Channel 10 - Totally Wild - bowling segment

phantomD

To help get juniors excited about the sport of bowling, the filming of a bowling segment was recently negotiated with the QLD producers of Channel 10's prominent kids TV show, Totally Wild.

One of Australia's top bowlers was interviewed and gave some pointers for the kids on how to perfect their game. We regretted not putting the scoring on as at least one 300 game must have been bowled in the course of the morning!!

It aired yesterday afternoon in a national prime kids timeslot, please find a link to the story below (from 4:20 approx).
http://ten.com.au/video-player.htm?movideo_p=41457&movideo_m=251266

Thats great exposure for sure. Been along time since bowling has been on FTA tv in any format, so a huge step in the right direction.

BUT im going to play the Devils advocate here and suggest a few what if's...

What if kids were at sport...? What if they simply dont watch that show? What if they were outside doing something else? What if they were on a console playing a game?

How many kids did we miss?

What im getting at is that whilst this is a good thing for the sport, there are probably better and more effective ways to get to more kids and improve the conversion rate of advertising into actual people through the door.

Did the TBA spend any $ on the Totally Wild segment? Hopefully not, as in my opinion whilst 4mins 20sec of national tv time sounds good if it comes at a cost of say even as little as 10K it could have been spent better.

How about we get into schools and hand out some free game vouchers? Then isolate these voucher bookings and ensure when they are redeemed someone asks them if they enjoyed themselves and would they be interested in joining a junior league or some lessons to improve their game?

Some schools out there have kids that choose bowling as a sport every week, how many of these kids bowl regularly other than school sport? Imagine if they knew they could bowl every week with their friends in a real competitive environment and improve as they go, has anyone asked them?

Before someone says "we cant afford to run centres by giving away games to all school kids!!" We should ask how much an empty lane costs rather than one with potential to create future earnings by having a kid throw 1 or 2 free games on a weekday afternoon when in most cases there is no one using the lanes. The kid might like it and pay for another couple of games, especially if someone encourages them to become a bowler.

Whats your simple idea to get people through the door?

No money was spent by anybody associated with bowling on this segment. It's Channel 10's program, their idea and they wrote the script.

The absolute stubborn negativity of some people in the face of such a positive really leaves me wondering why I bother. I thought more than twice before posting that link on this forum.

Tenpin bowling featured on totally wild back in 2009. Myself, cassie s, david porto and glen loader featured on it and it was filmed at werribee superbowl. The tba ceo gillian organised it

No money was spent by anybody associated with bowling on this segment. It's Channel 10's program, their idea and they wrote the script.

The absolute stubborn negativity of some people in the face of such a positive really leaves me wondering why I bother. I thought more than twice before posting that link on this forum.

You have COMPLETELY missed the point of my post. If you read my first sentence you will see i acknowledged the positive step forward. The remainder of my post went on to suggest how we can really drive the sport. In no way was my post negative as far as im concerned.

It wasnt driven by anyone from the our sport? Channel 10 approached the TBA for permission to do the show?

Hmmm so what do we have to spruik about other than a tv station decided to give us a free hit?

How terrible of me to post such a negative suggestion that we maybe do something positive and get into schools where there are hundreds of thousands of kids who are potential league bowlers.

The purpose of my post was to show that maybe, just maybe we need to get out there rather than wait for a tv station to approach us for some exposure.

Can someone tell me and put me in my place if we have infact done something as simple as give some freebies to schools to promote the sport? Happy to be corrected with facts.

There are some people working very hard to push the Inter School Challenge and Roll 'n' Strike programs in schools. As an extension to the in-school program there is now also a Roll 'n' Strike league in-centres. All kids receive certificates and vouchers as part of the program. Bowling centres also regularly drop vouchers into schools and support PE teachers with sports certificates and other free offerings.

These are the facts.

Thats good news then isnt it. Just because ive never seen a free game voucher redeemed in the centres ive bowled in or spent time in over the last 25 years doesnt mean they didnt exist.

No need to get all narky about it.

I give up on this forum, i truly do.

*waves white flag*

Out.

I for one have been driving the sport here the gold coast and at robina amf.. I am also running a Roll 'n Strike league starting i feb..

As many might have seen i also did a free sign on day where kids came along and got free game and coaching..

We also have schools that come in everyweek wicth i have set up as a league so they feel wat its like to play each week..

Cheers doug

The one at Werribee in 2009 was organised by Totally Wild with assistance by Edi and Doriana. We invited Gillian along to represent TBA as a gesture of goodwill in representing the sport.

We had a segment on Channel 7's "Prime Possum Club" in NSW/VIC/Gold Coast and the Doopa Dog equivalent in WA earlier this year too. Entirely funded by Prime, they actually contacted us for assistance in presenting it as a viable sporting choice rather than a social game.

Back
Top Bottom