Buying Direct from the USA

The way i look at it, if you want a ball, we all are going to look for the cheapest price, generally not include drilling as most people prefer there driller of choice, if people think getting balls from the US is cheaper well in most case they are not cheaper or average around the same price.

for example columbia freeze on bowlingball.com is around $200 delivered to australia, here in australia you can get the ball for $170-180 delivered depending on the state.

so i think if you want a ball look around Australia first, even if it is a old ball you want,you might be surprised what is around, as there are a heap of Columbia,ebonite and track balls sitting in boxes ready for a new owner, i even bought some to use for experiment drilling s,

so basically, look in your own back yard first and help Australian industry, i wouldn't blame proshops for not drilling balls that came from oversea's when you can get the ball here

Dont all bowling balls come from overseas ? The balls the proshops have in stock are made overseas and isnt it because of multiple markups that these balls are the price they are (expensive) !! So you want to pay someone your hard earned money for shopping for you when you could do it yourself or at least get cheaper elsewhere !! Pay for the expert drilling sure but why pay extra because you didnt buy the ball in that proshop.
When you buy your new TV what do you do ? Go to your local guy and pay $$$ or do you shop around for the best price because its your hard earned ? I know what i do.

Dont all bowling balls come from overseas ? The balls the proshops have in stock are made overseas and isnt it because of multiple markups that these balls are the price they are (expensive) !! So you want to pay someone your hard earned money for shopping for you when you could do it yourself or at least get cheaper elsewhere !! Pay for the expert drilling sure but why pay extra because you didnt buy the ball in that proshop.
When you buy your new TV what do you do ? Go to your local guy and pay $$$ or do you shop around for the best price because its your hard earned ? I know what i do.

What do you guys think of this idea..........................

On line shopping is here to stay, no matter where you live. Instead of fighting it, what if a PSO catered to it? What I mean is what if the local shop didn't carry any balls in stock but instead, had a computer in his shop with all of the on line companies saved in favorites so that the customer could come in to the shop and browse all of the available internet sites for bowling balls, pick the site he wanted to buy from, purchase the ball from his chosen site with his credit card, and have it shipped to your shop.

The PSO could charge a nominal fee for the use of the equipment and handling, and drill the ball for the customer when it arrives.

The PSO wouldn't have to carry balls in stock and worry about if they're going to sell or not. His monthly bill to his distributor would be much smaller---less overhead and less inventory.

I don't know how taxes work in Australia, but in the US, I have to charge sales tax on any merchandise that I sell, but not on services performed. If the customer is buying the merchandise on line, I'm no longer responsible for sales tax. Less hassle for me.

The customer is happy because he was able to pick the best possible price from around the world. One stop shopping for him--all in your shop!

Just a thought......................

When I enquired about this sort of thing to my local proshop they made some enquiries, basically the cost of an importers license was too high to make it worth while.

When I enquired about this sort of thing to my local proshop they made some enquiries, basically the cost of an importers license was too high to make it worth while.

the PSO is not importing the goods, the customer is buying direct from the supplier/manufacture with his/her own money. the PSO is only receiving the product.

The PSO could charge a nominal fee for the use of the equipment and handling, and drill the ball for the customer when it arrives.

Sounds great except for the above line.

There is absolutely no need for a middle man when purchasing a bowling ball on line.

Unless the pro shop operator is getting a discount from the ball supplier where as they are able to purchase the ball cheaper than any other on line purchaser and thus make his/her profit using this margin then, the ball purchaser can still save money and purchase the ball cheaper by using their own P.C to source the ball.

With the current ATO stance excluding on line purchasing from the 10% sales tax for individuals with a purchase cost less than $1000, the pro shop operator would have to secure a discount in excess of this 10% before making a profit.
At the end of the day, the concept just wouldn't work.

Basically, the Australian pro-shop operator wanting to continue with ball sales is faced with a shrinking market saturated with competition from local, interstate, national and international sellers. The outlook is bleak at best.
Even the bowling centres themselves provide competition to the pro shop operator by giving away balls to customers who join leagues.

What is needed to survive is some research into marketing, perhaps it may be feasible to treat the ball sale as a "Loss Leader"

Even the bowling centres themselves provide competition to the pro shop operator by giving away balls to customers who join leagues
Yeah but you pay for the ball via increased fees. You just don't notice it as it's a small amount each week. As a point of interest one league I was in did it with shoes instead of balls.

You get what you pay for. I bought a quality German TV (Loewe Xelos) sometime in 2001-2. It was a bit more than a lot of stuff around, but it still has better picture quality than most LCD and plasma screens and is far more efficient in it's energy use. I forget what the price was, so I guess the old maxim is literally true in my case. Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

My point is that I'm still reaping the benefits of the advice of a reputable local HiFi store (Duratone HiFi in Phillip, ACT), rather than deceiving myself that I understood this complex market, which I had researched enough to know I needed to know more. When it was delivered, the lads from the shop unpacked it, installed it with quality cables (included in the price), tuned it and left me with a working unit. When I eventually replace it, it will be with another quality unit from a reputable dealer, as I enjoy this TV every time I watch it. Even when it's switched off, it's a cool piece of furniture. I read an article describing it as a design icon recently. That's nice too. I'm glad I paid a bit more for a quality article with excellent service to boot.

You just don't get that level of service from a web page. And if you buy quality, you don't need to replace it anywhere near as often. I've probably said that before on this thread, though.

What is needed to survive is some research into marketing, perhaps it may be feasible to treat the ball sale as a "Loss Leader"
What do you do for a living? None of us needs to know, I just want you to think about it for a second. Good.

Now... Would you do it if you didn't get paid? Bowling balls don't just materialise in pro-shops. They are selected, ordered, shipped and paid for. I can assure you that at every step of this process, somebody expects to be paid for their efforts, just as you do for yours. As such, bowling balls incur costs of sale, like any other product or service. Do you; does anyone - seriously (as in actually think about it for a second or two) expect pro-shops to get them in as some sort of community service? I'd like to be able to buy cars and houses on that basis, but I live in the real world. And big ticket items are never loss leaders.

You'll be happier in the long run accepting the reality that things cost money, or effort, or something. You get what you pay for.

Yeah but you pay for the ball via increased fees. You just don't notice it as it's a small amount each week. As a point of interest one league I was in did it with shoes instead of balls.

I think we all know that. That doesn't negate the fact and, my point, the bowling centre is providing competition for the independent pro shop operator who is already trying to trade in a saturated and shrinking market.

You get what you pay for. I bought a quality German TV (Loewe Xelos) sometime in 2001-2. It was a bit more than a lot of stuff around, but it still has better picture quality than most LCD and plasma screens and is far more efficient in it's energy use. I forget what the price was, so I guess the old maxim is literally true in my case. Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

My point is that I'm still reaping the benefits of the advice of a reputable local HiFi store (Duratone HiFi in Phillip, ACT), rather than deceiving myself that I understood this complex market, which I had researched enough to know I needed to know more. When it was delivered, the lads from the shop unpacked it, installed it with quality cables (included in the price), tuned it and left me with a working unit. When I eventually replace it, it will be with another quality unit from a reputable dealer, as I enjoy this TV every time I watch it. Even when it's switched off, it's a cool piece of furniture. I read an article describing it as a design icon recently. That's nice too. I'm glad I paid a bit more for a quality article with excellent service to boot.

You just don't get that level of service from a web page. And if you buy quality, you don't need to replace it anywhere near as often. I've probably said that before on this thread, though.

Jason,

I agree with you in the fact that you get what you pay for... But when I can buy Bowling ball "A" online and have it shipped to my doorstep for $200 and buy the same bowling ball from an Australian Pro shop online for $350 undrilled + postage, why is there so much variance. Surely I'm not getting a ball that is any better for my extra $150. Surely it doesn't cost the Pro shop that much more to import bowling balls...

I'll get the customer service when my ball driller talks to me about layouts and an accurately laid out and correctly drilled ball for which I think the majority of bowlers will be more than happy to pay for...

What do you do for a living? None of us needs to know, I just want you to think about it for a second. Good.

Just for the record, Nothing.....I'm semi-retired.

Now... Would you do it if you didn't get paid?

Of course not, that's a silly question.

Bowling balls don't just materialise in pro-shops. They are selected, ordered, shipped and paid for. I can assure you that at every step of this process, somebody expects to be paid for their efforts, just as you do for yours. As such, bowling balls incur costs of sale, like any other product or service.

Agreed. I'm not disputing that point. However, you have highlighted the crux of the problem. It seems to me that the ball manufacturer/wholesaler is selling direct to the final purchaser. Essentially there is no need for a retailer. There is no margin for retail markup for an astute purchaser.

Do you; does anyone - seriously (as in actually think about it for a second or two) expect pro-shops to get them in as some sort of community service?

Another silly question. I don't need the second or two to think about. Of course the answer is no.

There are many advantages to be gained by the retailer in a voracious market by selling an item at cost or below.
Here is just two off the top of my head.

1. You offset your loss by increasing the margin on other items.
2. You increase the possibility of future sales by introducing the customer to products or items that may not be aware that you even carried.

I'd like to be able to buy cars and houses on that basis, but I live in the real world.

This is your lucky day. I can offer you a four bedroom brand new home complete with all the mod cons and a brand new car for $1 below cost, a complete and utter loss for me. You will have to sign a 30 year contract and their will be a few clauses that you must abide with. However, your wish has come true.

And big ticket items are never loss leaders.

Rubbish, I personally know that a large electronic retailer is selling LCD and Plasma T.V's at cost.
1. The stock is getting old and must be moved.
2. They have increased the margin on the HDMI leads and the surge protector boards.
3. They offer several TV cabinets and surround sound systems exclusive to the above mentioned TV's with an increased margin.
4. Worst case scenario for the retailer is they have enticed a customer into their shop and made them aware of other products which may result in future sales of other items.
5. By having courteous, happy staff and selling an item cheap, the retailer creates a positive and uplifting experience for the customer who in turn will tell others of their experience. Thus creating the greatest advertisement that money cannot buy, WORD OF MOUTH.

You'll be happier in the long run accepting the reality that things cost money, or effort, or something. You get what you pay for.

Of course, you get what you paid for. If you want to have a middle man handle your ball purchase, expect to pay for it. I'm not disagreeing. All I'm saying is, you no longer need the pro shop operator involved in the ball sale exercise.

That's not to say it's a good thing. Essentially it's a bad thing, but it's a fact that the pro shop operator is resigned to. And, he must move with the times, makes changes to his business plan to compensate.

Some of these posts are very closed minded. Bowlers aren't going to go to a website and pick a random ball and not know what they are buying. They are going to see someone use one in league, or read reviews on ballreviews.com or watch videos on youtube or on a manufacturers website.

Then they are going to realise that independant places like Buddies, bowlingball.com, brando's pro shop and Ballistic Revs can get the ball for much much cheaper than nearly all the pro shops.'

The question is whether it's cheaper to buy from overseas. The answer is yes. Always yes.

It seems the only people that disagree are ones that own their own proshops and can't match the price that is offered overseas.

All this also begs the question...."What happens when the US economy comes out of the hole its in ,and the Aussie $$ goes back to the 85-93 US cent mark???? "

Will the Aussie suplliers and importers still be around to supply the bowlers needs when buying OS is not as good as it is now.

Personally i agree with DIECAST NUT.....support your local shop and centre where possible.
Online is here to stay ...yes..... how we allow that to effect our local importers and shops is up to us.....the bowlers....

Just my 2 cents.....

All this also begs the question...."What happens when the US economy comes out of the hole its in ,and the Aussie $$ goes back to the 85-93 US cent mark???? "

Changes nothing! The dollar value affects both the individual and the pro shop operator at the same ratio.

Will the Aussie suplliers and importers still be around to supply the bowlers needs when buying OS is not as good as it is now.

I don't think you have a full understanding of how the exchange rate works. Again, the exchange rate affects both the individual purchaser and the pro shop operator on exactly the same level. However ,the individual purchaser has the ability of taking out the middle man and avoiding tax.

Personally i agree with DIECAST NUT.....support your local shop and centre where possible.

Needless to say that your driving an Australian built motor vehicle, your wearing Australian made clothing and all your household furniture is all Australian made, otherwise one may think your hypocritical.

Online is here to stay ...yes..... how we allow that to effect our local importers and shops is up to us.....the bowlers....

I'm all for supporting Australian retailers. As a long time small business owner/ operator I fully understand the pain of the local pro-shop operators. One thing that I have learned in the retail market is that you cannot fight human nature. You must always be monitoring current trends and be prepared to make massive and immediate adjustments to your business plan.

These operators who base their business plan on the old and tired concept that the ball driller must also be the ball seller will either change their business structure or face a painful future.

One only needs to look back at past business that no longer exsist and business concepts that no longer work to realize that!

Some of these posts are very closed minded. Bowlers aren't going to go to a website and pick a random ball and not know what they are buying. They are going to see someone use one in league, or read reviews on ballreviews.com or watch videos on youtube or on a manufacturers website.

Then they are going to realise that independant places like Buddies, bowlingball.com, brando's pro shop and Ballistic Revs can get the ball for much much cheaper than nearly all the pro shops.'

The question is whether it's cheaper to buy from overseas. The answer is yes. Always yes.

It seems the only people that disagree are ones that own their own proshops and can't match the price that is offered overseas.

Not always.

Several customers have brought o/s purchased balls in to be drilled and have been surprised to find they could have bought the ball from me at the same (or even slightly cheaper) price, once fitted and drilled. Some have taken 2-3 weeks to arrive, some have not been the requested pin/top wt combination. Your statement is a sweeping generalisation. I agree that some balls are cheaper and bags/shoes are almost invariably cheaper, but to make the statement you did that it is ALWAYS cheaper to buy overseas is just plain wrong.

Changes nothing! The dollar value affects both the individual and the pro shop operator at the same ratio.

You missed the point ADP was making, he was saying when its more expensive for the individual to buy and ship from overseas where will they turn? As the local pro shops will be gone out of business due to imports while the US $ is good. It has nothing to do with impacting on the same level, its wether the business can survive the drought.

You missed the point ADP was making, he was saying when its more expensive for the individual to buy and ship from overseas where will they turn? As the local pro shops will be gone out of business due to imports while the US $ is good. It has nothing to do with impacting on the same level, its wether the business can survive the drought.

I don't think I missed his point at all. I believe that you maybe a little confused.

When the cost increases for the individual purchaser, the cost will also increase for the Pro shop operator. It's an anologue equation, when the cost moves, it moves equally for both.

The ball purchaser has no need to turn to the Pro shop operator under current taxation laws. Their is no need to add a middle man for an astute purchaser......ever

If you really want to make a difference, lobby your local federal member for a change to current taxation laws

Not always.

Several customers have brought o/s purchased balls in to be drilled and have been surprised to find they could have bought the ball from me at the same (or even slightly cheaper) price, once fitted and drilled. Some have taken 2-3 weeks to arrive, some have not been the requested pin/top wt combination. Your statement is a sweeping generalisation. I agree that some balls are cheaper and bags/shoes are almost invariably cheaper, but to make the statement you did that it is ALWAYS cheaper to buy overseas is just plain wrong.

Well done, Brenton. All very good and valid points to purchase locally

With all due respect im NOT confused at all. You actually said what im talking about. See BOLD

Andrew IS saying that when the Aussie $ is back to a relaistic figure of say 90c, then the individual purchaser will no longer want to look overseas for their gear.

They will then start to look in Australia and at local pro shops, but guess what?? They may be gone due to NO BUSINESS now, while individual purchasers are buying from overseas.

I don't think I missed his point at all. I believe that you maybe a little confused.

When the cost increases for the individual purchaser, the cost will also increase for the Pro shop operator. It's an anologue equation, when the cost moves, it moves equally for both.

The ball purchaser has no need to turn to the Pro shop operator under current taxation laws. Their is no need to add a middle man for an astute purchaser......ever
If you really want to make a difference, lobby your local federal member for a change to current taxation laws

Back
Top Bottom