Brunswick Brunswick BVP Goliath

Freddie

Thanks to Brenton Davy redrilling the damn thing, I finally got to use it this week. I bowl with a fairly high track, mediumish revs, high speed, so I don't move the ball all that much. Ended up getting a Goliath to give me some sort of option on oil. Drilling is similar to 2E on Brunswick's drilling sheet, with an X-hole to keep it legal. Works quite nicely on oil if I remember to slow my shot down a bit, though I've left more 10 pins with the damn thing in the last week than I usually do in a month :D Bowled 569 on Wednesday night on the usual random Salisbury condition, and... 420 tonight on freshly cleaned/oiled lanes at Elizabeth :rolleyes: Will report back after nasty upcoming tournaments (Barossa Cup and Salisbury Under 23 Classic), hopefully with better news.

PS. Brenton bowled a 300 with his Goliath, so it can't be too bad a ball!

Well. I bought it to move a bit on oil so I have an option other than "throw it at the pocket". Ran into some oil over the weekend, played "throw it at the pocket". Same last week in one of my leagues :( I could try another drilling, but I've already tried two without much luck. Pretty much ready to mark this down as an expensive mistake, since it doesn't seem to match up to my style. Will talk to drillerman tomorrow, might be listed in the for sale forum in a few days :)

I found the oil volume a little light on the weekend... could be possible that the ball was losing energy too quickly (being a particle this is quite likely).

If you are looking for a true heavy oil ball you may want to look into the next release from Columbia - the EPX T1.

This is gonna be one mean ball on oil.

You can check it out at www.Columbia300.com

or if you have RealPlayer you can have a look at this promo clip i've just come accross...

http://www.ballreviews.com/Forum/Replies.asp?CategoryID=2&ForumID=3&TopicID=94115&PageNum=1

Good luck :D

I've thrown it up at Village a few times on a Tuesday night, quite new synthetics, cleaned/oiled during the day then oiled again in the evening (AFAIK). My Nemesis just skids the whole way down, and leaves amusing leftover pins for any remotely light hit. The Goliath makes a bit of a move at the end, but quite late, usually just before hitting the pins. It certainly carries better, but still not really what I was after. My poor old Stomp, which will move on lighter stuff, just goes straight.

My scores with the Goliath have been all over the place, and I'm just not impressed with how it goes for me. It seems to work quite well for my brother, but he bowls 3-4km/h slower and with a lot more revs. *shrug*

This post over at ballreviews.com seems to clear up a few of the misconceptions I had. I'm not a big mover of the ball, so I wasn't expecting to play gutter to gutter, but I wasn't quite expecting the reaction the Goliath gives me. I'll talk to the ball driller guys and Mr Coach (eventually) and decide where to go from there.

being a user of the BVP range I no for a fact nothing hooks like the goliath,nemesis or punisher

but I havent yet seen the rampage so I cant make a judgement on it

Jimmy

Seemed to pick up one of the last of these and for now I am pretty happy with it. Had it drilled for the medium rev max hook layout and have not seen the oily conditions reappear that were being used earlier in the year.

As for the reaction or lack there of on the ball in my honest and novice opinion is almost always due to how I release the ball. Seems if I hold the ball in the traditional 12 oclock/6 oclock and release with 9/3 position of the palm i hardly see any spin out of the ball it tends to spin well and then die at the breakpoint and go straight with the lane. This release for me could be useful if i want any corner pins on the right but useless for the drilling.

My other release which starts at 9/3 and finishes at 9/3 but with a lot more lift from my fingers seems to provide a nice smooth arcing motion out of the ball. Easy to throw to towards the right 10 board and watch it run back to the pocket. I can also bowl this ball over the first right arrow standing 5-10 board and watch this pick up 7 pins or gutter.

Before using my less favoured release I hardly saw spin and now that I made my adjustments this is doing what I wanted just wish to see how this handles flooded lanes next time i see them. Even in the dry it tends to move in the same motion no real overreaction then again im not a big turner of the ball and i keep my speed at a medium pace.

Also have noticed this particle ball is like an oil sponge. Soaks it all up as it rips down the lane and it will discolour the ball along the bowling track. Definately want to keep this ball clean and may want to sand it with a scotchbrite pad of similar grit to the original ball surface if you notice any loss of hook. Have noticed too the ball surface is real soft so dont over do any hand sanding.

Out of the box 10 games in bowled 4 200+ games the best being 254 and I must repeat if you don't figure out the right release for the ball forget about getting more then 150s. I have found out it will leave you wondering what they were on about in their ball chart and hook rating and thinking you wasted your money. :confused:

got a goliath last year it worked fine for about 3 months bowling it with almost straight 200s and a nice arc into the pocket now the damn thing won't move i'm not a massive hooker or anything but i struggle to get it to move 7 or 8 boards on fresh oild and my sharp blade moves 10 - 15 at least, i got it for a heavy oil ball and i end up throwing darts with it most of the time on wet lanes , i'm definatly ready to mark this down as a mistake

Back
Top Bottom