dual state representation and the draft

A

Anonymous

has anyone ever wondered why the NT is the only state/territory that uses the draft for Rachuig? Tassie also has a shortage of women in their teams, and yet they find no drama in using some of the women of their Walter De Veer team to compliment the scratch bowlers they do have.ACT also are not afraid to have WDV bowlers as reserves. Why is it that the NT cannot do the same? Individual results from the WDV tournament indicate that at least 3 of the NT WDV troop bowled as well (if not better) than those of their Rachuig counterparts are doing at the moment,so why could they have not been used to backfill the team for "experience"at the higher level, rather than those from the Draft list?
As a spectator I have enjoyed immensely the bowling during both WDV and Rachuig, but am just curious as to why only 1 state needed to utilise the draft, when in fact the performances shown in WDV indicated that perhaps it did not need to be so.........
Lookin forward to day 3 of Rachuig and then the Masters....

Marg
Queanbeyan

In response to the above posting.....
we from the NT travel a long way to the Nationals every year (as does everyone else), and the majority of us tend to make sure that we stay the 2 weeks of the nationals in order to get our monies worth of travel. We would only be too happy to stay and be reserves for Rachuig...we have offered our services in the past, after all, we are from the Nt and we are going to be there for the comp. Unfortuately, we have been told that we are not allowed to bowl both WDV and Rachuig - we thought this must be a TBA ruling, however the fact that Tassie field girls in both teams leads us to believe that this is a ruling for the NT only. Three of our girls bowled out of their brains during this years WDV tournament, and it is likely that their yearbook averages will be too high for them to bowl WDV next year, so the draft probably won't be needed then for Rachuig - WDV will be looking instead!
Graham, thanks for the live coverage of Rachuig!!
cheers
Bronni and Jagga (ATBSO AllStar)
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif
icon_eek.gif

You raise several valid points.
If I remember correctly, the year that Queensland won the overall Walter De Veer the womens division was won by NT. There were some awesome bowlers in the NT team and no other team could get near them. We thought then that some of these women could well be bowling Rachuig before too long.

Regarding the draft, you have to understand that there are two clearly opposed views regarding Rachuig. The first one sees it as an interstate competition based on residency with the States selecting their teams accordingly. The opposing view is that Rachuig is a blue ribbon teams event and as such should showcase the best that Australia has to offer,regardless of State boundaries.
The current establishment favours the latter view.(Others disagree...)
As far as eligibility of players to represent their State in both Walter De Veer and Rachuig, I can find nothing in the rules to prevent that.This may have been recently changed however as the rules can no longer be found in the files section of the TBA Yahoo website.Enjoy your stay in Canberra, and good luck in your all events.
Andrew Shinnie.

According, to the latest Rachuig rules.

Any state is permitted to draft a maximum of 2 men and/or 2 women to play for their state or territory if their pool of players is depleted or low skilled.

The requirement is that draftees need to have tried out for their own state team.

This provides high skilled players, from the stronger states, an opportunity to compete in this tournament.

We in Vic are considering this an option for next year - we need 2 highly skilled lefties.

George & Brenton, what's on your calendar for next October?

My calendar has me in the SA team and us winning Rachuig and daylight 2nd.

sorry, won't be able to help

Back
Top Bottom