Commonwealth Games

K

Kal_i

I was just wondering if any 1 knew if Bowling is in the games again this time round & if so who Australias teams are?

thanx
icon_confused.gif

Tenpin Bowling is not included at Manchester's Commonwealth Games. It's also very unlikely that it will be in the 2006 Games in Melbourne.

However, there is a Commonwealth Tenpin Championships planned for about the same time. I believe that Scotland is the venue and all commonwealth countries have been invited. TBA are yet to announce if they will send a team to this tournament.

They already have, Jason Belmonte and Andrew Frawley will represent the guys, Nat Shelley and Ann Marie wil represent the women. Looks like a good event. Don't count out Melbourne in 2006, Asia FIQ committee will be pushing hard!

I read an article regarding the Olympic Games and bowling, where the FIQ board members met with the IOC president.

Article can be read HERE

It basically states that bowling or any other sport will not be added to the Olympics unless one of the existing sports is dropped.

Hello every1

well, from my understanding, the host city of the commonwealth games (and maybe the olympic games) get to put in an exhibition sport of their choice, and that is why bowling was included in KL '98 (someone correct me if i am wrong)

Hopefully the Aust. Comm. Committee will look at how competative we are in TPB and put it in

c yaz later, and at Nats
Braddles

As I said in any earlier post, it is very unlikely (but not impossible) that TPB will be in the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne.

FYI, the Victoria Commonwealth Games Association have their AGM on this Wednesday night. I happen to be the Voting Delegate for TPB (Vic) at this meeting. I have also been invited along to make a presentation at this meeting on behalf of our sport. Hopefully this will make a difference (I'll post my presentation here on Thursday for those that are interested).

For us to be back in 2006, a sport would need to fall out or withdraw. Be aware that TBAL and the Victorian Association are doing everything possible to get TPB into both the 2004 Youth Commonwealth Games (Bendigo) and Melbourne 2006. Even a late inclusion would be so easy for TPB as all the possible venues are already in place and would require very little finances from the ACGA to put us in.

Fingers crossed.

Yes, well i must congratulate the TBA once again on another great decision regarding the will or will we not stick to our selection policies.
They decided to take the 2001 Australian Adult and Youth Ratings Winners. All of a sudden Ratings do mean something again. I really wish they would make up their minds.
Nat Shelley is a nice girl and a good bowler but considering the talent and standard of other Australian women bowlers I dont believe she is up to the standard of representing Australia at a Commonwealth Games tournament.
Some may agree, some may disagree. This is only my opinion.
Once again I'm very disappointed in the TBA's decission making efforts.
Why pick bowlers on previous years ratings when you made an effort to choose bowlers on current form for the current FIQ teams? It is a pity that bowlers werent notified at the start of last year that this was also a prize for winning the years rankings. I feel sorry for Kate after the Sydney Youth tournament fiasco where certain bowlers werent notified that the entering age had been changed and therfore they basically missed out on points for not attending.

Frawles dont bother replying to this post.
I already know how you feel about the matter.
For you to say that this tournament means nothing, that its not a part of the actual commonwealth games and the only thing those not going miss out on is some frequent flyer points, well thats okay for you to say because YOUR GOING.

Just my thoughts

Amanda

The Commonwealth Championships in Scotland was really only an event placed in concrete some 6 weeks ago.

Unless the TBA have a crystal ball then they had no way of "notifying bowlers at the start of last year that this was also a prize for winning the years rankings."

All I can say is Well Said Amanda in relation to TBA's decision making ability.

I refer to a post within the FIQ comments regarding TBA continually moving the Goal Posts. Another fine example of such!

AMP and Nat I am sure will do us all proud (and yes Nat is a great gal and a great friend of mine) however the inconsistency of TBA's selection processes leaves a lot to be desired and this is what is in question, it's the process not the people. It also leaves those of us who set our goals year in year out to achieve the ultimate in a serious state of confusion. (Not that I would have expected to be selected as one of a two person team, however one of a 6 person team I felt was in my grasp. This also was reflected in my final position of the 2001 Rankings which obviously didn't mean much when selecting FIQ however means everything for this selection!)

I received the FIQ selection "criteria" for this years teams when I missed out, and believe this isn't really worth the paper it was written on and to confirm this I was basically told recently by a TBA representative that my position was at the cost of a "punt" taken by the selectors!

Again not making the future outlook very clear on which goals to set or very promising for the up and coming! Perhaps it's a case of the usual story, who you know rather than how good you are.

Amanda, I can understand your disappointment and your comments are justified.

It's about time that all disgruntled athletes as they like to call us, voice their opinion to this sort of thing. Until such time as a lot more noise is made no changes will occur. My only regret is not appealing the FIQ selection outcome as based on the "criteria" I was sent I feel that I may have won hands down on the actual selection that was made (based on the criteria that they say they used!). However, we will never know as my decision not to appeal was that the only ones to get hurt would be the girls and not the ones who made the decision. However in hind sight until we start making some noise about these decisions nothing will change and again I feel that as bowlers we have no rights.

Jo

That ****s - the Australian Commonwealth Games committee should try everything to get tenpin bowling into the Melbourne games. You've only got to look at the boost that the sport received because of our participation in the Kuala Lumpur games to realise that it can only be a good thing.

If they need to get rid of another sport to fit tenpin bowling in let's get rid of synchronised swimming!! Who gives a rat's about that?

Kales,

Presentation went very well. The Acting CEO for Melbourne 2006 (David Pitchford) also gave a presentation which didn't tell us any more than we already knew.

The official launch for Melbourne 2006 will be in March 2003 - exactly 3 years out.

FYI, my presentation was as follows:

International

1. History and Global Participation

The sport of tenpin bowling has a long and fascinating history. Archaeological evidence points to bowling’s existence for around 7,000 years with the discovery in an Egyptian child’s grave of bowling balls, pins and other implements for playing a game decidedly similar to our modern tenpins. The date of this child’s burial has been placed at 5,200 BC.

Tenpin bowling has grown into the world’s second most played sport. Over 100 million men and women enjoy tenpin bowling as a recreational sport, 11 million people bowl competitively and more than 200,000 people compete at an elite level. With one of the largest grassroots followings in the world, its active participants come from all walks of life and all age groups – juniors, youth, adults and seniors.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics consistently ranks tenpin bowling in the country’s top ten participation sports. The “Australians’ Sporting Interest” survey – the Sweeney Sports Report 2001/2002 – showed tenpin bowling with a 22% rate of Total Population Who Participate, ahead of Cycling (21%) and 6th equal with Golf (22%).

Domestic

1. Australia’s World and Commonwealth Ranking

Australian female bowlers have virtually dominated world amateur rankings for several years. Australian women have won the premier Singles tournament – the AMF Bowling World Cup – on four occasions since 1995.

Newcastle’s Ann Maree Putney is reigning World Masters Champion, and having won Gold in the Masters and Bronze in the Doubles event at the World Championships in Abu Dhabi in 1999, she was awarded the coveted “Best Female Player” trophy at the World Championships.

Commonwealth Games triple-Gold medallist, Cara Honeychurch from Melbourne has now embarked on a highly successful career on the women’s professional circuit in the United States. Cara won the “Rookie of the Year” title on the 2000 Tour and is now classed in the top three female bowlers on the PWBA Tour.

In April 2002, Melbourne hosted the 5th WTBA Asian Schools Championships. Our Australian “Junior” team comprising of school age bowlers competed against the finest in Asian and came away with 2 Gold, 3 Silver and 2 Bronze medals.

The television highlights of this tournament are currently being aired through ESPN/Star and Fox Sports with an expected TV audience of 80 million, throughout Asia. This one hour show can be seen tomorrow morning at 5.00AM on Foxsports 2 and replayed at a more respectable 10.00AM on Friday.

This year, Melbourne, also hosted the selection trials for the Australian Men’s team and the Australian Youth Teams. These teams travel to their respective international tournaments in late June and August to compete against the best in the world. Our prospects of returning with medals look very positive.

2. Participation in Major Events

Tenpin bowling is involved in almost every major international sporting event, including the pinnacle of its achievement at the Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur in 1998.

The sport is included in the following international and regional championships:- World Games, Pan American Games, Asian Games, Central and South American Games, South East Asian Games, Caribbean Games, Maccabiah Games, Masters Games, Solidarity Games, World Gay Games, CISS Games, Arafura Games etc.

We now eagerly, and patiently, await the announcement of sports for the 2004 Youth Commonwealth Games in Bendigo and look forward to inclusion in future Commonwealth Games.

3. Current Structure and Participation in Australia

The NSO of the sport in Australia is Tenpin Bowling Australia Limited (TBAL). In close association with the Australian Sports Commission and following extensive consultation with its members and stakeholders, TBAL has established a modern corporate structure and adopted a new Constitution and By Laws for the sport.

A not-for-profit company, limited by guarantee, TBAL has been established to provide skills development and elite athlete pathways, to administer the rules and equipment specifications, provide coaching and officials accreditation and generally develop and promote the sport of tenpin bowling nationally. TBAL is the second largest bowling organisation in the world, providing governance for more than 100,000 affiliated bowlers across the nation.

In Victoria, we have taken the lead from the NSO, and have totally re-organised this sport in line with National Policies. The administration of this sport, within Victoria country and city districts, is now completely unified under the umbrella of the Victoria Tenpin Bowling Committee of Management.

Additional Information

Australia is acknowledged as being amongst the leaders of the sport’s administration and development. The sport’s pathway for athletes and coaches begins in its schools program and in every bowling centre in Australia where championships are held. The athletes then compete in regional, State and National championships and on reaching this stage, athletes identified with potential are selected into the National Training Squad and participate in various development camps held each year.

This pool of National Training Squad bowlers has the opportunity of representing Australia at Asian Zone or World Championships for tenpin bowling. The bowlers who represented Australia in Kuala Lumpur in 1998 – Cara Honeychurch, Maxine Nable, Frank Ryan and Michael Muir – have all come through this process from early teenage years.

In addition, TBAL has developed an Advisory Network of committees who have a voice directly to the TBAL Chairperson representing various areas of it’s membership – Junior and Youth Affairs, Women’s Issues, Disabilities, Local Associations, Seniors, Coaching and Technical, as well as Tournament Bowlers. These committees, being the voice of the grassroots membership, provide feedback and input into programs run by the national governing body.

TBAL is developing Technical Accreditation which provides not only the technical expertise specific to our sport, but provides units on event organising, promotion and marketing of tournaments and sporting festivals. TBAL is working closely with other members of both Asian Zone and the WTBA to implement programs worldwide in Coaching, Technical, and Women’s and Youth Affairs.
Summary

Like every competitive sport, tenpin bowling transcends language and cultural differences and is, in summary:-

 Recognised by health professionals as having many benefits – a sun-safe, low-impact, non-contact sport, it requires mental and physical precision, stamina, and excellent hand-eye coordination and muscle memory.
 Gender equal, and non-discriminatory by age or size,
 Scored objectively and clearly, not dependent on judging,
 Competition is unaffected by weather conditions,
 Requires minimal budget to organisers, due to small team sizes and provision of high-tech venue and facilities by Australian industry leaders,
 Potential for high revenue television rights, with avid fan loyalty internationally,
 It is a safe, drug-free, family-oriented sport.

Australia’s outstanding performance at the 1998 Commonwealth Games, during which the team of four bowlers won an impressive five medals (three Gold, one Silver and a Bronze), is truly inspirational for aspiring young athletes in this country. Heroes and role models, such as Commonwealth Games medallists Cara Honeychurch and Maxine Nable, and World Masters Champion, Ann Maree Putney, continue to inspire and motivate young bowlers to participate in the sport.

Im just interested to know if everyone is aware of the TBA Rankings System that appears to be in place.

TBA has implemented a rolling 12 month Rankings System (as seen in this Quote taken from the TBA Website Rankings Section) :

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote:</font><HR>HOW IT WILL WORK
A simple system based on a fixed points table, covering only the listed major national events. The system will be continuous, in that all points gained in one January to December year will be progressively replaced with the following year’s points. This rolling 12 months of data is used to support the ranking of any player. This promotes consistency and avoids the situation whereby last year’s Number One ranked player drops to 45th because of a single bad result in the first event. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im just interested to know that if the rolling rankings system is in place, why were the bowlers selected to go taken from the rankings as of the end of 2001, when it is now a full 6 months into 2002.

Was this rolling points system taken into account ?? Does it count for anything ??

Graham,

Current rankings has three of the four still at No. 1.

One of the Comm Team Members has dropped to third - probably as she has had a forced break. Should TBA discriminate because she has had a child?

Don't get me wrong, I am not attacking the selections. I was just wondering why the cutoff of the end of last year was taken and not the current rankings ??

I must have missed something. Where does it say we have to send two adult and two youth bowlers to Scotland?

What happened to the top 4 adults getting a run? Obviously the adult circuit doesnt hold much worth.

Where were the rankings when the mens and womens Australia FIQ teams were picked? If the criteria was that we send the top ranked bowlers then why weren't the top three ranking men and women bowlers selected?

Obviously did not have a copy of them handy, or was under the coffees.

As I see it..this is just another case of TBA showing blatant favouritism.

Gee it wouldnt be like the TBA to discriminate now would it? If you want a comparison as to why Ann Maree is coming third in the rankings, a similar thing happened to Amanda when she was due to give birth. She was forced to miss 2-3 tournaments due to complications in birth. Ann Maree has missed one tournament and was 3rd before she gave birth to Karlen. To be truthful she could have bowled this wknd as she is back bowling now. So why should Amandas choice to have a baby one year affect her chance to represent her country at Commonwealth games or Kates chance because she was youth last year but now tops the Adult rankings?

I dont know how feasible this is or whether the united brains can understand it but if we ever move to a minimum number of tournaments for rankings points, perhaps we should also look at a comparison between actual points and how many tournaments a player has bowled in. ie work out a simple formula like points divided by number of tournaments to give a percentage.

Qbert has a point. All of a sudden rankings mean something, just unfortunate that the current rankings dont mean anything at the moment. Maybe the current rankings now will count for something in years to come?????

Gees,
we keep going over the same ground.Do the test again,and if you pass,and especially if you are or are likely to be affected,---ask yourself seriously,WHAT AM I GOING TO DO ABOUT IT? Otherwise just lie back,relax and enjoy it!!!

Cross

posted 02 June 2002 02:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In order to qualify to continue to take part in this discussion, please answer the following questions, by placing an ‘X’ in the box of your choice.
NOTE

Bowlers - please place X in one box only for each question, with the exception of Q.6.

Administrators & other Decision Makers You may place ‘X’ in both boxes (or neither) in each question, as you have an automatic exemption from any requirement to think "outside the square".

Q.1. Should Australian Representative Teams be selected:
On Bowling Ability?
YES [_] Go to Q.2
NO [_] Go to Q.7

Q.2 In order to select on ability, should this:-
Be left entirely to the judgment of Selectors

YES [_] You have finished the test, log off and disqualify yourself from all leagues and tournaments for six months.
NO [_] go to Q.3.

Q.3 Should we determine bowling ability by :
Current and Recent bowling results?
YES [_] go to Q.4.
OR
Other miscellaneous factors?
YES [_] accept an appointment, for the term of your natural life, to the T.B.A. Board, You are excused from the remainder of the test.

Q.4 Would you consider that a series of nominated Tournaments would provide a means to measure relative ability between bowlers?
YES [_] go to Q.5.
NO [_] sorry, there are no further vacancies on the T.B.A. Board. Would you accept a place in the team as compensation? You have finished the test (and failed).

Q.5. Would you agree that lane conditions in such Tournaments be set with regard to known F.I.Q. conditions, and that this requirement be supervised and enforced by the Sports’ Controlling Body?
YES [_] sorry, we don’t have a Sports’ Controlling Body, we only have the T.B.A., but go to Q.6. anyway.
NO [_] well, at least you’re realistic, also go to Q.6.

Q.6. Assuming that we have now sorted out relative abilities (regardless of Q.5.) should we now disregard this and remove any bowlers who:
a) Have not bowled in City, Zone, State or National Championships?
b) Have brown eyes?
c) Have not participated in President’s Shield or Rachuig Trials?
d) Are not good at jumping through hoops?
e) Any other pre-condition thought up from time to time?
f) Bowls with the wrong hand? (which hand this is, will be decided by toss of coin).

I agree with any or all of the above
YES [_] go back to Q.1. and attempt to resolve conflict and start test again
NO [_] Congratulations! You’ve passed the test, but what are you going to do about it?

Q.7 This question is not a question. This is an instruction. If you answered NO to Q.1. you have automatically agreed to the following:
That, for your own good and in the interests of Bowling, you be removed from your place of residence, and taken to a place of execution and there be compelled to bowl on dry lanes, with a highly reactive ball until you die of frustration.

NOTE TO EXECUTIONER Please ‘phone your nearest A.M.F. Centre, prior to arrival to ensure lane availability. No special lane preparation should be necessary.

FOOTNOTE Current team members, please don’t believe that this reflects upon you. Even a silly system can produce good results from time to time.

--------------------

I thought I was wrong once,but I was mistaken

Back
Top Bottom