bowling on tv

This is going to be a very hard thing to do in this country.

Bowling is not big in this country and isn't going to be any time soon. In the U.S bowling has been around for a long long time, and has a huge following because so many of its population do it. There country has grown up with this sport ours hasn't. Now I for one would love to see bowling on TV but I really think we are pushing it up hill.
Free to air TV only show what people want to see, that way they can charge more for advertising during the popular telecasts. Fact is Bowling isn't that popular as a televised Sport in this country so why would 10,9,7 want to waist 1 or 2 hrs of Air time showing something for a minority group that they couldn't charge top dollar for adverts.
The only way this would happen is if you aired it at 3am in the morning but then again you have to deal with the Religious shows and TV evangelists that time of morning and they are a bigger fan base than ours.

ESPN on Fox don't even show the PBA out here. God knows why but they don't.

I think the key to getting bowling on TV is to build our game as a sport. We need to build its following and Participant base before looking at such a high goal. As we all know league numbers are falling across the board our game sadly in this country is dying a slow death. Organizations such as the TBA and AMF need to get together and see what they can do to help build this great game up. That may mean that both organizations need to put up some cash to get some sort of Major Advertising going that could be in the form of TV. That could be More TV ads or even a show, like having celebrities bowling each other.

Whatever is done I think we need to help build our base first before we move on.

That's my opinion anyway.
Have fun.

Frosty:rolleyes:

Before we go all guns blazing to get bowling on T.V, lets step back and first try to get people into alleys to watch bowling. This then creates puplic interest, then if bowling ever does make it to t.v there is atleast a small fan base out there.

Advertising in the local rag, doing letter drops in the area of the comp a few weeks before the compitition. All of which are inexpensive. Lets try and get people comming to these events before we try and get it onto Television. I am sure it wouldn't be a good image for bowling if we did get bowling on T.V and there wernt even people in the alley watching it.
Hopfully if we can get people into the alleys to watch these compititions then the profile of bowling should (hopfully) rise. As the old saying goes, If you build it they will come.
Just my 2 cents.

Shaun

I agree... We need more spectators to watch the actual sport, and then there will be interest for sports channels to air it... There isn't much of it on foxtel, i would like to see more of it on...but we need more interested people

Fully agree we need more people to watch the events, but lets face some hard truths here.

1) Most bowls are not built to be spectator friendly - half are not even bowler friendly really.
2) Numbers are dying a death, and it is not as slow as every one thinks
3) The sport needs a good kick up the backside from all involved
4) We have a national body, and we need to all work together to get the sport the right track, not just the TBA, but all of us
5) We need to ensure our sport is entertaining to watch - our sport has lost all the characters in the game, due to a number of people feeling that people having fun is no good for tournaments and complaining.
6) To grow the sport you need to promote the sport
7) This can be done by some of the things mentioned, but TV is the best way to grow anything, as it reaches such a large audience, and then you have the Radio as well, but bowling played over the radio - l dont think so
8) If it takes making blocked lanes for better viewing once the camera's are rolling so be it - The PBA do it why not us
9) We the bowlers need to promote the sport ourselves, be proud to say you do Ten Pin Bowling, invite people along, get your work place involved in a competition in-house in which you can all have a team and compete in a round robin event, things like this will bring bowlers back
10) we need to support the events, and offer help when never needed, and do our best to get good events, not just lots of events, but events worthwhile.

Just some thoughts, go ahead and pick the crap out of them does not botehr me in the slightest, but once again another thread that will create some debate with no action sadly.

I was not offering in anyway to take on the idea of the TV event to be clear about that, as l am already under the gun with getting the new Victorian Tournament Circuit under way for 2006.

In the way of the Pay TV stations, l am not sure, the information l suppplied was given to me when l was talking to a bowler involved in an event that did not go ahead. Channel 10 was happy to put the events on but the costs were high due to it would be hard to sell air time for adds, so up went the price. Perhaps the good old ABC or SBS might be cheaper, after all they have a numebr of sports they cover as well.

The $10 idea was just a suggestion, l would be happy to up my $10 without any problems if the events happened.

Shaun24 said:
Lets try and get people comming to these events before we try and get it onto Television. I am sure it wouldn't be a good image for bowling if we did get bowling on T.V and there wernt even people in the alley watching it.

It's amazing what you can do with some tricky camera angles - an empty space can be made to look like Pitt Street in peak hour.

Get the comp to the top 5 final, Use 4 lanes in a centre for the final, 2 for warm up and in ad breaks or whatever else, and 2 for the main competition, cover the other lanes around those two pairs to protect them, and put in some small to medium grandstands with curtains or something from the roof behind them. You instantly create a show feel, and with the spectators that turn up now to tournaments all in that section either side of the lanes and behind, you would have your own bowling arena in a bowling centre. Easy as that. If TBA and AMF wanted to do it they could set it up in a few hours max. Then all you would need would be between 2 and 4 cameras to catch the action. You could even use the projector and screen found in most centres to provide instant replays to spectators - imagine that!

You aren't going to get people off the street that have nothing to do with bowling in to watch tournaments - most people are too lazy to get off their rear to get another beer whilst watching a game of cricket or footy, let alone going outside the house and down the street to watch bowling. You need to get into people's homes to increase bowling's popularity, not the other way around.

So the question is, will TBA and AMF do any of the things suggested, and will they do them this decade? It needs to happen for next year, not in five, ten, fifteen years time. They have started in the right direction with some different formats for the super 6 series, but don't stop there - make it a spectator spectacle! JUST DO IT!

I just want to say something anyone out there who thinks bowling isn't a sport and say they can bowl a 300 (even know they have no evidence) should try and bowl a perfect shot again and again!! I know im not the one this should be coming from because I am only 14 and been bowling for 10 years and my highest is only 244!! Well I think they should bring bowling back on TV if they can have bowls they can have Ten-Pin Bowling!!
From Chooken

Question to all:

Why does it have to be the TBA or AMF that does this?

Is it because we feel only they have the ability or is no one willing to stick thier neck out and say l can do this, and try and get it up and running.

The TBA do not run majority of the tournaments, just the nationals, and international Teams events.

AMF are not the only bowling company in Australia, what about the indepenedents, or the Goldpin Group. Yes AMF is the biggest and should assist, but surely this comes down to 1 person who is willing to organise, promote, arrange the coverage, arrange sponsors, finance, and verything else.

I think there is alot of emphasis that ten pin bowling is more of a 'fun' sport rather than a serious sport... Alot of people believe that its just a sport you can just come down to play with friends rather than looking at the leauges and tournaments that are put on...maybe thats a problem...

JaSe

well if i am correct( i cant remember the exact number of people but this is pretty close) the pba started all those years back with something like 15 or so guys all deciding to chuck in 50 bucks each(which in that time was a huge amount of dosh) and thus the pba tour began. now honestly would it be all that hard for people to chuck in say even 10 dollars towards getting our own tour going? would it not attract sponsors for even more money when they see how dedicated its bowlers are at getting behind the sport and giving it the lending hand it needs? you think about it, even if it was only the memebers of this site, for instance, which is 2,776 that chucked in 10 bucks each(thats only a packet of smokes you give up for one week or maybe two beers) that turns out to be 27,760 dollars.or 2776 people chucking in 20 dollars you get 55,520 dollars. what a massive difference that would make into out tournement circuits. it would attract more sponsors but not only that it would attract more bowlers because for one(and this is the big reason i see) is that nearly everyone would be able to get SOME if not ALL their entry fee back. now i tell you now that most people are happy to go to a tournement and do well personally and also receive the majority of their entry fee back. you'll see those people come back more and more times if it continues. then as that trend keeps going major sponsors and corporate people would go hmmm lets see this is a good investment because look at the coverage its getting from people just turning up simply to bowl.
think about it guys its not that hard. if the pba can get off the ground with only a handful of people chucking in 50 bucks for the time it was when it started, surely people could chuck in 10 to 20 bucks just once so we could get the funds together to build our SPORT back up to its status, get the tournement bowlers coming back in and then getting sponsors joining the party, thus leading to our ultimate goal. getting bowling back on tv.

pick at my post all you like i dont mind at all, its not ment to offend anyone(before anyone thinks thats what im trying to do). but i tell you now i would even chuck in 50 bucks if i knew that other people would do it to make it worth while, because its no point only one person doing it.

think about it. the answers are there. you just got to look and actually want to do something about it. i know im willing to help as much as my resources can allow.

jason griggs

griggsy I would be happy to throw $50 to start our own Tour.:D

The only reason I said the TBA and AMF, is AMF has the monopoly and the resources to make it happen. And the TBA (Supposedly our Governing body) should be having main input for the direction of our sport. They make enough money from lane sanctioning and other things, yet bowling as a whole sees nothing of it. It appears to me it only going to the top small % of national teams. Now what I said maybe incorrect but that’s how it appears to allot of bowlers and if that’s the case the TBA need to educate us in what actually happens. (Anyway Way off topic)
Thats what I think

Frosty:rolleyes:

Perhaps you could even make it a membership fee that you pay each year. Until the events were strong, and sponsored well that it was not required.

Make a an entry fee for members and non members, to support the fees the members had paid out.

Lets see $50 bucks way back when, that would be about $500 now probably. Still if it meant the sport was on TV, sponsors would come on board as soon as that happens, you may even then be able to do a rebate system over several events to those that paid the fees to become members and get it rolling. Reduce entries fees until the funds were returned.

You then need to ensure the prizefunds were good, formats great, turnouts large. All could be achieved.

Qualifying, then matchplay, then finals event. top 4, 2 semi finals, 1 final, or top 5 stepladder final.

Even something different top 9, 3 semi finals, winner from each match proceeds to final.

What about top 6, 2 semifinals, winner from each to final, plus a lucky loser, the person from the other 4 with the highest game.

Just idea's.

a good point raised but think about it with what i said jedi, if we did that dont you think people like amf and tba would come to the part also with some sort of money injection if we all united together to show them that it is worth while. if we did that there is no way people like tba and amf and other people could turn their back and say its not worth it. remember one voice isnt as loud as 2,776.
im not having ago at tba or amf by any stretch of the imagination they just seem to be the common name popping up as examples so im continuing to use them as an EXAMPLE.

the pba only took a handful of people with a shared vision and determination and look at what they have now. the people of this site(2,776 i know is more alot more than 15 or so people but retrospectively is only a handful of people in the scheme of things) could do the same as long as we allstood together. even if it broadened out to people from centres around aus that dont make it to this site. I feel if people helped band together it wouldnt be that hard to achieve. its not unrealistic. we all just have to be willing to play our small part. lots of people playing small parts turn into BIG THINGS.

ok to put it in another light. for those who have austar you all would have seen them advertise their 10th birthday right? what does the ad say? 10 years ago its took on a couple of people with a SHARED VISION and a good concept. they marketed the idea and it grew from only a couple of thousand subscribers to nearly 2 million! ok so in this case the people that started it obviously had a bit more money to invest into it but apply it to our situation and put it into scale. if we did the same thing. got more people and used less money to invest(as i have given you in previous posts) it WILL work. like i said before it isnt as unrealistic as most of us think.

there are already people around with the shared vision of trying to get the sport back up and they are doing such a marvelous job of it. they are all "doing their small part". like graham with this website. where would australian bowling be without it? or mary flower and jeff with their tournement series'. or xpense with the victorian 2006 circuit? all it needs is for people to have the guts and desire to actually help. it doesnt take alot and we arent asking for alot, but all the small parts make huge things happen

This is the kind of idea that creates revolutionary changes.

I am 100% behind this idea. If we could create an australian version of the PBA, it would do wonders for our sport.

if you had a compulsary membership for tour events, or have a membership fee, with a dicounted entry fee for members and a more expensive fee for non members?

Let's say a $150.00 yearly membership fee, with a $200 per event entry fee, and a $250 fee for non members.

With the 2776 members of this forum (taken as a for instance) all become members, gives us a $416,400.00 yearly fund and lets assume we get 60 members and 20 non members (going by the average "major" events we had last year) it would give us $17,000.00 per event, say we start with a 12 stop tour, it gives us $620,400.00 per year to go toward operating costs and prize funds. not too bad if you ask me. that's almost $52,000.00 PER event.

Not a bad starting point, add any sponsorship monies on top of that and it could be a very healthy tour indeed.

of course, I doubt all 2776 members of this forum would join as members, as I'm sure not all the members of this forum are currently tournament bowlers, or we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place, would we?

The PBA currently run on a monthly membership fee system, a full membership costs you US$19.95 a month, equating to US$239.40 per year, with a US$300.00 entry fee for exempt and non-exempt members, and a US$300 entry fee for non-members plus a US$200 if they advance to the round of 64. Plus, if they do advance they must make themselves available for Pro-Am engagements held prior to and during the tournament.

The format for these events are like so.

7 game tour quaifying round for non-exempt bowlers (4 members and 1 non member advance)
Round of 64 - 14 games (cut to 32)
Round of 32 - best 4 of 7 games head to head eliminations (16 winners advance)
Round of 16 - best 4 of 7 games (8 winners advance)
Round of 8 - beat 4 of 7 (4 advance)
TV finals Round
Semi Finals - 2 single game elimination matches (winners advance to Championship round)
Championship Round - Single game elimination (winners crowned champion)

I would love to see tournaments run this way in australia, of course without the exempt part, just have a qualifying round of 14 games with all qualifiers to determine the top 64.

Sadly, we are a long way off that, but working off a scaled down version of that would a a huge step to getting bowling in Australia to the status it deserves.

Ok so what do we call our version of the PBA.

APBT maybe - Australian Profesional Bowlers Tour

maybe just go with APBA - Australian PBA

Lets face it we need to ensure we get the base of bowlers for the events, otherwise nothing can happen.

Foxtel/Austar's vision at least had a pretty good base to target, with every house in Australia being a possible target. When you think about it that way they still only have 2million homes, they need to pick up thier act, not many at all.:D

xpense, I would be more inclined to use APBT than APBA, as that is the Australian Bowling Proprietors Association.....

APBT - Australian Professional Bowlers Tour works for me....

but you're right, it's a double edged sword really, we need support of the bowlers to start it, but we need to put on quality events to get the support... unfortunately someone will need to stick their head out for this one...

Who do we know that is dumb and has lots of money........? :confused: :)

its not a point of who's dumb and has lots of money(though i do know you were only joking with that comment). like i said before about the pba and how it began, it can easily happen the same way if we keep constantly pushing for support from all those involved. if you keep showing you have the dedication there the rest will follow. like i said it only takes 10 bucks per person and big things will happen.

ok ive been giving this some major thought and here's an idea. i thought of one way we might be able to try and get more public to watch these great events of ours a little more. advertise in what's the score what events are coming up. i mean really talk it up. make it seem like its the superbowl of australian bowling. and put the magazine into the major newspapers around australia rather than sending so many to centres because they barely get read at all. it would cost the same amount of money to put them into major newspapers as it would to send them to the bowling centres around aus would it not? its only a thought but its a small stepping stone in the right direction

You're right Griggsy, the main reason bowling is not a popular spectator sport (apart from the fact it isn't taken very seriously as a sport in this country) is that is it way under promoted.

If we could get the promotion into mainstream media, rather than just advertising in bowling centres, we'd be able to generate interest outside of the bowling community, where we need it to grow.

the NSW STBL premier league has taken steps to start that, although it isn't working quite as well as hoped, but is making some good inroads in the right direction.

another reason we do not get great turnouts is that the promotion we do in our own community is almost non existant. the place we should be hammering a passionate message about tournament bowling should in our local centres, a simple pile of flyers on a centre counter won't do much at all. Win-a-spot tournaments and the like are a great way to promote tournaments, and centres that are hosting tournaments should be encouraging local league bowlers to enter tournaments and if they can't, at least come along and spectate by making announcements during/before league, handing flyers to bowlers personally, taking about the tournaments to them and so forth.

Unfortunately, this isn't happening, and probably won't as it seems that centre staff these days don't seem to have a lot of passion for the sport, it's just "where they work".

Not that I am blaming centre staff for bowlings current woes, I mean we as bowlers are as much (if not more-so) to blame as anyone, as we are not supporting the events that are being put on for US.

So it all comes down to one person, YOU, if each individual bowler who is passionate about bowling and would like to see it flourish and prosper in Australia, it's up to YOU to make it happen, get out there and promote the hell out of the sport, the more experienced tournament bowlers in local leagues need to be talking to the non-tounament league bowlers in your leagues and encouraging them to start attending tournaments, if for no other reason but to spectate.

Those of you who feel even more passionate could be organising small tournaments in your local centres, to get tournament bowling happening again, I remember only a few years ago (in sydney) you could bowling in a tournament somewhere or other every weekend for a minimum $500 first prize... but then the prizes should really be the main insentive, as long as it isn't too expensive, and offers decent return for a win.

I realise that putting on tournaments are not easy, especially now with centres preferring to have birthday parties instead, but those of you who are passionate about it enough, will find a way. If you really are as passionate about it as you say.

We have 2 and a half months untill we start a new year, so we have plenty of time to start planning to make 2006 the year bowling turn around and makes a comeback.

Come on people, put your money where your passion is! (to paraphrase..)

Back
Top Bottom