Does somebody Know??

Hey all,

Was Watching the price is right on Wednesday(17th) and this contestant on the show, used to Tenpin Bowl, his name was Ben now i assume he his from either melbourne or sydney, but what caught my attention... is that he stated he went to america to become a pro and didnt make it (either form college) or.... so if anybody could shed some light on this??... i had never seen him before :confused:

Cheers

Mark Foster

there was a lad called Ben Johns from WA sent to the USA by his dad (Dennis) in the early 90's, he did college etc over there and worked in a bowl too

yeah joining the pba isnt that hard.....just cashing is....lol

as far as i know, you need to complete a 6 week pba program....on etiquette, etc and hold a 190 average for 2 years straight.

I did download the forms to join the PBA a few years back (well before it went to an exempt field) and I believe it used to be that you had to hold a 200 average for 2 years. But then they changed it to a 220 average for 2 years because of the new equipment and easy conditions. And if you're good enough to be seriously considering joining the PBA, then holding a 220 ave on house conditions in the states isn't all that difficult really.

Right you are on that one....but ironically they know that anyone can average that in the states....and all european countries and asian countries only need 190-200 ave, how nonsense is that...bring back the hard patterns

http://www.pba.com/membership/default.asp?ID=3679

200 Average for two years OR 220 average for 1 year for regular leagues OR 190 average for a "Sport" league (Sport league are usually that flat patterns, was strictly 2:1 for a while, but now can go 2.5:1 and 3:1 depending on surface and age of the center)

But then again... some regions and even the National tour will let you compete even if you are lower then that... all the PBA cares about is getting their money.

There was some talk on their forum's about how was a guy (Greg Gringritch or something like that) allowed to bowl all the national stops (via the PTQ's), when the only verifiable average according to bowl.com for him was a 185. He bowled almost all the stops last year .... always placed towards the bottom of the PTQ's. He even came out on the PBA boards and said he never averaged above 190.

But then again... who I am to talk or judge... I had a card for a while (via the 2 years above 200 rule...at the time a 210 average from while I was overseas and another one from back in the states of 205 at a tougher house for those two years). I bowled northwest PBA regionals, never did average 200 in an events, never did finish higher than 26th (out of 45 I think for that event).... most of the time I was last or next to last.... Dead giveaway to me that I needed to drop my card and work on my game.

I think this gingrich fellow averaged 185 for all the PTQ's, plus the US open and world championship were of course all entrants are in the main field, think he only missed 1 stop for the year, if you look at his PTQ stats he's actually improving a bit, must have some deep pockets though.

Back
Top Bottom