ATTENTION LADIES AND GIRLS

*chook :>* said:
If this is the way to finaly make people look at their life styles and try to implement change then so be it. Just take a look at the new show, "Hunny, We're Killing the Kids".
Just to let you know, I am not fit, far from it, but at least I am trying to improve, to enhance my chance of being selected for one of these teams one day.
For the females, there is still 4 months until the 1st selection camp. If you want to have a go and want to enhance your chance of advancing, try walking the block once or twice a day, pull out the bike that may be locked away in the shed, make the trip to the gym twice a week. If you are determined to make the team then you will be determined to meet the guide lines that have been set.

It is very well and good for them to worry about our health and to make us look at our lives, but some of us are just never going to meet the standards they are asking. I workout at the gym by walking, doing stairs and bike riding and aerobics for at least an hour three times a week and I eat correctly. Yet I am the size I am and have been since I was 14. So some how I dont think 4 mths is going to make a great deal of difference.

I'm not trying to say that TBA are doing the wrong thing, I believe selection camps are wonderful for selecting Australian Teams, thats how I made the Youth Commonwealth team. I'm just trying to show that the standards they are asking for are just not applicable to bowling.

before anyone jumps down my throat i thought I'd let you all know that 2 years ago i wouldn't have passed the tests adopted by the TBA, hell i probably still wouldn't pass, but I'd be alot closer than what i would've been 2 years ago.

Ask anyone that knows me personally and they will vouch for what I'm about to tell you all about myself... I used to weigh 157 kg standing at 5'11", i was grotesquely overweight but i did something about it, i got the information i needed to help me loose the weight and now I'm down to 110 kg but alot more of me is muscle than it is fat.

louie said:
I workout at the gym by walking, doing stairs and bike riding and aerobics for at least an hour three times a week and I eat correctly. Yet I am the size I am and have been since I was 14.

What does your heart rate get to??? if it's not high enough then you won't burn the excess fat that, judging by your comment, you are trying to loose. At the same time body dimensions are also hereditary, if your parents are large and your grandparents are large then there is a real chance that you will be large, but it doesn't have to be that way.

How often do you see an overweight or large athlete on TV other than in the Olympics/commonwealth games where shear MUSCLE bulk is needed??? Not very!!! I think this move could also promote the sport to 'TV TIME' and show that Tenpin Bowling is not just for lazy, overweight, unfit people. As is the common thought.

I'm not trying to offend anyone with what i have said above but if i have i apologize.

I applaud the TBA in there efforts to show that fitness is a major factor in the game we love.

There is a lot of merit in the idea behind this move. I'm not so sure about the beep test, but the rest certainly has a solid base to work on. Having the camps is an excellent idea.

Body size is always going to be a touchy issue.. and I hope I don't offend anybody here. There are some great bowlers going around that are a little on the plus side, that can mix it on the lanes with the fittest going around.

Having said that, I believe fitness is still an advantage if you can achieve it. If you are good enough to make the Australian team without it, then you deserve to be there based on your skill.

Since we are having a bit of a deep and meaningful about here it, I realised sometime ago that to go anywhere in this sport, I had to change both my game, my physical makeup, and my fitness. I bowl two handed, so it is obvious that if my body is not 100% right, I'm not going to be as competitive as I could be.

I am now at a body weight that is the lowest I have been in a decade.. and I am only 20. I used to be like 82kg a couple of years ago, now I am down to 68kg. Has it made a difference? Absolutely. Am I bowling better? Yes. Can I bowl for longer? Sure can. Am I stronger? Most definately. Have I been going to the gym or doing a lot of extra exercise or doing anything major? No.

I still believe fitness is an advantage, but as I stated earlier, if you are good enough as you are to make the team, then you deserve to be there anyway.

Once the principle is applied to all groups (men, women, youth, juniors, etc), then I think the overall idea is great. Well done TBA for trying to lift our sport. We need to be recognised as a top class sport, this might be a way of doing it.

Louie I could not agree with you more!! I know what it is like to be a big person who is also fit at the same time. Your size is no indication as to the fitness level of a person. a prime example: my boss is very slender and is very unfit, I am the exact opposite. Just becuase i am unable to run does not mean I am unfit. There a people who for them will alway be big.

I honestly think everybody is missing the whole point of this exercise. Im sure that funding from the Government is Crucial to our sport continuing to grow and prosper. Hopefully it can gain its rightful place amoungst the other elite sports we all love to watch and participate in at both the Olympics and Commonwealth games.

To this end it must be seen that our sport is endevouring to meet certain standards and guidelines as set down by the Governing body in sport funding. If we dont do that we have no hope of competing with the more well funded sports.

If we want to be taken seriously as a sport and not a game these are the types of things that need to be put in place.

Im sorry but if it means the a few people miss out on National selection because they fail a skin folds test or a beep test and this means we gain a substantial rise in funding i say to bad.

I give great credit to the TBA for taking this stance. They have finally summoned up the courage to drag the sport of Tenpin that we all love and enjoy into the 21st Century.

I only hope that we move forward from here and in years to come can be preparing our elite athletes for competion at competitions like the Olympics.
There are many in our sport who have dreamed of this happening for many many years. Hopefully with decisions like this it will no longer be a dream.

Phil

Nothing of the above is meant to offend anybody. It is just my opinion nothing more nothing less.

philby said:
I give great credit to the TBA for taking this stance. They have finally summoned up the courage to drag the sport of Tenpin that we all love and enjoy into the 21st Century.
Nicely put Phil. I am sure this decision was carefully considered by TBA without defaming or offending anyone. I think it's about time this sport is taken seriously. Most of my mates laugh at me when i tell them i love bowling. They are like Bowling is for Fat and Lazy People. How many of us have heard this remarks :rolleyes: TBA should be supported for this courageous move. If this decision can challenge our top bowlers to get fit then i am all for it. Why not be positive about this. They are not asking you for a crash diet or change the frame of your body! Just be healthy and fit :D We live in a very busy world. Everything is at a touch of a button. Try watching tv without the remote. Everything is in a rush. Kids love computer games more then outdoor sports.This makes most of us lazy, fat and unfit. ( let's be honest) If there's injury or medical reason... why would you risk your team mates and yourself? Isn't it better you don't bowl?
Just my opinion and no offence meant.
PS i am abit worried about that skin test ;)
Alex :D

IF our sport wishes to be treated as a SPORT, the participants need to want to put in the hard yards to be recognised as ATHLETES. Ive seen many bowlers work on their game until a certain point, then stop training, and sit on what they have.

Can you imagine how competitive our ALTHLETES would be, if they trained 3 or 4 times a week? 2 times a week on the lanes, and 2 times a week in the gym would make a massive improvement in the overall standard of our competitions. Other countries are doing it, why shouldnt we be? Talent can only take you so far, its the 1% extra effort that makes the difference in the end.

This, in my opinion is a great stance by the TBA. The effort to get our ATHLETES to put in extra towards their game should be applauded! Its well overdue, and ultimately, is a definitive move into improving Australian Tenpin bowling at the highest level. That's not me even getting into the Gov funding benefits...

Those that don't make the cut, and want to enough, WILL put in the TIME and EFFORT to do so, and will ultimately improve not only their games, but themselves in the process. See this as a positive move if you believe tenpin is a SPORT, rather than a game. All other participants of sports work their asses off to improve, why shouldnt a bowler?

I can see it now,

No Smoking

No Drinking

In Bed before 10pm

Till Finally an Age limit, between 25-35.

Anybody else want thier Future read?

willey

Look guys the point being TBA will be lucky to find six bowlers that are good bowlers and are able to meet the standards.. However I am sure they will just change the rules AGAIN to suit who they would like in the team.
SAME OLD STORY.........NOTHING EVER CHANGES.
It hasnt changed for the past nine years, they do what they want.
Amanda

You took the words right out of mouth Amanda. I agree will you whole heartedly. If it is for funding (which every change has been blamed on) why is it we never see any proof of these directives from the Sports Commision, we only hear about it from TBAL.

Sandra

There are so many posts above that are off topic and should have been deleted by the Administrator.
TBA posted about fitness for long haul travel - duty of care. They said nothing about BOWLING fitness in that post. They then singled out females to meet fitness tests in a separate post. Discrimination. Everybody who has gone off the subject about being fit enough to bowl 20 games etc is off topic. The TBA should post that men will have to do the tests too and that real reason behind all this bull**** is ASC funding.
Funny that I got a PM saying that it is TBA policy not to post on here (but they did via the Administrator) when I had the hide to ask that the truth behind all this crap be posted by them!!! They do not represent the interests of bowlers. Who are the bowler reps on TBA and what are they doing to earn their places?
Nevertheless, there won't be enough pass the test; therefore no one will travel; therefore no medals. NAH!! You are spot on Amanda. And Willey. Spot on.

I don’t think there are any post's that are off topic everyone has the right to an opinion and that is what they have given.

I get emails sent to me by TBA and I choose to post them, to keep you the bowlers informed, so no feral, they don't post on here; I post the information that I am sent on behalf of TBA.
I have taken a step towards keeping in touch with TBA, as they have with me to give you the bowlers any information that comes to hand, as in the past, this has not been the case.

So be grateful you don’t have to go looking for this information on the TBA site only. I think everyone at TBA has earn't there place there, how many other people would commit to the sport for free, and give up there time for free, people are always good at whinging about TBA but none of you ever put your hand up to help.

Now please people feel free to post on this topic, anyone want to whinge about TBA give them a call, or email them.

Jase said:
people are always good at whinging about TBA but none of you ever put your hand up to help.
Yes they have. People with a great knowledge of the game have put their hand up but have been laughed at. Who do I put my hand up to and who votes to approve me?

Feral said:
Who do I put my hand up to and who votes to approve me?

There was an AGM in May I believe you could of attended and also I don’t remember seeing you at the AGM for TBAQ not so long back either. Maybe next year hey Feral!!!!

As for your first line I assume you are talking about Wayne Chester????.... Did he actually put in a nomination form for any position or just actually post here on the Total Bowling forum to make it known to everyone that he was interested ????

Either way you all know the correct channels to take.

Now back on topic hey!!!

Your assumption is way off the mark but I believe Mr Chester would be an ideal representative, and in May I was having chemo. Regardless, I wasn't talking about TBAQ. Anyway, why TBAQ? Do all TBAQ people agree with and/or aspire to TBA positions?directives?

Feral,

I get your whole discrimination angle, that because this camp is for "ladies and girls", and they are the only ones being asked to subject themselves to these "fitness" criteria it is discrimination. Until they announce a camp for gentleman and boys, and don't set the same "fitness" criteria - this is a non-argument.

V

willey said:
I can see it now,

No Smoking

No Drinking

In Bed before 10pm

Till Finally an Age limit, between 25-35.

Anybody else want thier Future read?

willey
but isnt AMF's new motto 'drunk bowling' for social bowling?

it was quite the go at dee why last i was there, im sure macarfar will be the same when the bar finally opens.

Enf...

Well, interesting topic……The way I read it is - if you’re fat you don’t get to go to Camp 2? Does this include coaches, managers and other support staff? While I see what they are trying to for the game, coming from an elite athlete here I’m not sure if it’s the best thing to do. Over the years I have seen many a slightly larger built person to be the best at what they do in many sports, even bowling in PBA in America and here as well.
Many people feel comfortable with the way they look and are very competitive, sure if they lose weight and train they might even do better…… and then again maybe not.
Is the TBA only going to pick people that are physically fit to be in a team?
Mind you it wouldn’t be the first time. I have seen many a team picked by “HUMANS” that select people that look good or who they are and gee I like him……..long before even the current regime.
Just off the point at the moment, I hear the national body and even the state body still adopt the “Code of Silence” or “Gag” order which is put in place once you are in a team or want to be part of, because it is so called “Not Positive” to voice an opinion.
What ever happened to freedom of speech……………?

On closing, I would like to say how nice it is to be bowling with the seniors because “we” don’t have all this “CRAP”. A lot of “us” don’t worry about what other people think about how we look and some of us can still be just as competitive as the thin beautiful people.

In 5 years will we worry about bowling ability at all? Let’s get all the skinny, blonde haired, big chested women to bowl, that will really let the rest of the world how shallow, backwards and superficial we are.

Yours Truly

Tony S.

I think some people are taking this the wrong way.
The TBA are doing this so they can create the best possible team to take away to represent our country. Yes, there may be some ladies/girls who are not skinny and are solid, but this does not mean they are not fit. Look at Michelle Feldman!! And those that are skinny are not going to be the fittest either.
The results from the beep test and the skin folds test are not the only things that will determine whether the TBA think you have what it takes to represent Australia. You only need to get to Level 6 on the beep test, its not as hard as everyone thinks (even though I dropped out at about Level 5 when we did it at camp, but I had my reasons). And Core Stability? I cant remember if there was someone whinging about this, but I have learnt that it does have a lot to do with bowling as well.
Dont forget that you have the on lanes stuff as well...Ive seen people having a cry about the written exam. Whats wrong with this? The test is going to show who knows their stuff about bowling. Why would TBA want to send away a bunch of people who know absolutely nothing about the game?!
Anyways, if you dont like what the TBA are trying to do, or disagree with it or whatever...dont go. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom