British Open Prizefund - Golf

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Makes me wonder why I bowled when I was 6 instead of golfing

“The Open Championship sits at the forefront of world golf and it is appropriate that our prize fund reflects that position in the game,” said The R&A’s Chief Executive, Peter Dawson.

Money is in British Pounds

1 850,000
2 500,000
3 320,000
4 250,000
5 200,000
6 175,000
7 150,000
8 125,000
9 110,000
10 100,000

20 50,000

40 21,000

the cut 70th place 11,000

Last place 156 2,250

Just throwing it out there.. But did anyone happen to think that the politics involved in bowling have somewhat partially caused the state of affairs we are in now? Just seems like people can't get along... I dunno, just how I feel.

The problem with Bowling Prize Money over the years was more to do with Big Business Leaders, Snobbing, Bowling. Take for example the "Bowlers Journal" the oldest Sporting Magazine in the World, they could not get Airline Companies or Car Rental Companies etc, to Advertise, even though events such as the Nationals and the WIBC were the largest Sporting events in the World, Bigger than the World Cup in Soccer and most of those attending used those Companies.

The Elite in Business were Snobs, same thing in Australia. During the interval in One Day Cricket in Australia, channel 9 used to have a Bowling show, they changed that to a Golf Show, which didn't rate as well, Why? Snobs, I remember Ian Chappel used to run the Wide World of Sports on 9 and he didn't consider Bowling to be a Sport, so he would rather have Pig Racing as well as many other Stupid Sports on his Show, probably why it doesn't exist now.

willey

Willey ..

I disagree with your post a lot.

I am just not sure where to start to tear it apart, but from what I can gather, here are your main points.

1. Bowling was bigger than Football (Soccer).

Get off the sauce.

2. The Wide World of Sports no longer exists because they didnt run bowling on their show.

Outlandish ... I cant believe they fell for that one.

3. The Elite in Business were snobs.

Kerry Packer was a lot of things, but I dont think he was a snob. He was just a rich guy who could do whatever he wanted. He played golf, as he saw it was a great place to do business deals. When was the last time someone took a client to a bowling alley to impress them?

Marto.

Sorry Willey

Ian Chappel might of Hosted the wide world of sports, and given his opinion on bowling, But that wouldn't be the reason bowling was taken off the air, There alot more reasons why a show segments get taken off the air whether the host liked it or not......
He would NOT select what's on the show either, A lot more people in higher positions decide what goes to air........
If your going state something make sure the facts are there...

Imported from a different thread - - Same subject - - So long as bowlers all keep pulling in opposite directions, like ants around a bit of meat, we'll stay where we are in the sponsorship stakes.

Yes Geoff. It is right that any organisation is as good or bad as it's membership, by their active interest, their participation, their support, their co-operation, etc., or their lack of those things, and as you point out - one cohesive, united body.
Combine that with the fact that the 'sporting venues' are owned by, and are used for other ( quite legitimate) purposes by third parties, and we've got a very steep hill to climb.
As highlighted by another current discussion here, the other major factor is sponsorship. Sponsorship, in meaningful quantity , is payment for something of value. That thing of value is publicity. The linking of the sponsor's name, products / services to something that is of mass interest. It follows that we have to produce the saleable product first. Sponsors are not Fairy Godmothers or Santa Claus.
Could it be done..Yes. Would it be easy ?? NO, NO, NO!! How long would it take ?? 3 to 5 Years. How?? It would take me pages --- and then probably nobody would listen.

Spanner, they put Pig racing on, not that they didn't put Bowling on, STUPID stuff. Also how many Teams of Women do you think used to Bowl in the WIBC alone, this is totally a Womens event, I'm talking many thousands of 5 Women Teams plus Doubles and Singles, I don't think there are that many Countries competing in the World Cup.

Mega, Wide World of Sports had already disappeared by the time Bowling was being shown during the Cricket, I'm sure Chappell had nothing to do with that. I know Bowling out rated the Golf Show, they eventually put on the Cricket Show instead.

The Facts are, in the US, Bowling on TV out rated ; Golf, Tennis, Football(except the Local College Football), it was on ABC in the US for 40 years, BUT they never got the Sponsors that Golf and the other Sports got, WHY?

willey

The Facts are, in the US, Bowling on TV out rated ; Golf, Tennis, Football(except the Local College Football), it was on ABC in the US for 40 years, BUT they never got the Sponsors that Golf and the other Sports got, WHY?

willey

Willey, I appreciate the question you're asking, but these just aren't the facts, a few Google searches will show that. That said, it doesn't really matter whether the PBA was on ABC for 40 years or 30 years, or whether or not the PBA ever had better ratings than the PGA, NFL of pro. tennis. The fact of the matter is that bowling has an image problem as a mainstream sport, or even a sport period, and just doesn't appeal to major sponsors. This is a well known and well debated issue:
http://supremesportsjustice.0catch.com/danno/pba95.html (warning this site has many annoying pop ups).

The bottom line is simply that the vast majority of people, even bowlers, nowadays (at least in the US) are more interested in watching other pro. sports (see the reference in the link above to that) than bowling, either live or on TV. The PBA and USBC marketing over here has certainly ramped up over the last couple of years and they are trying innovative things like the 6 Flags Event (which I personally don't think does much to present bowling as a sport) and the NBA/PBA event to broaden audience appeal. But more is clearly needed.

While bowling displacing, or even rising to the same status as, any of the major sports is just not likely going to happen, we should definitely aspire to a better image. Realistically, we should be able to gain recognition as a true sport, even a mainstream one, at least displacing things like monster truck racing etc. on TV. With that we can expect to have more sponsors generating bigger pro. event purses and more funding for national teams etc.. Its just going to take much more intense focus from organizations like the PBA, USBC and TBA etc. and much support from bowlers ourselves. IMHO, these organizations need to start collecting and analyzing more data on what bowlers are interested in to make a more compelling case to sponsors on the audience that they have access to in order to have any hope of expanding sponsorship revenue. I don't know about the TBA, but I'm yet to see any significant direct outreach or surveying of the USBC membership in the last 10 years. The US National Bowling Week promotion, while it is missing a golden opportunity to promote the sport rather than the passtime, offers an opportunity to produce data on participation, I just hope that the BPAA, USBC and PBA are working together to put that data to good use.

Cheers,

george stick to poker if you want a big pay day ....

Place Prize (USD) wsop 2010 prizefund

1 - 8,944,138
2 - 5,545,855
3 - 4,129,979
4 - 3,092,497
5 - 2,332,960
6 - 1,772,939
7 - 1,356,708
8 - 1,045,738
9 - 811,823
10 - 635,011
11 - 635,011
12 - 635,011
13 - 500,165
14 - 500,165
15 - 500,165
16 - 396,967
17 - 396,967
18 - 396,967
19 - 317,161
20 - 317,161

for those interested the final nine are below -

1 Jonathan Duhamel 65,975,000
2 John Dolan 46,250,000
3 Joseph Cheong 23,525,000
4 John Racener 19,050,000
5 Matthew Jarvis 16,700,000
6 Filippo Candio 16,400,000
7 Michael Mizrachi 14,450,000
8 Soi Nguyen 9,650,000
9 Jason Senti 7,625,000

final table happens in november

Bowling vs Golf

For Years, the PGA has been much more popular than the PBA in terms of TV ratings. I'm here to ask the question: why?

Bowling is the number one recreational sport in the country. Let's look at numbers posted by USAWeekend.com in a September, 2007 article:

Last year, approximately 45 million Americans went bowling, up 32% over the past 20 years, when 34 million people a year visited bowling alleys, according to the National Sporting Goods Association. Even though more people are bowling now, the biggest rise is among infrequent bowlers, who bowl just two to nine times per year. In 1986, infrequent bowlers made up 27.5% of those who bowled; last year, there were 43.6% infrequent bowlers. There were 2.7 million bowling league members in the United States.

The following information was obtained from a Market Analysis Project done at the University of Oklahoma:

Last year there were 23 million golfers. There are a fairly equal number of males and females that participate in bowling; however, golfers are much more likely to be male. Bowlers are generally younger (especially from 18-24), while golfers are more likely to be older (50+). Golf seems to have grown in popularity over the past several years, while bowling has received very little attention in the media during this same period of time.

That last sentence is so true....but again I ask....why? Is golf that much more of a ratings draw....or is it that no one will give bowling a chance to succeed on TV? In the 70's, before cable TV, everyone flocked to their TV sets to watch the PBA on Saturday afternoons with Chris Schenkel and Nelson Burton Jr. doing the play by play. What happened that bowling suddenly became unpopular while golf seemed to become more popular.... at least on TV? Bowling is on ESPN at 1pm on Sunday afternoons....opposite the mighty NFL. What kind of ratings do you think the PBA gets going up against the NFL? As far as I'm concerned, the PGA has a few notable golfers: Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, and John Daly. Does anyone watch any of the tournaments if those three aren't participating? I doubt it. What does the PGA have (besides those stars) that the PBA doesn't? Perhaps if the world got to know Pete Weber, Walter Ray Williams, and Norm Duke, fans would want to follow their careers as well as those of the PGA golfers. But none of the major networks is willing to give bowling another chance. Again, I will ask....why not?

Professional bowling started to lose viewers as college football started becoming more popular. The fact is that PBA bowling needed to find another time slot so that fans could watch football and bowling. Instead, bowling was pushed aside by the networks and left for dead. ESPN took bowling in, but again, the PBA finds itself up against football again...but now it's the NFL they square off against. That's not a recipe for success.

Let's look at some interesting facts. As mentioned above, 45 million people bowl, while only 23 million people golf each year. But it's golf we see on TV all weekend. Bowling is more popular among younger Americans...the same demographic that advertisers try to reach. Yet it is golf, and not bowling that we see on TV each weekend. Golf costs anywhere from $30-75 a round to play. You can bowl about ten games for the price of one golf round. That's why more people bowl than play golf. You don't have to be rich to go bowling. But it's golf we see on TV all weekend. There are 2.7 bowling league members. Are there even any golf leagues out there? In fact, there are...but nowhere near the number of bowling leagues to participate in. Yet it's golf we see on TV all weekend. In golf, a guy sinks a put, and he gives the obligatory or polite hand wave to the crowd. More often than not, it is ingenuous, and in many cases, the crowd isn't even acknowledged. In bowling, you've got the fist pumping, the loud crowds, and the bowlers actually have and share their personality on the lanes. Bowling, along with tennis and boxing, are the only sports that pit athlete against athlete. Why doesn't bowling appeal to network executives as golf does?.

Unfortunately, until a network or cable station takes a risk, PBA bowling may be stuck, and eventually become extinct. The PBA Public Relations staff has to step up and do more to increase the exposure of bowling. Pulling in new sponsors here and there helps...but simply won't cut it. They need to find a way to work out something with ESPN, so that PBA bowling will be as publicized as the BASS professional fishing has been over the past few years. ESPN sure put much more into promoting fishing than professional bowling. When Sunday's Football Countdown ends at 1pm, and bowling is about to go on the air, Chris Berman usually has a wise-ass crack that almost puts the PBA down. How wrong is that? When is the last time you've seen a bowling highlight on SportsCenter? Bowling is an event that is televised on ESPN, yet the same network won't show highlights or results on their own sports highlight show. I'm sure the PBA was grateful that ESPN took them in when no one else wanted them, but times change, and it's time for the PBA to look for a new TV partner...one that won't mind and in fact, help promote the sport. There was a network out there that took a chance with WWE wrestling, and that seems to have worked out pretty well. Why not take a chance with bowling? And I find it difficult to believe that people across the country would rather watch American Gladiators than a professional bowling tournament.

Unfortunately, it's not just television that has hurt the PBA....it is bowling centers as well. How often have you walked into a bowling alley...and instead of seeing professional bowling on TV, you see a football game or a Nascar race...or worse yet: golf? What's wrong with that picture? Are bowling alleys showing the results from each weekly televised tournament? Are they even promoting the tournaments? The answer to that question is no. More people are buying bowling equipment each year, yet sporting good stores such as Dick's or Sports Authority are catering to golfers, with a quarter of their store being used to sell golfing equipment and clothing. At a local Dick's Sporting Goods store, there was half of one aisle that had bowling shoes and towels, and that was it. Even the local Walmart has stopped selling bowling equipment.

The PBA needs an overhaul from top to bottom. The PBA owners are trying to make the sport work, but they clearly need PR help...and an infusion of cash. That's not an easy accomplishment. Perhaps a Bowling channel would work, just as the Golf Channel has worked out, but no one would dare attempt such a project with bowling. Advertisers may be missing the boat, but we'll never know unless the PBA moves to another TV spot/channel. I believe bowling can once again be as popular on TV as golf. It simply won't be given an opportunity, which is a shame.

Court Adjourned!

Rambo .. I think the reason you have so many young people going bowling is the following ....

1. It's easier. A non bowler can go to a bowl and maybe break 100 ... they wont do that playing 18 holes of golf.
2. It's quicker. 12 minutes v 4 1/2 hours ...
3. It's cheaper in most cases. Most people dont bowl ten games .. they dont have the time ... see point two.

However ...

1. Golf gets you outside ...
2. Golf has golf courses ... all different .. all a new challenge. I can travel to another country for a game on a new course in very different conditions.
3. Golf is steeped in History and Tradition. There are a lot more great players than the few you mentioned. There is also a main US tour, a ladies tour, a seniors tour, a European Tour, a Japanese Tour, an Asian tour and an Australian Tour .. thats just for the pros. There are Amateur events all over every country and open to all.
4. Golf has a "Home" of Golf in St Andrews... I''ve never heard of the Home of bowling ... though I'm sure there are a few places who claim it. St Andrews might be a paddock ... but it's THE paddock.
5. Golfers have golf clubs ... owned by the clubs, for the club. Not proprietors. But if you wanted to charge $2000 just to be a member of a bowling alley for a year (with no chance to win it back ... do you think you'd get many players?
6. You dont need a golf league when there is a comp on at every golf club on most days of the week.

I could go on ... but I'm tired now.

bfcc, POKER is NOT a Sport, I intend writing to my Foxtel supplier and asking them not to put it on a Sports Channel!

The closest thing to Poker would have to be a COMA, just as much action.

willey

Makes me wonder why I bowled when I was 6 instead of golfing

“The Open Championship sits at the forefront of world golf and it is appropriate that our prize fund reflects that position in the game,” said The R&A’s Chief Executive, Peter Dawson.

Money is in British Pounds

1 850,000
2 500,000
3 320,000
4 250,000
5 200,000
6 175,000
7 150,000
8 125,000
9 110,000
10 100,000

20 50,000

40 21,000

the cut 70th place 11,000

Last place 156 2,250

Because much like how you play now, you realised you weren't going to be any good at it lol :p

willey - not sure where in my post i said it was a sport or where in this thread we are talking about sports ? the post is about prizefunds.

Bfcc, yeah Bowling Prizefund as compared to Golf Prizefund, seems to me were talking Sports. George's opening sentence say's " makes me wonder why I bowled when I was six instead of golfing."

willey

Back
Top Bottom