Canberra Seniors Cup 2013

Hi Hollywood{ just as a spectator asking a quick question} is the lane draw for this tournament going to be done from a hat by the bowlers or before we get there........ just asking
thanks

Chris

If I remember correctly, in the past, the pre allocate the lanes but they may change that for this event.

Susanne

Hi Bowlers,

I would like to let everyone know of some events that have occurred recently and hence would like some important feedback from bowlers in the CSC. in order to help this run as smoothly as we possibly can.

We will only have 22 lanes in which to bowl on, 23 & 24 are definitely out of action this change has recently been approved by Cara.

So as we currently have 48 & 60 for A & B squads respectively we are going to open A squad to 50.in order to
If we leave 22 lanes in play we will have 5 pairs in A squad & 6 pairs in B squad waiting approx 20 mins for the others with 5 & 6 bowlers on to finish each block which I don't believe is at all smart for us oldies getting cold.

So the thought is we use 20 lanes so if our squads remain full we will have even numbers on every pair, 5 in A squad & 6 in B squad. And we will use 1 & 2 as breakdown lanes.
This means within reason everyone finishes each block basically at the same time give or take a frame or two.

This will mean a longer day on the Saturday unfortunately but bearable I believe. But Sunday is a different matter for those flying home in A squad if there are any?

Your thoughts please on the following, we will be happy with the majority and run with what best suits the bowlers.

I think the timing issue is more relevant to those in A squad for Sunday, but to all regarding the games and costs.

1. Would you like to cut the games on the Sunday to 6 as you did in Caboolture and have the two game lineage cost go into the prize fund? OR have a return of $12.40 each messy but doable.
We would envisage a finish time on Saturday of around 6- 6.30pm for B squad. Sunday still starting at 7.30am B Squad finishing around 11.15-11.30 - reoil - and A squad finishing around 3-3.30pm.

This has a two fold win it gets us finished at a normal time for flights and long drives home and also more money into the prize fund if you choose that option.

I would really appreciate your feedback by next Friday at the latest so we can start planning.

The Pattern will remain as London, as it is the best suited and shaped pattern of the WTBA patterns for Tuggeranong, so please be assured it is playing well and is down every weekend before the Cup. More of us will be bowling on it again tomorrow afternoon after they oil.
I have attached the London pattern beside the Los Angeles so you can see the difference between the two for your own peace of mind. It will play nothing like what you experienced on the weekend.

I have also the latest squad listing for everyone and we now have 1 spot available in A squad.

Look forward to your thoughts, and thank you for your time on this & look forward to seeing you all here on the 23rd.

Kind Regards,
Hollywood.

Chris

If I remember correctly, in the past, the pre allocate the lanes but they may change that for this event.

Susanne

In order to expedite the tournament we will be doing a hat draw by members of the committee on the Thursday or Friday so it can be loaded into the system the night before. Otherwise it would take forever on the day.

Attachments

• WTBA London (8).pdf
    184 KB · Views: 45
  • WTBALosAngeles36-12 (2).pdf
    222 KB · Views: 33
  • Canberra Seniors Cup Squad List 2013-1.xls
    64.5 KB · Views: 78
David,

Given the circumstances the suggested changes seem the logical way to go.

These slight changes will assist the travelers that may have had any time related issues.

My thought would be to add the additional cash to the Prize Payout!

Hope this helps,

David,
Robyn Flynn here using Sue's account. I don't use totaling bowling and many don't so no much point posting for opinions as not every one will get the message. I believe that everyone should be contacted individually in some manner.
I don't wish for the tournament to be dropped to 14 games. All of our tournaments used to be 18 games, now 16 games and now your suggesting 14. Could we increase to10 games on Saturday and then 6 on Sunday.
Adding extra cash to the prize fund benefits only a few. Money should be refunded.

Reactions: bm2
Hi Hollywood. I have to say I am very disappointed with the decision to stay with the London pattern. Following the AO and the debate over what patterns are appropriate for our tournaments, I was led to believe the London pattern would not be used at Tuggeranong. Based on this, I decided to stay in the tournament and have bought flights and I know others from SA have also confirmed their travel arrangements. I would have withdrawn had I known what the plans are.

On your proposal for the tournament, I agree with Robyn - reducing the tournament to 14 games is only making a bad situation worse (especially for those that are travelling to attend). Further, increasing the purse is, as Robyn said, benefitting a few. I think the best option is to bowl 10 games on the Saturday and 6 games on the Sunday.

That will make it a little difficult for the "B" squad bowlers but please don't switch the times of the squads as our timing is already tight and I/we would definitely have to withdraw if "B" was moved to the Sunday afternoon.

The circuit this year has turned into a bit of a circus. I don't know who to hold responsible but I think the TBA have had a big influence on the Seniors programs to the detriment of the first three tournaments of the year. I hope we have learnt from this experience and stick to what we know works in 2014.

Again, it is disappointing the organising committee of this tournament have decided to stay with the London pattern. Is there any link between the decision to stay with the London pattern and why Warren, Darrell and Frank have withdrawn?

Cheers

To all bowlers,
Just to let you all know that I have nothing to do with the running of the CSC this year.
Firstly I would like to thank you the bowlers for supporting me in the past 10 years that the CSC has been running
To all my sponsors that supported the CSC from the start and the ones that have stuck by me in the last few years.They all know who they are,too many to mention individually but I sincerely thank you. Without you there would not have been a CSC.
For the first time some of the ATBSO of ACT committee decided to take over the running of the CSC and I was pushed aside.
So once again to all sponsors and bowlers thank you for making the CSC the great tournament it has been.
Cheers
Ian Swan (Swanny)

Like Robyn and Glenn, I would prefer to keep it at 16 games. 10 games Saturday & 6 Sunday. 5 or 6 bowlers per pair. 30 games pair with no re-oil, makes for an interesting Saturday.

David,

With 48 & 60 in A & B squads, weren't we going to be using all 24 lanes. With 23 & 24 out of action now why are we looking at leaving another 2 lanes for breakdowns now.

If you used all 22 remaining lanes @ 5 per pair for both squads. 55 bowlers per squad. Would add approx 50 minutes to 1st squad Sunday, and start 30 minutes earlier Sunday than advertised to compensate.
If numbers drop under 100 you can still go back to the original 4 par A squad & 5 pair B squad then.

Hi David

An absolute no to cutting down to 14 games. The entry form states 8 and 8 and changing to 6 on the Sunday will have a detrimental effect on a large number of bowlers.

If you need to take further lanes out of play because you are "expecting" a major breakdown then perhaps this tournament needs to be moved elsewhere or cancelled.

Steven
(Using Susanne's Account)

Hi Ian

The bowlers are not placing the blame on people, including David, who have no control over what is occurring. He is just trying to do the best that he can under the circumstances.

Susanne

I agree with Robyn and Glennell to have 10 games on Saturday and 6 on Suday if we can't have 8/8 games for the two days.

Fely

After giving your ideas some thought I would like to say the following.

I do not agree with changing the amount of games to 14 and personally have always disliked bowling 10 games day one and 6 games day two. I feel that the 6 games on the Sunday disadvantages a lot of bowlers so would prefer the tournament to remain at 8 and 8 which is what has been advertised. I also feel that the 22 lanes should be used with 5 per pair and deal with any breakdowns at the time rather than assuming we will lose a pair altogether.

In general, bowlers plan their travel arrangements to allow for breakdowns and late finishes and I am sure that members will swap squads to accommodate bowlers who have a tight travel schedule.

Regards Susanne

Hi David,

I think you need to keep the tournament at 16 games ( particularly as this is how it has been advertised and accredited by TBA ) and not being an expert at lane configurations, would 9 on Saturday and 7 on Sunday help out with timing, and is it do-able ? Technically, it still should be 8 and 8 as per the accredited form but if changes had to be made, then at least keep the same no of games.

I don't see any reason why 22 cannot be used and if there is a breakdown, let's hope it's not serious.

As for the comments about the conditions, let's not blame TBA for everything because as far as I know the patterns were released to the Toournament Directors of the proposed 3 centres. It was up to those centres to pick ANY WTBA pattern to suit the centre and TBA's only stipulation was that it had to be a WTBA approved pattern. I can understand how some of us ( including myself ) got totally frustrated with ourselves on the previous 2 patterns which were tough, but all I can say about my own game is that I didn't bowl consistently enough particularly with sparing to score better than what I did.

I am having a practice on London today at 4.30pm for 4 - 6 games and I'll see how I go.

Andrew C

I can only speak for myself the main reason i pulled out of Canberra was the pattern this would not suit me,and to pay $500.OO all up is crazy.TBA has a lot to answer for the Tournament Directors are getting a lot of shit when it is not there fault.
Bring on SA Seniors Cup.
Darrell Holt
No Ditch No Daz.

Like Robyn and Glenn, I would prefer to keep it at 16 games. 10 games Saturday & 6 Sunday. 5 or 6 bowlers per pair. 30 games pair with no re-oil, makes for an interesting Saturday.

David,

With 48 & 60 in A & B squads, weren't we going to be using all 24 lanes. With 23 & 24 out of action now why are we looking at leaving another 2 lanes for breakdowns now.

If you used all 22 remaining lanes @ 5 per pair for both squads. 55 bowlers per squad. Would add approx 50 minutes to 1st squad Sunday, and start 30 minutes earlier Sunday than advertised to compensate.
If numbers drop under 100 you can still go back to the original 4 par A squad & 5 pair B squad then.

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your feedback, appreciated as is all the feedback. It's a difficult time but we need to work through it and come to some sort of sensible outcome for all.

Firstly No Re-Oil would have to be for both days not just Saturday. It would save us 1 hr on both days though.

As of my post yesterday 23 & 24 can't be used, they will be out of play.

If we run with the 22 lanes, your idea is great, But we need 6 people happy to swap to A squad from B to have this come to fruition. At present Frosty is struggling to get 1 to swap.
With 10 & 6 it would work close to a 7.30 pm finish on Saturday but Sunday still starting at 7.30 A squad would finish around 3.15-3.30pm

The only reason I came up with taking 1 & 2 out of play was to even up the squads 50/10 pairs & 60/10 pairs otherwise there are 5 or 6 groups in each squad hanging around for 20 mins at the end of every block, like I can just see the outcome of that!!!

16 games looks like it has the early favourites position.

Cheers,
Hollywood.

Back
Top Bottom