Australian Open 2003

Graham

Staff member
Ok .. heres a little update .. the full details will be released tomorrow.

The tournament is being bowled over 3 days only .. Sat 19th, Sun 20th and Mon 21st.

Qualifying is over 16 games (8 Saturday, 8 Sunday) with 2 squads A & B. A bowls first Saturday, B second and it is swapped around on Sunday. The top 16 bowl 15 games Matchplay. That's it. No 6 games or anything like that.

$250 entry fee .. $3000 first place, $600 for 16th, $400 for 17th, $150 for 40th based on 90 entries.

For those interested, it is my understanding the Australian FIQ roll offs are not being conducted inconjunction with this event, nor with any other Super Six event.

Full details will be out tomorrow, and it looks like their will be entry forms at the SA CUP this weekend, and they will be sent out to those on the mailing list next week. If you want to be on the AMF Entry form mailing list please send an email to [email protected] and give your name and mailing address and ask to be added to the Entry form mailing list.

AO 2003 Entry Forms

Is it possible that there maybe entry forms at the Latrobe Valley Youth Cup this weekend coz i know for a fact that there will be a lot of interested youth bowlers who would want to bowl in this years AO.
Also if entries will be out this weekend will they be available at bowling centres next week (especially Sunshine)
Thanks
Kelvin

Will be a tight squeeze for the weekend as they will be only be delivered from the printers on Friday .. the only reason they are getting to Adelaide is cause I will be carrying them onto the plane myself ..

Yes I would dare say they will be - all going to plan - sent to all centres (including Sunshine) by the end of next week.

This has also been posted to the Tournament Entry Forms forum .... Constructive comments are welcome (good and bad).. just reply to this post.

ausopen.gif

2003 AUSTRALIAN OPEN

AMF SUPER SIX #2
APRIL 19TH, 20TH & 21ST
AMF SUNSHINE BOWL
523 BALLARAT ROAD, SUNSHINE

Welcome to the 2003 Australian Open.

AMF is proud to present the second event on the 2003 AMF Super 6 Circuit.

This event sees some changes made to try and improve the number of competitors at each event. With first place at $3000, a reduced entry fee of only $250, a more even spread of payout in the Top 16 and paying down to 40th place (based on 90 entries), we hope this entices more bowlers to travel to Sunshine Bowl to compete in this prestigious event.

We look forward to seeing you at AMF Sunshine Bowl for the 2003 Australian Open.

Tony Goodwin - AMF National Tournament Director

FORMAT
Qualifying
All bowlers will bowl 16 games in two appearances in their allocated squads over two days. Both squads are restricted to 45 bowlers.
Should both squads fill, A Squad will be opened up to accomodate up to 60 bowlers. This will only happen should BOTH SQUADS FILL.

Matchplay
The top 16 bowlers will bowl one full round (15 games) of matchplay with 20 bonus pins awarded per win and 10 bonus pins per draw. Pinfall from qualifying will carry over.

Placings will be decided at the completion of matchplay.

There is no stepladder final.

ENTRY FEE : $250

TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
Saturday 19th April 2003 - Qualifying
9.00 am A Squad Check In & Briefing
9.30am A Squad Bowl 8 Games
12.30 pm Lanes washed and oiled
1.00pm B Squad Check In & Briefing
1.30pm B Squad Bowl 8 Games
4.30 pm Day One Ends

Sunday 20th April 2003 - Qualifying
9.30am B Squad Bowl 8 Games
12.30 pm Lanes washed and oiled
1.30pm A Squad Bowl 8 Games
4.30 pm Top 16 Announced

Monday 21st April 2003 - Matchplay
10.00am Top 16 Check In
10.15am Top 16 bowl 15 games Matchplay
2.30 pm Presentations

PRIZE FUND
1st $3000
2nd $2000
3rd $1250
4th $1000
5th $900
6th $875
7th $850
8th $800
9th $780
10th $750
11th $730
12th $700
13th $680
14th $660
15th $630
16th $600
17th $400
18th $390
19th $380
20th $370
21st $350
22nd $340
23rd $330
24th $320
25th $310
26th $300
27th $290
28th $280
29th $270
30th $260
31st $250
32nd $240
33rd $230
34th $220
35th $200
36th $190
37th $180
38th $170
39th $160
40th $150

TOURNAMENT CONDITIONS
1. This is a scratch event which is open to all bowlers who are TBA Register Players. All games will be bowled in accordance with TBA rules and regulations.
2. No bowler is permitted to have more than one entry in this event.
3. Check in and briefing is detailed in the tournament schedule on day one only.
4. Bowlers must wear acceptable attire. Jeans, track suits, collarless T shirts or shorts (men only) are not permitted.
5. Should a tie occur for 16th after Qualifying, a one game playoff will decide the position.
6. The Tournament Director reserves the right to check any bowler’s equipment at any time. Any equipment found to breach TBA regulations will result in disqualification with no claim on any prize money.
7. Bowlers are not permitted to smoke whilst actually competing in this tournament.
8. Bowlers not checked in by the advertised time will be disqualified and will have no claim on any prize money.
9. Any matters not covered in these conditions will be decided by the Tournament Director whose decision will be final.
National Tournament Director: Tony Goodwin.

TO RECIEVE AN ENTRY FORM VIA MAIL, PLEASE EMAIL [email protected] with your name and address, and ask to be added to the Tournament Entry form mailing list.

While yet to make a showing for a mainland "major", I must say I like this format (reduced entry fees are always a plus too), but in my opinion, for future years, I would like the stepladder return. Now I know some people will disagree, as it involves an element of luck, but also in my eyes, it shows who can handle the pressure.

Just my 2c worth.

Graham,

If you can email me a PDF of the AO entry form. I'll printout and hand to every bowler at Latrobe Valley Youth Cup.

Aus Open 2003

Hey all,
Well being a bowler at Sunshine and also an employee i think someone should make mention of the fact that the mailing address of the bowl is wrong!!! The entry form says 523 Ballarat Road which actually happens to be a vacant lot up the road LOL! Try bowlign there :p
The actual address is in fact 505 Ballarat Road.

This point was brought to Regional Manager Warren Stewart's attention as soon as we got a copy which was the Wednesday before SA CUP but unfortunately the entry form had already gone to print.

So yes there is a Bowling Centre at 505 Ballarat Road and it is a great centre to bowl at (not biast at all LOL!) so hopefully we will all see you there at Easter

Laterz
Kelvin

Ill take full blame for that one :oops:

In the rush I got it wrong .. happens to everyone.

Anyways the entry forms should be out now : and see you all at 505 Ballarat Road :)

ENTRIES

Well hopefully there will be a few of us Canberran's (that was strange...lol) coming down for this.

Have many entered thus far?

Just pushing this back to the top .. apparently flights are pretty cheap at the moment ($260 return from Brisbane->Melbourne) so if you are thinking about this tournament get in quick as the flights will probably dry up quicker than .. let's not go there. :D

Australian Open Squads

Hey everybody,
I have a current list of squads for the Australian Open as of tonight. These are only the names that Sunshine have received:-
A SQUAD
1 Michael Muir
2 Steven Malina
3 Steve Kiss
4 Carl Barbara
5 Hor Cheng Yap
6 Michael Doutch
7 Graham Smith
8 Chris Matthews
9 Chris Mueller

B SQUAD
1 Chris Benson