the Champions League Semi-Final and then went on to win the Final against AC Milan. Right? They don't buy players to shut out other teams unless they have the backing of a Russian Billionaire, which Chelsea currently have. But the players aren't stupid, they know that they have little guarantee off getting constant first team football at chelsea unless you are the best in the world, so many players aren't going there. Some will always chase the money, but to alot of them playing regular first team football and be selected to represent their country. Football is, and always will be, the beautiful game.

Later Da Cowman!

Back
Top Bottom