Bowler Sponsorships

Ash

I can't think of a title.
Hi All,
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if any of us out there who have sponsorships would like to impart on just how they managed to get said sponsorships?

There's no need to give the particulars of the sponsorships (as I'm sure legal & personal/privacy reasons forbid) but just quick stories on how you got them,

where you approached? or did you go shopping for a sponsor?

It'd be an interesting insight, as I'm dead keen on this stuff now, as I'm starting to leap into the fray of higher end tournament bowling this year..

Ash

You will find that a majority of the sponsored bowlers have taken the plunge and entered in National Tournaments off their own back and done very well over a period of time (winning tournaments, top 3 finishes etc)

The bowlers would then contact a ball company with their resume and ask for sponsorship. A sponsorship deal doesnt only include how many balls you can get from a company, but often how you can help to increase sales in Australia (in such a small market) and lift their brand profile.

Even if you do perform well, sometimes it takes more than just bowling your odd national tournament, a lot of sponsored bowlers travel overseas and do well over there in order to keep their sponsorships. On trips to the USA especially, they might organise to meet their sponsors so they can watch them bowl, meet them, talk to them etc etc.

Ball company sponsorships are not the easiest to obtain.

Another source of sponsorship are local companies which may be looking for some exposure locally. If you got - for example - a local printing company to sponsor you, as well as wearing their shirts whilst bowling, you might want to look at getting the local paper or news to come down and do a story on you if you are about to travel to the Australian Open (or any other National Event) that way the company gets some exposure for their $$.

What some bowlers also do is get someone to sponsor them their airfares, entry fees & accomodation. Then an agreement is struck to split any winnings after the "sponsorship" is reimbursed. If you do well, then im sure you can be assured of continued support. A couple of bad tournaments and no return might see the sponsor shy away from further support.

I think what it comes down to - if you are serious about it - spend a few dollars and travel to some events (locally first - then think nationally), prove that you can stand on your own two feet and be competitive. Then you have a history you can take to a potential sponsor and say "On my own ive done ABC, with you support I can do XYZ"

Hope this helps

Ash

I have been sponsored for 4 years now, here's what I did (in order of events).

1. Purchase a Track Triton Elite
2. Bowl a 300 with the same ball and win a tournament (Cairns Open)
3. Write to Track in San Antonio and tell them how impressed I was of this ball
4. Only purchase Track products from then on
5. Start writing reviews on each ball, how I drilled them and sent them to San Antonio
6. Also sent results to San Antonio on my tournament performances and applicable National ranking
7. Bowled in a lot more tournaments, at least 20 per year
8. Wrote to San Antonio, not asking for sponsorship but telling them what I could do for them as an Australian Representitive
9. Approx 2 years after step 1, I recieved a free pearl stomp (no contract, just a one off ball)
10. Came 4th in next tournament (Koolfoam) and wrote back thanking them for the ball
11. Remained in constant contact with San Antonio, providing them with tournament results, news and ball reviews.
12. December 2001, signed my first contract for the 2002 season :D

Now step 1 was on the 24th January 1999, Step 12 was 2nd December 2001, Approx 3 years!!!!!

Its not easy obtaining sponsorship, the best way to approach things no matter what sort of sponsorship you obtain is to look at it from the sponsors point of view, what can I do for them?

Good luck with your quest........... and Track has a full quota at the moment, sorry :(

Thanks Muchly for that George, that's pretty much what I was looking for. I'll have to thank you in person when I see you in Bankstown for the Surf's up classic, as I was able to get into squad B this time....

Back
Top Bottom