english again

jessica

hey guys

There are many cumbersome ways to kill a man.
You can make him carry a plank of wood
To the top of a hill and nail him to it.
To do this
Properly you require a crowd of people
Wearing sandals, a cock that crows, a cloak
To dissect, a sponge, some vinegar and one
Man to hammer the nails home.

Or you can take a length of steel,
Shaped and chased in a traditional way,
And attempt to pierce the metal cage he wears.
But for this you need white horses,
English trees, men with bows and arrows,
At least two flags, a prince and a
Castle to hold your banquet in.

Dispensing with nobility, you may, if the wind
Allows, blow gas at him. But then you need
A mile of mud sliced through with ditches,
Not to mention black boots, bomb craters,
More mud, a plague of rats, a dozen songs
And some round hats made of steel.

In an age of aeroplanes, you may fly
Miles above your victim and dispose of him by
Pressing one small switch. All you then
Require is an ocean to separate you, two
Systems of government, a nation's scientists,
Several factories, a psychopath and
Land that no one needs for several years.

These are, as I began, cumbersome ways
To kill a man. Simpler, direct, and much more neat
Is to see that he lives somewhere in the middle
Of the twentieth century, and leave him there.

in your opinion, do you think somehow i could relate this poem to journey e.g. a journey through time and human technology... please give me imput cuz i so need to build up a portfolio for english!!!
thanks guys!!

luv jess

ummm i meant in relation to in the first stanza they use wood... second stanza is steel (so a small advance) third is using gas bombs (more technology) forth uses aeroplanes (huge advance) and fifth stanza... all the technology and corruption we have now... i dunno if that makes sense...

It seems that Poem is Journey through Time with reference to how killing people has 'evolved' throughout the AD time period, this is shown by the refernce to Jesus's crucification "plank of wood to the top of hill... hammer the nails home' through to the more recent World Wars, or even the Iraq War 'age of aeroplanes, you may fly, Miles above your victim and dispose of him by, Pressing one small switch.'
Stange how it goes from line to line like it does without any rhyme.
Can you relate this to Journies??? Yes, you can relate nearly everything to a journey of some sort. Which aspect of Journies are you doing? Imagination, Physical, or the other one?? Just remember to directly relate the poem to the question, and the section of Journies that you are studying. Also, remember to primarily focus on How, rather then What.

Hope this helps you,
Your BB,

Later Da Cowman!

English help from a teacher here...

This type of poem relates to the progression and advances in technology through time. As da cowman stated, the poem does not rhyme - however rhyming was not its intention. The juxtaposition of the subject matter adds to its meaning. As an English teacher, I can see that the author wrote each stanza on a common theme, and each line is a continuation of his/her thoughts. The ambivalence of imagery permeates through each poem adding to its purpose.

Is this a poem you are studying in English, or was this a poem you chose yourself? If so then a thorough background check on the author will also make it easier to understand. By researching the author, their writing style and the context in which this poem was written, I believe the answer will be much clearer.

In relation to the 'journeys' - I believe this poem can be interpreted however you see fit, as it is well known that the background knowledge a reader brings to a poem ultimately affects the way the poem is interpreted. (Complex answer: Your semantics (background knowledge, experiences, opinions) help to decode messages contained in literature.

When analysing poems, it is imperative to relate to and prove your assumptions with evidence because this is what markers look for. In this case, provide examples of current issues to support your answers. This shows application of thought rather than simply studying texts. I am impressed that you asked for help. I hope this is of use to you.

It really sounds like you are on the right track anyway Jess. Well done!

Good luck :D

What strikes me about the poem is the paradox of journies. The poem refers to our jouney through advances in technology and achievement, ie the incredible distance we have travelled since a man was nailed to a cross at the top of a hill and yet how far have we really come.
Is killing a man with the press of a button from 25000 feet any less barbaric than nailing a man to a cross?
When will the journey truly begin?

Back
Top Bottom