cricket have yr say

PoITeR

Bowl-A-Holic
ok guys, time to speak about this season crap cricket.

at present our one day side sucks, we dont have bowlers who can play at the death, 20-20 has changed the way players play

Well let me see, no Lee and no Clark, could make a difference, but what we really need is another Peter Taylor, our slow bowlers are Candy for all the best Batsmen.

willey

Am I the only one that thinks they simply need a few more games under their belts with the current side to give experience, as well as the captains a chance to learn more about the guys in the side?

When we were winning everything, the least experienced player usually still had at least 20 ODI under their belts. Just let them work themselves out for a season and i'm sure we will be back to where we were quicker than you may think.

All teams go through it... a rebuilding phase... We've been dominating for so long that there was no need to bleed new players... until now. They have lost quite a bit of experience in both the batting and bowling stocks with the likes of McGrath, Warne, Hayden and Langer to name a few.
What we lack is a quality leg spinner/ slow bowler... Bryce McGain looks pretty good but he is getting on a bit. I think that when the team settles in with each other that they may not dominate as they have but they will be a more confident unit.
Have a look at South Africa now... 5-6yrs ago people were laughing at them for appointing a 22yr old as captain... They are now the #1 team to beat both in the 1 day game and tests.
I think with the Aussies slipping down a notch will make them more hungry but it has also made the test and one day scene more interesting.
The Aussies need to get the agro back and stop being so nice... the opposition doesn't seem to fear us as they once did.

My thoughts only...

Trouble is though Mickyd, everytime the Aussies get stuck into the opposition a bit and give 'em a bit of 'what for', the opposition (usually Sub-Continental teams) pull out the race card and whine like the diff on a '79 Commodore!
In regard to the current situation, I'm old enough to remember when Australia was decidedly crap back in the early to mid 80's.
Anytime you lose the sheer amount of experience, prtofessionalism and talent out of a line-up like what Australia has, it's going to pull you back to the field for quite a long time, you can't always replace that sort of talent.

They'll just have to take their lumps, rebuild and get on with the job like they always have.

The selectors never prepared for the post warne-mcgrath era. At least they have made a start with rebuilding by including the 20yr old youngster Hughes. He needs to be given an extended chance and he could be there for the next 15 years.
The bowling is still a problem. They just seem to have problems bowling people out.

McGrath and Warne were exceptional, it wouldn't matter how long ago they started to train up someone to replace them, it will never happen again, the 2 best bowlers in the World in the 1 Team.

willey

The selectors do need to have a good hard long look at themselves though. it seems like they are in 2 minds about how to rebuild the team. Chopping and changing every game does no one any good imo.

How Cam White ever gets a game before players like Hodge (in any form of the game) is beyond me, White gets smashed when he bowls (not that they bowl him that often) and he doesn't make runs so why does he keep getting picked?

I think the 20/20 stuff is not helping anyone who wants to make the Test Team. The techniques are poles apart. I agree about Cameron White I wouldnt have him in my team, and why wont they put Nathan Bracken in the Test Squad?

Interesting final day coming up tonight. Surely Australia couldn't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against South Africa again?

5/247 at lunch, interesting stage now. but i dont understand this batsman can ask for referral which takes the game out of the umpires on ground hands, i just dont get it

Great win by the Aussies. Hopefully we can back it up next game and win the series

Sad news from Pakistan. We dont have enough cricket playing Nations and if Pakistan cant hold matches in their own country it will affect their cricketing future very badly.
Home games are essential for TV income.

Back
Top Bottom