Ball reviews

PoITeR

Bowl-A-Holic
I love reading different ball reviews, sometimes it is very funny when top bowlers say they do this and that, but does not help the normal bowler.

Have not actually found someone who can tell you about a ball when they have seen you bowl, yes there are coaches out there that can, but that costs money

this is bull, we have bowlers from over over australia,

this has 36 views but no discussions, what no one has any idea, including some of the top bowlers who work with the ball companies. wake up australia.

Maybe if you had asked a question or made it clear exactly what you were hoping to see in response, you might get someone to post. I for one, read what you wrote and still can't work out what you'd hoped would happen in response.

The humble ball review is like a food/wine critic review - it depends on the reviewer in question.

I have tried in the past to make head or tail from numerous review sites but found that almost all products have conflicting statements. This is not to mention the detail (or lack of...) that goes into each review.

In short, go to someone LOCAL who really knows your game, and you will have a better strike rate (boom, tish :D) than on a review site.

For the first time in history, I agree with Wayne...

What the hell are you actually asking?

Are you stating some jargon used in reviews you don't understand?

What the hell am i on about lets see, Matt rielly, jason doust and other talk about there new ball, Most get given to them because they are top bowlers.

They talk about what the ball does when they bowl it, I have not see anywhere on here a bowler go well i drilled this ball this waqy, and then drilled another way.

Maybe i am a stupid idiot but when you talk about a ball because you think it is the best thing going cause you gopt it for free and then with in a few weeks get another one how do the ave guy know what is best.

we have balls that range anywhere from 200 to about 500 dollars. but besides Jason and these 650 storm coaching stuff there is stuff all for the ave bowler

I'm still not sure I got that, but I would recommend the average bowler goes to somebody familiar who is knowledgeable in such matters and says something like;
Average Bowler said:
Hey, Pro Shop guy, I'm looking for a new ball.
to which said Pro Shop Guy should respond by inquiring as to the new balls purpose, something like;
Pro Shop Guy said:
Sure, what do you want it to do?
Average Bowler said:
I'm finding I can't get my current ball to turn enough in <specific circumstance>, can I get something with more hook?
Our illustrious Pro Shop Guy should then ask a few questions about conditions, preferences, and shot style (if they're not familiar). From this information, they go and talk you through the options that they've got, hopefully they'll tell you what the theory is they're working on, why they think that will be best for you, and then voila, they recommend a ball.

I used to work in a computer shop many years ago. People rarely came in and told me exactly what they wanted, I usually got "I want to buy a computer, please", or "I need a new MODEM". Only enthusiasts or wannabe's ever came in with specifics, and as the expert selling the products I'd tell them if I thought that their request wasn't going to meet their goal, and that was most of the time. So I asked questions and made a recommendation that suited their unique requirements

So the moral of my story is, you need to talk to a knowledgeable and experienced professional (specialty pro-shop operator or one of the big brand staffers), and describe what you're looking for. There will never be a generic comparison of balls, because the value depends on the bowler and their ability. Unless every manufacturer agreed on a standard test pattern (always tested a new ball with the same shot, the same drilling, and the exact same delivery) you never get a baseline.

Thanks Jeff ! most xcellent answer and very helpful to us one league a week
bowlers ; and those who maybe just starting out. Ive been bowling for a few years now but because of various reasons never been able to get into it in big financial way so i used affordable equipment ,now can maybe update i have little or no idea what 50% of
information on bowling balls means!! so thanks again......thomstar

hey J

Listen no disrespect in anyway, i toatally agree with what you are saying, especially with balls, but in new south walse, there is not a proshop in every centre. Bowlers basement run 3 of them i think, they run fairfield with mat sing and macarfther with andrew plus penrith. At castle hil you have pupa bruno. now every talking to the proshop guys, most of them are only after one thing and that is selling the ball.

I bought i ball from John loe at chester hill several years ago, first couple of time it turned like a frieght train, then all of a sudden it was a straight ball. some of the proshop guys dont care.

What i guess i am getting at is how about so wording on mid range balls, talk about if they suit more cranker or long and in bowlers.

Ah, if you can't get to a trusty proshop, I still recommend talking it through with someone, because it's so specific to people. Personally, the purple 3D hammer (about ten years old now) is one of the best balls I've ever come across, it suits my requirement. I'm sure I won't have too many people agree with me though :p

Call Audrey, tell her what you want to achieve and in my experience she's been quite good with helping to make the right choice (within her range, of course). If you talk to someone with a wide range such as Bowlers Basement or Max @ BBA, they should be less inclined to just "sell you anything" and care a bit more, because 1. You'll come back next time and 2. It's not that important to them if they sell A or B.

Just to note, Papa Bruno is very helpful. He knowswhat I'm looking for and always asks what I want to do with it. I drive from near Sydney Airport to Castle Hill to get my gear done! He's worth the trip! I've never left his shop without something new in hand! Best thing about Bruno is, he's a Brunswick Supplier! :p

now every talking to the proshop guys, most of them are only after one thing and that is selling the ball.

Aren't you after a ball? Is this what the topic is about? I still haven't actually picked up the actual question thats been asked...

Of course a ProShop is going to sell you a ball if you come in and are looking to purchase a ball. I've dealt with Andrew Cherrett on many an occasion, and I am sure he is more than happy to watch you bowl and make a suggestion based on how you 'roll' and the conditions you are looking to cover.

hey tonx

yes andrew is not to bad, but again he works for bowlers basement, he has watch me ball a complete league and each time there was no talk about which ball would suit my bowling.

I guess what i am really getting at is yes there are great balls out there, but most of them are after the money not after helping the bowler get the right ball for the person.

Maybe i am going the wrong way about all this, but i have found especially in sydney that proshops( what little there is) are conected to most of the bowling site and only care about the sale not the fact of getting the bowler coming back.

As they say good service can get more buisness, bad service and you loose more.

On the other subject what i would like is more opinions on mid range balls, or more to the point of balls that can be afforded by the average bowler

On the other subject what i would like is more opinions on mid range balls, or more to the point of balls that can be afforded by the average bowler

Go buy a Track Temper!! unbelievable ball for the price! great value at under $200 at any good pro shop. I have reviewed it so feel free to go and have a read... i even put a few photo's of it up also.

OK PoITeR,
I think I'm getting you drift now.

I see in your profile that you are in the liquor business. If I came to you and asked you to recommend a brand of Scotch Whiskey, would you just pick out the most expensive bottle, a single malt, double malt blend etc, or would you ask me about my aroma, and taste preferences first before selecting the "right' brand for my requirements?..Well your pro shop needs imput from you before they can make a ball recommendation

What you need to do, is to go into one of the recommended pro shops and ask the operator to have a look at your bowling game. Then after this happens, you should explain to the operator exactly what it is that you like to see your ball do downlane. Do you want to see it roll up early and set? explode around the corner? or maybe just gradually arc towards the pocket?..It's up to you to provide this background info to the pro shop operator before they can select a ball which fits both your style and "look"

Hi Peter,

I have watched you bowl on many occasions & suggested many different things for you. I have let you use my bowling balls for an indication of what to expect from different equipment & drillings.

If you would to talk about equipment and drilling layouts for your bowling style, please come in and see me or call me. It is our policy to give the bowler the best possible equipment for their game, if it’s a cheaper product or a refinement of your existing equipment, so be it.

A happy & satisfied customer is a long term customer.

In NSW there are several proshops you can visit, if you would like different opinions or suggestions.

I’m positive that all of these people would be willing to help you out.
Bruno –Castle Hill
Cheryl – North Strathfield
John Ford – I think also at North Strathfield
Bob – Southgate & Strikezone
Matt – Fairfield
John Leo – Not sure at the moment
Me – Macarthur
And a few others, but I can not think of them at the moment.

Good luck

Hi Peter,
I have watched you bowl on many occasions & suggested many different things for you. I have let you use my bowling balls for an indication of what to expect from different equipment & drillings.

That looks like Andrew has gone beyond the call of a normal proshop, and actually let you use his gear to get a feel for it. Using the scenario like Waynes, he has allowed you into his personal liquor cabinet for a taste test.

Looks like great customer service to me.....

Peter,

Reading this thread has made me think that your next point of call is AA…

I recon you’re stuck in that personal liquor cabinet and for more than just a taste test…

I met Andrew at the Gold Coast tournament in February for the first time, and can assure you that he would have already gone outside the boundaries of most to help you get what you’re after in a bowling ball…

Now reading his thread that just reassures my opinion of him as a GREAT Proshop owner and Person that he is…

Here is my advice, find a ball or balls you like…lay them out…drill them…and write your own ball reviews…

I have found a few times I have had balls laid out and didn’t quite like them, unfortunately that’s bowling and that comes with the game…In saying that I have had allot that I have really liked…

If you have a ball or layout that you already like and it’s getting old, do some research on the net (rather then set up bloody V-Bookies) and find something with similar specs and lay it out the same way…

That’s my advice, good luck with it…

What the hell am i on about lets see, Matt rielly, jason doust and other talk about there new ball, Most get given to them because they are top bowlers.
They talk about what the ball does when they bowl it, I have not see anywhere on here a bowler go well i drilled this ball this waqy, and then drilled another way.
Maybe i am a stupid idiot but when you talk about a ball because you think it is the best thing going cause you gopt it for free and then with in a few weeks get another one how do the ave guy know what is best.
we have balls that range anywhere from 200 to about 500 dollars. but besides Jason and these 650 storm coaching stuff there is stuff all for the ave bowler
Peter,

I review balls because I want to share what I see with the community as not everyone has the same access to equipment that I have. But I'll tell you something for nothing. I don't get a new ball every couple of weeks. I think you'd be genuinely shocked if I were to disclose the details of my deal. (Which I am not about to do.)

Obviously most sponsored players reviewing balls don't throw the ball like the average bowler. If they did, they wouldn't be as good as they are and therefore wouldn't be sponsored players. I provide information about how I throw the ball to allow others to make their decisions based on how they throw the ball. I make a deliberate effort to keep this information comprehensible. I could write "Goes long, hits hard, great ball", but this is utterly useless information.

There are 4 factors I review in turn regarding ball reaction.
  • Head clearance - how fast/slow is the ball reaction in the heads?
  • Midlane reaction - how smooth/angular is the midlane reaction - does the ball jump off the spot or make a smooth move from going right to straightening up?
  • Backend reaction - how strong is the leftward motion after the ball straightens up?
  • Pin Carry - Strong hit or soft hit? Does the ball throw the pins in the air or keep them low?

Other notes are made as I see fit. The four reaction factors I write about will work for me or anyone. It's simply a question of applying this information thoughtfully and accepting that different factors of skid, hook and roll will obviously be encountered. Asking a few "What if..." questions will provide reasonable answers. If a reader doesn't understand something in the review, they can ask via PM or just Google it and study a bit. Knowledge is cheap these days.

Alternately, ask the reviewer a specific question in their thread instead of moaning about them elsewhere.

And yes, coaches cost money. They provide a legitimate service and need to eat too. Unfortunately bowling centres try to give away plenty of free hook and carry to compensate for people too short sighted to invest in learning good technique. The price of one ball can buy some serious coaching and some excellent books, but you have to work had to get the advantage out of it. Consider it. When you want something for nothing, that's often the value of the thing you get. Full marks to Andrew Cherrett for being so patient.

Jason Doust
Proud Member of Team Storm Australia
Speaking Personally

What you can do with someone like Mr Doust's reviews though, is compare them with other reviews by same Mr Doust - granted his version of goes long might not be the same as yours, but when he says A is longer than B, that will be true regardless because the same benchmark was used.

Back
Top Bottom