Belmo joins Team Turbo

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels
Turbo 2-N-1 Adds International Stars to Players Staff

Zulkifli, Guerrero, and Belmonte will represent Turbo during 2008-09 season

Turbo 2-N-1 Grips is proud to announce the addition of three of bowling's best international stars to Team Turbo. Joining the staff that already includes great champions like Mika Koivuneimi, Tommy Jones, Carolyn Dorin-Ballard, Del Ballard, Jason Couch, Diandra Asbaty, and many more, are

Columbia's Clara Guerrero, Malaysia's Shalin Zulkifli, and Austrailia's Jason Belmonte.

All three of these sensational world champions can be seen during the 2008-09 Professional Bowlers Association Tour which gets underway October 19 with the PBA World Championship in Wichita, Kansas. They will be in the field of over 200 players competing in this opening major championship, the first of 18 events with finals televised on ESPN this season.

Guerrero and Zulkifli will also be among the 16 women competing in the 2008-09 PBA Women's Series, which kicks off October 29 in Omaha, Nebraska; the first of seven Women's Series events scheduled this year.

Guerrero, from Armenia, Columbia, was an All-American member of the Collegiate National Champions in 2005 when she attended Wichita State University. She was also the 2000 World Amateur Bowler of the Year, won the 2005 World Ranking Masters, and finished second in the 2000 AMF World Cup.

"Bowling with and against the best bowlers in the world is an honor for me, and I am very excited to do it as part of the Turbo 2-N-1 Grips staff," said Guerrero. "I have spent the past several months training long and hard in preparation for the PBA Women's Series, and being on the Turbo Team gives me the additional boost in confidence I need to be successful. I plan to help keep Turbo's winning streak alive in the Women's Series."

Shalin Zulkifli will spend the holiday break after the fifth event in the Women's Series getting married December 28 in her hometown of Petaling Jaya, Malaysia. She and her fiancée, fellow Malaysian National Team member Azidi Ameran, are planning a "small wedding" with only 500-600 guests. "In Malaysia, we have a lot of people at weddings," she said.

Zulkifli is a five-time Malaysian National Champion. Now 30, she won her first at 14 to become the youngest ever. She now owns 30 international titles, and earned the title of Malayasian Sports Woman of the Year five times. As a super-star of Malaysian sports, she was chosen to carry the Olympic torch in Malaysia prior to the start of the 2008 Olympic Games.

"I am very happy to be a part of the Turbo family again," said Zulkifli. "I have always been very happy and satisfied with their exceptional products, and I feel privileged to be a part of such a phenomenal team. Being in the Women's Series has been a dream, plus it is such an achievement and recognition for my country. I know it will be a great learning experience for me, and I am very excited about it."

Belmonte, from Orange, Austrailia, burst onto the world bowling stage when he won three gold medals in the 2004 Asian Youth FIQ Championships in Hong Kong, then followed up with two more gold medals in the Singles and All-Events at the World Youth FIQ event in Guam. Those sensational performances earned him 2004 World Bowler of the Year honors.

In April 2007, "Belmo" captured the World Tenpin Masters with an incredible 566-524 victory over England's Paul Mohr in the title match, which included games of 300-266. In the semi-final of that event, he defeated PBA Bowler of the Year Chris Barnes 523-490.

This year, the affable Aussie spent time at the United States Bowling Congress Testing Lab where his unique and powerful two-handed delivery was studied for inclusion in USBC coaching programs. He has also been named an official USBC Ambassador and Spokesman.

In July, he was a member of the winning ‘Carmen's Cartel' team in the PBA Summer Team Shootout. Belmonte bowled with captain Carmen Salvino, and PBA champions Mika Koivuniemi, Walter Ray Williams Jr, Wes Mallot, Sean Rash and Michael Fagan to win the $100,000 team title.

"I am extremely excited to team up with the best grip company in the world," said Belmonte. "Turbo products are second to none, and give me the extra confidence I need to take on the big boys on tour. To bowl against the players I have looked up to my whole life will be the biggest challenge in my career. It's going to be a steep learning curve, so I hope I'm a fast learner. No matter the outcome, I'll be happy to have just swung the bat and had a go."

"Turbo is known to employ only an elite and select group of player representatives that exemplify the core values of our brand and corporate structure," said Lori Tessmar, President of Turbo Marketing and Sales. " We don't boast to have the most; only the best, and Jason, Clara and Shalin are shining examples of our commitment to excellence, not only at home, but in markets around the globe."

Since its beginnings in 1990, Turbo 2-N-1 Grips has grown to become one of the best and most innovative companies in the industry. Turbo is respected worldwide as a company that is totally committed to giving back to the global community, and improving the sport on all levels with top quality grip and accessory products, and exceptional service to distributors, pro shops, and bowlers everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom