Feedback Wanted

Kellie

Facebook Rocks
2008 Ebonite Gold Coast International Sports Series Final

The event has come and has gone, and what an event it was.

The event ran well, but there were some hiccups with the times and a few other little things, but this was to be expected being the first time this event had been bowled and with a different format to boot.

My question to all the bowlers who bowled the event is, how did you find the format, how did you find the patterns you bowled on, how did you find the centre and its staff, how were things run as a whole. What were the strengths and weaknesses of the tournament?

What improvements need to be made?
Would you like this event ranked?
Would you like international players to compete?

This thread has been set up as somewhere to leave feedback on the event, your feedback can be good and bad, if we didn’t hear your thoughts we wouldn’t know what to fix to make the tournament even better in 2009.

We could turn this event into an ABF stop for the first time in history. With the assistance of our new CEO, some forward planning, we could host an amazing International stop at one of the best locations for a bowling centre in the world. Thats what I would like to see this event turn into.

The format was funky, certainly kept you on your toes but it was good to make every game count. I think 40 pins was a bit much but in saying that I think the top 16 wouldn't have changed much even if you take it away.

I could go on and on and already have in my thank you post, refer above :D

Ok heres my thoughts:

1) Bowling times need to be a bit more accurate (no surprise why i mention that one)
2) The format was great, like George said, kept you on your toes at all times. I agree, 40 pins is a bit much, i think for qualifying, at most give 10 for a win and 5 for a draw, or better yet, no bonus pins and have the scratch pinfall get you into the final like all other events.
3) Prize money was fantastic. You never have and probably never will see again the prizefund that was on offer this weekend.
4) THE GOLD COAST.................what more reason could you want to bowl in an event
5) I think you certainly should get it made into an ABF stop. If this were to happen, you would certainly see the 1st place prize climb close to $10,000 (wouldnt that be something special)
6) The patterns were great, noone had an advantage when you bowl on 3 different conditions.

And how can i forget.............................OMG, THAT TIMEZONE IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could go on and on but i wont.

Big thanks to Lee Matthey for all his efforts in getting this going, you have created a very special tournament Lee, full credit to you. To Kellie, Jase and Ben from TotalBowling, thanks again for all the effort you guys put in over the weekend and leading up to the tournament, without your efforts, it wouldnt have run so smoothly, so thanks heaps! To the staff at Surfers Paradise Bowl, FANTASTIC EFFORT. I have never bowled a tournament where the bowl staff have been so helpful and effcient about the way things were done. The lanes were in great shape too and the pins, WOW, some awesome carry!

I hope this event runs again next year, if it does, i am there in a flash.

Matt Watson

WELL, WELL, WELL. What a fantastic weekend. What a fantastic venue.

I thanked everyone involved in the topic George created so I won't babble on with that. I just want to say it's a credit to all involved. A job well done.

1. The prize fund was fantastic and should have attracted more bowlers. The high profile bowlers that didn't make the trip missed an awesome event and would be crazy not to attend in 2009.

2. The lane conditions were a great challenge to all that competed. I struggled but learned alot from playing on those International Sports patterns, I also learned alot sitting in the stands watching the final. I would definately like to see patterns like these again at this event.

3. The format was sensational. What a way to have a tournament with matchplay style right from the start. It was great to see bowlers get fired up in qualifying matchplay rounds to try to win that 40 bonus pins for a win.

4. The top 16 final format of sudden death two game total pinfall was again sensational. To everyone watching to see several big name players go down in the first round of matches by close margins and with high scores was thrilling to the spectators. Thats what tenpin bowling needs.

5. The Centre. It was brilliantly presented and right in the heart of Surfers was the best place for an International event. It must be staged on the Gold Coast again. The name has a ring to it now, It must go on!

6. The centre management and staff were fantastic. The customer service was absolutely brilliant. Quick and efficient and that's what bowling centre staff need to be. Score corrections and other lane problems were dealt with very quickly, and to the back-end staff for the quick maintenance of the lanes and machinery. Congratulations!

Improvements:

1. I would like to see this event nationally ranked.

2. I believe overseas International players should be invited. An ABF stop in Australia would be fabulous for Australia Tenpin Bowling and will definately attract overseas players.

3. Bonus pins for a win should have a standard 20 pins for a win and 10 for a draw. I think 40 pins was a little too much as it spread the field rapidly and some players just could not climb back with the challenging conditions.

4. A system needs to be worked out for when a bowler withdraws through injury or other reasons occur. Now that this situation occured in the this year's event a rule can be set in place for the future.

Regards,
Christian Purdue

Back
Top Bottom