Correct Drilling

CHRISSY

I was hoping someone could help me out with something i am having trouble with getting information on . I have started bowling two handed about 18 months ago and im not 100% sure the legal way to have my balls drilled.

Thumb hole ? if i dont use one do i have to have one ?
I would just hate to be told one day my ball is illegal , if someone could tell me or point me in the right direction that would be great .

Thanks
Christian

TBA Rule Book

RULE 603 DRILLING SPECIFICATIONS
Holes
The following limitations will govern the drilling of holes in the ball:
1. Holes or indentations, not to exceed five (5), for gripping purposes.
2. One hole for balance purposes not to exceed 1 1/4 inch in diameter.
3. No more than one (1) vent hole to each finger and/or thumb hole not to exceed 1/4 inch in diameter.
4. One mill hole for inspection purposes not to exceed 5/8 inch in diameter and 1/8 inch in depth.

Any hole drilled for gripping purposes will not be deemed to be a balance hole. However, when delivering a ball that has a thumb hole drilled, the player must have his/her thumb in or over the thumb hole. It may not be 180 degrees away from the thumb hole. If a bowler delivers a ball and did not have his/her thumb as defined, the ball will be deemed illegal for that delivery and pins knocked down with that delivery will not be counted.

So basically if you do have a thumb hole and don’t use it your thumb or palm MUST cover the hole.

Frosty:rolleyes:

Does my ball have to have a thumb hole even though i dont use it ?
I currently use a ball with finger holes and a access hole , is this ok ?

Christian

I am not sure, but I do think that when you hold the ball, you have to have the thumb hole covered with your hand or something. Its something like that otherwise it acts as a second axis hole.

Maybe someone else can clarify this?

as the rule states if you have a thumb hole drilled then
the player must have his/her thumb in or over the thumb hole

If you have your palm over the thumb hole then you run the risk of your deliver being deemed illegal. However, this is effectively a judgment call by the TD and very hard to spot.

Best thing is not to have a thumb hole drilled.

the way i read it , is that Christian does NOT have a thumb hole drilled .

BUT !!! just to make sure his ball is not illegal ? ?

what is the ruling on his " Axis or Balance " hole considering he doesn't have a
Thumb Hole ????

Tez.

if you only have finger holes, no thumb hole and one balance hole then the ball is OK providing it weighs up correctly.

Bugs said:
Best thing is not to have a thumb hole drilled.

Actually, this is probably the worst thing this bowler could do.

If a thumb hole isnt drilled, the centre of grip is judged to be within the bowlers bridge. What this does, is limits the types of reactions that one is able to gain by using certain pin placements. Its definately legal to not have a thumb hole drilled, and as a matter of fact, even only having 1 hole would be legal, as long as the ball complies with static weight laws!

The absolute best advice that I can give, is get the smallest possible drillbit, and drill it slightly above where the normal thumb hole would go. Drill it very deep, and don't drill the fingers deep. This will push the bowlers grip centre down towards a 'normal' span, and won't limit drilling options. It will also open up the possibility of adding an XH to fine tune the reaction (increase or decrease flare, raise or lower bowtie, increase midlane or backend). Using a very small drillbit will mean that the bowler will hardly feel it during the delivery, making it easier for him/her to concentrate on their shot!

May I suggest using shorter pinned, lower topweighted balls for the majority of circumstances, as what we are trying to do is keep fingerweight quite high. This is because when we are drilling the thumb, we aren't taking much weight out with a smaller drillbit, and a ball can only have 1oz difference between finger and thumb weight.

The only time I would use something with a longer pin, is when i would be wanting to increase midlane roll/reaction by placing an XH 2inches (or thereabouts) below the bowlers pap on their VAL. This is actually something a nothumber with high revs, and mid to high speed can do to a lightly polished agressive coverstocked ball instead of having to have something dull in their bag. It may help the ball from going too long before its turn.

The greatest thing about being a no thumb bowler, is anyone with any basic knowledge of drilling can drill up a new ball for you, as there is no need to work with the thumb to try and match the exact feel! It would also make the process extremely quick, with the only thing needed to be done to make the grip feel the same is to match the bridge width :D

Best of luck!

p.s. I really am a nerd eh? :p

Thanks for that Tonx ,
My access hole was drilled with the smallest drill bit my driller had so i cant feel it . Thank everyone for their help , hopefully one day i can get good at this two handed caper and have a crack at making a state team rather than following them for a good drinking trip .

Thanks again

Christian

"ouzo the liquid of love"

Back
Top Bottom