can some one please explain

scooba11

can some one please explain why you would play with a lane condition or try and make your own up when kegel has so many on file that have been proven and we all know they work ???

There are times when things like lane topography and surface wear make generic patterns either unuseable or unfair. The caveat is you need someone who knows their stuff when attempting to do so.

can some one please explain why you would play with a lane condition or try and make your own up when kegel has so many on file that have been proven and we all know they work ???

So many ways to answer that but I am guessing this is one of those "more to the story" posts.

Why be limited to just what Kegel has designed if you have the ability to make your own patterns?

Reasonable question. Mostly because it's bloody hard to do. Really fiddly, tbh. I had a look at it a while back and soon realised that you need a smart cookie who really knows how the machine works, how to design patterns and the house they're designing for. Then they need to intimately understand how the surface plays and how the pattern will break down with normal tournament play. It can take months and many attempts to make a really great pattern. A good example would be the masterpiece that Dwayne Price has produced for Bathurst this weekend. He's been working on it for ages.

Then you pray that the weather stays good. Heavy rain and high humidity can bugger the lane wash process! Then it's all over. Any wonder people use Kegel's patterns. Gives you someone to blame!

That said, often a good start is to take the house shot and add a load to the the 2-2 loads on the front to get a half decent house tournament pattern. (What we used to call a house shot.) Unless your surface is toasted from years of no oil outside 10 board. (But nobody would be stupid enough to do that, would they..?) ;)

Only if they've done a lo...tta homework. I've been trying to get my head around this stuff for years now and have *some* understanding of how it works. It's as much science as art with some good local knowledge from previous experiences thrown in for good measure.

And the weather... Never forget the weather...

so a manager that came from a pub that runs a centre SHOULD not make a pattern up then !!!!

And so it is revealed. There is more to the story.

Why not just say what you mean first instead of asking some random questions then coming clean with the full story to start with?

And I disagree anyway. The centre decides on the pattern, not the bowler and there is nothing to say you have to stick to certain patterns just because it is hard to make them.

Back
Top Bottom