Pos. Player Country Game 1 Game 2 Game 3
3 Mykhaylo Kalika Ukraine 203 266 185

Final
1 Tommy Jones USA 279 216 236

vs.

2 Jason Belmonte Australia 259 247 259

Great for Belmo, and GREAT for bowling here in Australia !!!

The Aussie ladies have taken that coveted title many times, but first guy to do so .... yeah !!!!

cheers,
lc

CLASH OF THE TITANS IN JOHANNESBURG AS BELMO CLINCHES BOWLING WORLD CUP

The stepladder final of the 47th QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup in Johannesburg was a thrilling, noisy climax to this year’s tournament.

After emerging from qualifying and quarter final rounds in which four of the top eight male bowlers posted perfect games, Ukraine’s Mykhalo Kalika faced in-form Aussie, Jason Belmonte in the first match of the best-of-three game semi-final.

Multi award-winning Jason Belmonte took the first game with a conservative 237-203 scoreline, but 23 year-old Kalika rallied in the second 266-248 to set up an edge-of-the-seat decider. Kalika’s open frames in 2 and 6 allowed Belmonte to cruise to a 266-185 semis win, and a very short break to prepare for the highly anticipated Belmonte-Jones Final.

The buzz in the 24-lane Let’s Go Bowling Northcliff centre reached fever pitch as Belmo stepped onto the lanes at the start of the televised Final. Belmo’s opponent, American Tommy Jones, is a fellow exempt bowler on the PBA pro tour in the United States and the match was seen as a clash of the titans in what’s billed at the world’s largest international sports event. Players representing 83 countries competed in this year’s Bowling World Cup in South Africa.

Jones posted a near-flawless 279-259 win in the first of the best-of-three game Final. Spurred on by the noisy crowd, Belmonte countered in the second with a 247-216 win to set the stage for an enthralling finale. Belmo began with a four-bagger, and undaunted by a spare in his first frame, Jones then matched with strikes till the turning point in frame 8 when he left a solid 10 pin and Belmo hammered on to a 259-236 win, and his first Bowling World Cup title.

In the opening match of the Women’s division earlier in the day, Sweden’s Sandra Andersson came out of the blocks with a decisive 267-217 win against 2006 World Cup champion Diandra Asbaty from the United States. However, Asbaty fought back in the second and deciding third game with 247-219 and 279-243 wins to sweep into the Final against reigning champion, Aumi Guerra from the Dominican Republic.

34 year-old Guerra had dominated the women’s qualifying rounds and began the Final match strongly, overpowering Asbaty 266-201 in Game 1. Again, however, Asbaty fought back to win the second game 227-214 and it came down to a cliff-hanger 202-199 third game that delivered Guerra the honour of two consecutive Bowling World Cup titles. Only one female bowler has previously won back to back World Cup titles – Australia’s Jeanette Baker, who took the coveted twin titles in 1982 and 1983.

QubicaAMF Worldwide is the founder, organiser and principal sponsor of the Bowling World Cup. Additional information on the QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup, including archives and full scores of the 2012 tournament can be found on Bowling Equipment - Bowling Products - Bowling Companies - Bowling Investment - QubicaAMF.

Jason Belmonte will return to Sydney on Friday, and back to his home and family in Orange for a well-earned rest over Christmas, after a series of stunning tournament successes stretching from Las Vegas to Johannesburg in recent weeks.

endslc

Well Done Belmo,

I am really proud of your effort not only in this event but for putting Australian Bowling on the map internationally.

Well done and thank you for your hard work, its a joy to watch.

VIVA BELMO!

My heartfelt congratulations go out to you Jason. Not only the first Australian to take the Men's title, but to beat TJ for it would once (not so long ago) have been unimaginable.

Another boundary broken, another record made.

Take a well earned bow and rest up. I suspect it'll be a pretty good Christmas at Casa Belmonte! :)

Cheers,
Jason

I always thought this guy could bowl. Well done mate, great effort.You have really put Australin bowling on the map. Very proud of you.
Cheers Lovey

Well done Champ, they made you work for it, makes it all the sweeter. First Aussie male-Bloody marvellous.
Would love to have seen your Dad's reaction on that last ball !!

What else is there to win? Amazing effort! A great ambassador for the sport; globally and also in Australia. Congrats Belmo.

A truly amazing accomplishment and a historic day in Australian Tenpin bowling. Jason's last 6 months have been a dream, lets hope this amazing form continues into 2012.

Everyone at Storm/Roto are proud of our No.1 staffer...

Have a well earned break mate and we'll talk soon no doubt

Probably worth pointing out that Jason has been runner-up in this event previously, which no doubt makes the victory even sweeter. There's a poetic symmetry to the two stories as he was beaten by the US's Bill Hoffmann last time around. Classic Greek mythology stuff, where our hero has to suffer defeat before savouring victory!

News of this win has made my day better, that's for sure. I'll go out on a limb and say it's made Jason's day pretty good too! :)

Well done Belmo - A true Aussie champ

Whats more amazing (not really more but still great) is they played it on channel 7 News report on actual TV :D

Nothing really left to say except "Ditto" Fanbloodytastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done Belmo - A true Aussie champ

Whats more amazing (not really more but still great) is they played it on channel 7 News report on actual TV :D

Alright Lynne, 'fess up now, did you have anything to do with this ??

Congratulations Jason ... this is what I meant well done. Take a short break and stay grounded there is still many more wins to come.

;) ... yes, guilty as charged ... and thrilled with the media coverage that it's generated - not just the Sunrise show, and morning news but also this evening's bulletin of Channel 7 Sports News just half an hour ago.

Seeing and hearing bowling on TV, radio, blogs and websites all day made staying up till 3am this morning worthwhile :)

Needless to say I've been following up media for the entire day and confident there's more to come - I'll give whatever warning I can but almost impossible to know when stories will be published or go to air until there's feedback here, etc.

Naturally, the Central Western Daily is doing a big feature tomorrow and Prime TV Orange is televising a segment tonight - and there's sure to be more when Belmo gets home.

Other coverage that I know of is an interview that will go to air either Saturday or Sunday this weekend with Simone Thurtell, presenter of GRANDSTAND ACTIVE on ABC Radio, and Jason is booked for a live TV interview on Fox Sports LONG LUNCH between midday and 1pm this Saturday, 10 December too.

SEN SPORTS Radio are trying to schedule an interview with their Breakfast team early next week.

Several other segments 'in the wings' but obviously need to give Jason time to have some rest, and precious family time on his return.

Wherever possible, I'll post advance warning of segments that I know are coming up.

Meantime, it was also a great opportunity to let the office of the Sports Minister know that an Australian bowler has put the sport on the world map again, and Sen Arbib's Chief of Staff has all the details to pass on to the Minister.

I also heard via one of the media people I talked to this morning that they had received a tweet from the Chief of Staff of NSW Premier, Barry O'Farrell along the lines of ... 'we've got a World champion' and reminiscing about 'when bowling used to be the lunchtime break on Channel 9 ... wishing it still was, etc' ....

DON'T WE ALL !!!

cheers,
lc

Lynne, I knew it !! There's more than one champion to be appreciated and congratulated here.

Congrats Belmo.......AND Lynne.

For those of you who don't know, ( and that's probably almost everyone ),.starting back in the ATBC days, most of the good Main Stream Media coverage of our sport, one way or another, has been because of the dedication and professionalism of Lynne Clay.

Lynne - Ypu're a champion too.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom