Votes: 65 22.6%

Votes: 16 5.6%

Votes: 4 1.4%

Votes: 1 0.3%

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Under 10

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters
is there a better ball for bowling straight but is harder so it will carry more?
(went social bowling 3 weeks ago for the first time, purchased my own ball and gear 2 weeks ago, played my first league game last tuesday, bowled 72 and 119 in the league games, today in practice bowled 168,154 and 141)

Nice going in the practice games. Looks like you are getting the accuracy part of your game down nicely. Carry that over into league and your average will continue to improve.
Nearly any ball will have more carry potential than a plastic ball. Technology has overwhelmed the sport with choices and without seeing you bowl, it's difficult to recommend something suited to your game. I would suggest talking to a pro shop operator and/or some of the better bowlers in your centre about equipment choices and get them to watch you throw a few shots. Personally I would recommend an entry level to mid range reactive ball with a fairly stable drill pattern, but again, without having seen you bowl, it's tough. Emphasis should still be on consistency and accuracy if you really want to improve.

Good Luck
Jan

Thanks
I'm learning to be consistant and think I need to stick with a ball that stays straightand think I should stay that way until I can get all my arrows all the time.

Does a reactive ball turn if it is drilled to go straight? I was under the impressions a reactive ball allways turns (hooks) just more so if drilled that way

Iwas Bowling with 14lbs throu to Arm Injury But the last 2 Months all ok and I went to 15lbs

Thanks
I'm learning to be consistant and think I need to stick with a ball that stays straightand think I should stay that way until I can get all my arrows all the time.
Does a reactive ball turn if it is drilled to go straight? I was under the impressions a reactive ball allways turns (hooks) just more so if drilled that way
Hook is a function of your hand motion times the (ball friction+drill layout+blah, blah, blah...)

As an equation, that could be expressed as hand x ball = hook.

The reactive ball turns if your hand turns it. Balls drilled to "go straight" just go a bit further down the lane and don't hook as much on the backend. This is stuff for you down the track as you improve. However, if your hand doesn't make the ball move much, then most drill patterns and balls won't make a big difference, because (go back to the equation) if your hand is represented by a small number, then regardless of the ball number, the hook number won't vary much. As Jan (dunryc) advised earlier, work on the fundamentals now and you will do much better in the long run. Don't jump straight to a superball. They make people lazy and inhibit their long-term progress. I've seen it time and again.

Cheers,
Jason

Hook is a function of your hand motion times the (ball friction+drill layout+blah, blah, blah...)

As an equation, that could be expressed as hand x ball = hook.

The reactive ball turns if your hand turns it. Balls drilled to "go straight" just go a bit further down the lane and don't hook as much on the backend. This is stuff for you down the track as you improve. However, if your hand doesn't make the ball move much, then most drill patterns and balls won't make a big difference, because (go back to the equation) if your hand is represented by a small number, then regardless of the ball number, the hook number won't vary much. As Jan (dunryc) advised earlier, work on the fundamentals now and you will do much better in the long run. Don't jump straight to a superball. They make people lazy and inhibit their long-term progress. I've seen it time and again.

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks
I am sticking to the white dot at the momment and will update to a reactive ball later, after I have mastered the basics

im currently 16lb but will be changing to 15ld want to get more revs on the ball

Been using 14lb for awhile dont think i will move up anymore 14 is pretty good for me and if i went down it'd be too light after using the 14 for so long

It's #16 forme. I have tried to stpe down to a mid #15 ball but I found myself over throwing the ball all the time. I have thrown #16 for the past 35 years and it's a difficult thing to step down and try to adjust your ball speed and keep you foot work in time with your armswing.

Back
Top Bottom