Capalaba Stage 1 results

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
12 games completed, the top 16 progressing to Sunday mornings finals. From there the 16 will bowl 6 games, the field will cut to 12 and bowl a further 6 games, the field will again cut to the top 6 will will bowl another 6 games to decide the winner. Pinfall is carried over through all stages.

Current top 16

Carl Bottomley +339
George Frilingos (L) +306
Brandon Qual +179
Grant Hold +176
Harold Fryer +165
Ryan Bagley +136
John Whillans +121
Ricky Carlos +115
Barry Walsh +94
Richard Brown +57
Mark Senior +56
Martin Krause +47
Adam Lack +19
Ben Hynes -15
Robert Delahoy -21
Phil Ramsey -73

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

George,

Obviously Capalaba is a nice easy ditch for you, enabling you to shoot good numbers.

For a man, who I quote, has "bowled in four countries and 80 different centres" you were nothing short of pathetic up here in Townsville.

You were so busy bitching and moaning about how dry the lanes were, that you didn't even stop to think that you won the tournament last year when the lanes were much drier. This year for what it is worth, the lanes had recently been resurfaced, and held their oil very well.

Everyone (and that includes you) can have a bad day, but to blame the lanes(which a lot of other people scored well on) is a piss weak cop out. I mean did the lanes cause you to miss countless 7 pins and other easy spares???

No, and that is why you will only ever be any good on lanes that are set up for carry contests. I mean after all you were the one telling everybody how you were going to come to Townsville and blow everyone away and yet you couldn't even average 180. Some of our local lady league bowlers beat you quite convincingly.

This is one main reason why we never do any good over seas, because the mentality of a lot of people (not all) is "if I can't bowl the shot I want then the lanes are ****".

Let's get rid of the carry contests, and lay down a condition that is fair, but also relies on the bowlers to utilise their mental game and talent.

George, you are a good bloke with a heart of gold, but if your gonna talk the talk make sure you can walk the walk.And remember the old saying; "It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Steve

icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Steve

The world governing body (FIQ) enforces certain standards for lanes to be dressed in order to be fair and legal. Townsville I feel fell short of that standard. The obvious point I wish to make is that everyone in the finals bowled very fast and forced the ball down the lane. Thats not what the sport is about, it's about skill and hitting your target. Not who can bowl the fastest.

You forgot to ask the other southerners who came up what they thought of the lanes. Even Hughes who came a valiant 2nd spoke all the way home on the plane about how dry they were. I'm sure if you ask Robbie Buckley, Damien McAndrew, Ian Schuler you'll get the same response.

Also to re-fresh your memory on what happens when lanes get re-surfaced. The backends become bigger!! This means the lanes appear even dryer. How long did the condition hold up as well?? The fact is townsville was very dry, you just don't have anything to compare it too because you only have 2 centres up there. After you bowl in over 80 different centres in 4 countries in the world in one year, I think I am entitled to state they were the driest lanes I have bowled on anywhere in the World. I've been able to score on the toughest conditions that Kegle have been able to put out, I dont' need a ditch.

When I used to bowl in Townsville I use to have my thumb holes drilled very big and do what people say now as " squeezing the ball " as well as bowling very fast. This delays the roll of the ball. Since moving to Brisbane and bowling overseas I have learnt that is not the way to bowl. I now have a tight thumb hole allowing me to relaxing my thumb and ensure I am hitting the ball as it leaves my hand, ensuring the most consistancy possible. As a result my ability to bowl on extreme dry lanes is not that good. You squeeze the ball and bowl incredibly fast, that has been dictated by the conditions you bowl on week to week. If you lived down here, you'd be bowling a little slower and hitting it some more. Look at people who bowl in Andrew Frawleys place in Sydney, they all hit the ball and know how to bowl because they are faced with tough oil conditions every week.

I know I can bowl on most conditions and have made a lot of money bowling in the last 2 years, conditions from dry to extreme oil. You however have won one little event in your own backyard and that would make you some sort of expert now?? How about you bowl some National stops, win some of them and start making the cut regulary which I don't have a problem doing much anymore. Then you'll appreciate what is dry and what is wet, until then you've got no idea.

As for bowling on a ditch, I bowl with what is given to me, are you going to say the same thing about Carl because everywhere we bowl in Brisbane we are able to average over 220. You don't take into account that I bowl at these centres regulary and already know where to stand and what to use. How about you chat to me when you have some more experience uner your belt, because at the moment your resume doesn't justify your comments.

G

hi all, just can't help myself sorry george i agree with steve(only about the conditions) lets get rid off these carry contest and bring on the SPORT CONDITIONS!!!

BFCC

The conditions we bowled on at Logan on Saturday night, Townsville was drier than that. I agree Jeff about the SPORT patterns but plain dry is not acceptable.

G

George,

OK, so I'm not a self appointed legend bowler like yourself, and no I haven't won any National tournaments, nor have I bowled overseas.

However, I bowled Presidents Shield (How many times did you make that ???) at Rushcutter, NSW (86), Rockhampton, Qld (87) and Chadstone, Vic (88). All of these three were extremely tough conditions, especially using urethane equipment - remember what that is ??

I also was a member of the initial Australian Development Squad, which attended the AIS and bowled under the guidance of Dick Ritger, Andy McKay and Jeanette Baker-Flynn at Beconnen, ACT.

In 1990 I came 3rd in the Australian Masters behind Gary Jeffery and Rob Zikman - in the process beating the likes of Silvano Prez, and Ian Hughes (using urethane gear).

In 1995 I bowled in the Australian Marathon at Clayfield. I was the only bowler in the field of 90+ bowlers using a urethane ball and still made the cut averaging a respectable 200 against the likes of Ian Bradford, Andrew Frawley, Terry Wenban, Morty Douglass, Mark Ramsay, Mark Sheehan, Carl Bottomley and Andrew Drew.

I could go on but that is not the purpose of my post. For you (of all people)to say that I am not as qualified as you to comment on lane conditions etc shows what a self centred egostistical maniac you really are.After all you were the one who kept ringing me, your dad etc saying how your were going to win it easily especially as the lanes had just been done. But as soon as you bowl like an old hack, it's the lanes fault.

OK so maybe I do bowl faster than you, but if that's what's working then why not heed the old saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

You were the one who pranced in during qualifying and threw off at my bowling style, telling me that I didn't use my fingers and how you were going to flick it from 20 out to the edge.

You also forgot to mention that 3rd placed Craig Hembrow, while he bowls fast also puts more revs and hook on his ball that Billy Gardiner shooting it through 25 to 2 and back. So if you are such a gun bowler how come you couldn't ?? (Maybe your wrist was playing up).

It further illustrates my point that you are so used to bowling on ditched up, easy conditions that you have forgotten how to "think" about your game. You would rather use 10 different balls and then if they don't work you email Track and complain about how tough it is and let them do all the thinking for you.

As for Carl Bottomley......As a bowler you don't blow wind up Carl's ass. Carl has been one of the premier bowlers in Australia for the last 18-20 years both in Juniors and Seniors and also has an incredibly astute bowling brain. Carl doesn't have to tell everyone how good he is, because he lets his bowling do the talking.

And in closing I'd like to quote Ian Schuler(who also missed the cut but didn't sook like you) by saying "I have bowled in 1 country and 5 centres this year, but I still kicked your ass!!!!"

By the way why did you say that you weren't going to bowl in Cairns or Redcliffe, that's right because you want to bowl at centres like Woodville where it's a lefties ditch.

Steve

PS Ian Hughes may have found the lanes dry, but like the true professional he is, he got on with business, used his brain and came 2nd. If you are as good as you claim to be why couldn't you at least make the cut like Ian, Damien McAndrew and Chris Quaill???

You are truly the Anthony Mundine of bowling, although at least he didn't get beaten by a 45 year old lady (with a 163ave).

icon_razz.gif
icon_razz.gif

As much as this is amusing watching two grown (??) men having a go at each other .. id prefer if you kept it out of the forum.

Thanks

to jl , sports conditions are the answer!! it will stop these carry contests were the guy with the right ball wins not the best bowler.the first sport condition tournament at caboolture proved that there were alot of guys up there with all the new equipment and it didn't help them at all , the guy that bowled the best on the day won.
one of the reason numbers have dropped off is that the fringe bowlers don't think they can keep up with the scores of today.the fringe bowlers that used to show up thought that they were a chance of making a cut if they had a good day.the idea behind the big ditches was that everyone would throw big games, all it really did was make gap between the top bowlers and the fringe bowlers even wider so much so the fringe bowlers have stopped bowling tournaments. if you look at the names that show up at tournaments in qld it is the same 20-30 guy each time .

i wish people would stop complaining about lane conditions. what you get is what you get alright!! if you keep putting down "SPORT conditions", we would be continually seeing the same scores bowled all the bloody time. so just let it go ok

well i don't know about you, but i would rather a different condition put down at every event, not the same at every event. if the same condition was put down in every event, then the same bowlers would win all of the time. as i said, everyone has to bowl on the same condition on the day of the event, so if you can't handle the condition that's on the lanes, then go bowl somewhere else.

who cares if the lanes are dry or wet, or a ditch or not... everyone still has to bowl on that condition whether they like it or not. you cannot complain about lane conditions. i know people always will, but if you can't bowl good enough to make a cut, then go look at things outside of the lane conditions... and that doesn't include poor pin carry either.

Great point jl - If you don't cut, look at something other than lane conditions. Boy that opens up a can of worms - I know very few bowlers that are able to say the words 'there was nothing wrong with the lanes, I just bowled poorly'.

I am yet to try these new 'sport conditions' which are the latest trend in thoughts on what will restore bowling numbers - however, I wonder this: If the sport conditions are that tough only allowing a few bowlers to score over the card; how would these 'fringe' bowlers handle these conditions - this is a genuine question; not a criticism of bfcc. If sport conditions will allow fringe bowlers to compete with the tournament bowlers then I agree that the sport condition should be used.

The other point of jl I think is very valid too - If every centre used exactly the same pattern then wouldn't bowling be boring! It is all these variables that make bowling such a wonderful sport!

It is these variables that, unfortunately for me, show me that I have a long, long way to go in being as good as I aspire to be - but it is something to work on and a never ending learning experience. Thats the fun of bowling.

I think that guys like Carl Bottomley and Ian Hughes that are able to consistently make cuts on all conditions are true champions of our sport. Their bowling speaks volumes, certainly more than anything can be posted on any forum.

I have a number of videos at home of the pro-bowlers tour in America and am left to wonder where are the true role models of our sport? The guys who are outstanding bowlers and yet humble enough to give of their time to lower bowlers (including myself). This, I believe, is one of the reasons why tournament bowling is dying a slow death - I hope I am wrong, time will tell.

In closing, I bowled townsville, got hammered (in bowling) but had a great time. Looking forward to next year. My memorable moment in townsville was the last shot in practice - the centre had stopped and I was the guy that got his thumb caught in the ball - nothing like seeing a basketball go straight up in the air and almost hit the lights - AHHHHH. And as for why I didn't cut. Well I am off to spare school to learn how to spare again!

Seriously though - great tournament guys, see you next year - even if I don't cut - the jetskiing on Magnetic island was great fun!

May the bowling gods be with us all!

Cheers
Jon King
icon_wink.gif

as jon as just stated in his post... a good bowler, a true champion, should be able to bowl on all conditions... that is 100% correct. however we can all be champions by just accepting that we might not have bowled as good as the others, not by blaming it on something else. that just proves that someone cannot handle the fact that they lost, and that there are bowlers that are perhaps better than them.

no bowler is perfect, no lane condition is perfect, no bowling ball is perfect. that is the way it will always be.

ok guys and girls, i'm not trying to have a go at anyone in particular here, but just simply trying to say before anyone goes blaming a lane condition for their poor scores, or perhaps for everyone's telephone numbers, just have a look at yourself first before doing so. the mechanics down the back-end can't always get the condition correct, and everyone knows that they probably never will. you can never get a condition that will suit everyone in the tournament. you just have to realise that its up to you - the bowler - to be able to find that shot out on the lane, no matter what the condition is. the shot is always there. then you have to able to utilise that shot to your advantage, to be able to succeed. blaming a lane condition, or the carry around the pin deck is just the easy way out. if you can't carry that 10-pin, then its time to adjust, make a change. the ultimate way to become a winner, a champion, is to learn from the mistakes from the past and assess what you did, what you didn't do and what you should have done, so that when the next time comes around, you will be able to better.

i've had my say, that's enough for me

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote
who cares if the lanes are dry or wet, or a ditch or not... everyone still has to bowl on that condition whether they like it or not. you cannot complain about lane conditions. i know people always will, but if you can't bowl good enough to make a cut, then go look at things outside of the lane conditions... and that doesn't include poor pin carry either.

J

Seriously man .. I think you have to understand that sometimes you can get conditions that are just so FUBARed that it's just so dry that all of a sudden using the word "bowl" when describing what you do to the ball isnt appropriate anymore.

"throw" "chuck" "hurl" and "heave" come to mind. I'm sorry but if you come across a crap condition that is just dry dry dry (as George was saying Townsville was) well that isnt bowling is it ? It all comes down to who has experience throwing it hard and fast, not bowling the ball.

Now sure - everyone is "throwing" it on the same condition, but "bowling" BAH

Now in regards to not being able to complain about conditions, if you were able to throw more than 5 revs you would know how difficult it can be to bowl on dry dry dry conditions. ADAPT ? Sure .. you can adapt .. you can go to pegging the ball like the rest of the field. But that can be difficult - it's just like anything - if you arent used to it you arent going to be able to adapt and change on your first attempt.

There are certain standards in Australia that we are trying to adopt, one of these is lane conditions. The ability for a centre to put down more oil than what they use on their french fries is a good start, and from all indications at this particular tournament, this DID NOT happen.

I for one would like to see some of the guys from up north come down and have a go at some of our centres with oil, where you need to put your fingers in the ball to make it hook. I'm sure we wouldnt see them mastering the art straight away either.

So you see : I agree with you when you say people should adapt .. but not being able to say it had something to do with the lanes when there is no oil : hence NO CONDITION ??? HMMMM

I wasn't going to buy into this discussion,but now I feel I must,I am the Manager of the Townsville centre in question,and yes obviously the condition is drier than in southern centres, but as it is being portrayed on this forum,you would think that we don't use oil up here, my back end and front end staff and myself put in a lot of hard hours and effort into trying to give the best condition possible,and were told by many of the bowlers that even though it was tough it was not impossible, and that we had done a good job.I am not looking for pats on the back,just a little bit less exaggeration on the condition of the lanes. As for your suggestion that bowlers from up here go down to some of the tournaments down south,the winner of the Sun City is doing just that,starting with the Redcliffe Open,Koolfoam and quite a few others so let's see how he goes.And just for the record,of the 20 bowlers in the final,there were many varied styles of bowling,even strokers of the ball who did well.All I can say is don't always accept at face value what is told to you.
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif

Mysti - good luck to the Funky Chicken .. I hope he does well.

I'm sure your staff all do a great job in conditioning and setting up the lanes and the centre for tournaments, and at least your tournament was able to put together a field and run - unlike other tournaments which have bene canned prior to this.

And we all know that the lane conditions in North Queensland aren't going to be a lake, and that the recent resurfacing of the lanes would make the lanes appear drier (with bigger backends). However you did admit that they are going to be drier than most southern centres. If it is any drier than what we have in some centres in Brisbane - some bowlers are going to be in trouble.

Ok - so some of them said they were ok - and you said you had strokers ? OK - and how many of these are used to the conditions and bowl there almost every week ??

I'm not trying to put down what you have done in Townsville. My main point was in reply to J - as he said that everyone has to bowl on the condition, and lane conditions cannot be blamed. A bowler is able to say that the lane conditions were dry and that was the reason for them not bowling well.

J said <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote
you cannot complain about lane conditions. i know people always will, but if you can't bowl good enough to make a cut, then go look at things outside of the lane conditions...
Sometimes it is the lane conditions. Sometimes it isnt. But to say you cannot complain about conditions - that's bull****.

Ok guys i'm sorry but i wasn't going to post anything but i now feel the need to.

Firstly, George pull your head in buddy, i'm not havin a crack at you nor am i taking sides between you and steve but i bowled in townsville and yeah maybe i can bowl fast and just "throw it down the lane" but i can vary my shot between slower and faster. I haven't bowled in 80 different centres or 4 countries but i have bowled on very very wet condition for example - President Shield at Melbourne (sunshine) and Sydney (bankstown) for some of you "southerners" these may not be so wet but for a northerner they are super wet. In Townsville i found the oil held beautifully until the 17th game in the final, but that was to be expected.

I did not find townsville to be bad at all, actually i found them to be 100% better than last year, i qualified shooting the card. Now i'll be the first to say that you my friend are a Super bowler compared to me, what i am trying to say is that you can't blame the lanes, that would just be a petty excuse. Just take it on the chin and move on.

I know that all this has been said in previous posts but i just had to have my 2 bob.

Secondly to Judy, Ken and the team at Currajong bowl. CONGRATULATIONS on a well run tournament. It has to be the best tournament i have bowled in for a couple of years. I will definately be there next year.

Lastly to old TUBS
icon_biggrin.gif
Congrats man you were a true champion. You deserved it more than any of us out there. But i still beat you in matchplay LOL
icon_wink.gif
. See you in Cairns

Frank N

Back
Top Bottom