Bowling Shoes Comparison

ozish

Hello All,

My first post :) I would like to get myself a pair of bowling shoes. Both of my mates are using Dexters so I've seen them close up. I was wondering whether there is any site available that compares the different brands, or at least compares the different Dexter models. Why are the old models still being made and in such availability? It seems to me that they must serve different functions but I can't seem to find a simple side-by-side comparison - even on the Dexter site! Thanks for your time.

Marc

Welcome to the forums.

On the Dexters, I've had both SST5 and SST6 and the basic difference I found was the shape. For me, I had SST5's that were two sizes bigger than my SST6's, because the 6 is broader and squarer across the toe, whereas the 5 is your typical long and skinny foot - therefore I needed the bigger fives for width. I actually used to stuff polyfibre fill (like teddy-bear stuffing) into the toes so I wouldn't slide around in them :)

I suspect that's why you can still get the older styles, they're actually a very different shoe in itself.

I highly recommend the SST6 line if you have squared toes or a broad foot

Jeff

OK interesting (just logged back on and saw the responses - thanks). Looks like Dexter's are the most popular (no surprise there), and that they're pretty evenly distributed, with a preferences for the newest 7's.

I guess my question then is, given that you've stated a big difference between the 5's and 6's, what's the difference for the 7's? Do they all use the same interchangeable soles? I wear New Balance in a runner because they're wider so from what you say the 6's sound like the way to go. But am I missing out on anything? The 7's cost quite a bit more over here. Actually everything costs a lot over here! But that's another topic and I'm sure it has been covered well already - off to have a look :)

I wear New Balance runners as well because they're the only ones built in the right proportions for my foot, the SST6's are definitely good for that shape.

As for the 7's, didn't even know there was such a thing - I haven't looked at bowling shoes since I got my 6's a few years ago!

Thanks JW - that's very helpful. Considering how much I can save over the 7's, I'll probably go for the 6's.

I've still got my pair of SST 6's in Burgundy. Bought them back in 03. Very good shoes, they split quickly but glued them up and they're still pretty good. But I think it might be time for some new shoes.

they split quickly but glued them up ...
Split how?

I did find the back of mine ripped after not very long, but I tend to find that with shoes a lot... $25 at the shoe repair man in civic and it's soft smooth leather around the heel now :)

yes i have just acquired a pair of dexter sst7 se's
i used to just bowl with circle rios, but they are definetly the bees knees:thmbup:
bought them from the states, took advantage of the exchange rates ;)
very comfy, and my balance at the line has never been better. im now able to play a very comfortable and accurate shot without worrying about wether im gonna foul or fall on my face :D:D
10 out of ten for me

Back
Top Bottom