AN OPEN LETTER TO THE CEO & ALL TBA BOARD MEMBERS

TBA website has news on OPERATIONAL ADVISORY COUNCIL.
A few wise heads should put their hands up to fill the positions. If we had the likes of Warren Stewart and Terry Wenban, eminent members of our Tenpin Community, then you couldn't not be influenced by their knowledge.
Note: I did email Chairman Joseph asking him to read some of the constructive comments on this forum and received a reply within the hour. He is aware.

How Warren Stewart isn't on the board simply escapes me.............he should be first pick of any individual in this country when bowling is being seriously discussed. He understands the business, the sport and the industry..............he's been around since Adam was a boy so he has a lifetimes worth of knowledge and experience that is simply irreplaceable.

Yes there are others - but look on the bright side TBA - he won't even cost you an airfare now.

In theory an Operational Advisory Council would be good but if all members of the existing 8 member board are not getting an equal say in the decision making process then what hope would another group of un-elected officials have?
Brendan thanks for telling me that the Chairman is AWARE but my expectation is that HE responds to me and all TBA members with the answers to the questions raised.
Out of interest WHO ARE YOU?

Sean, Like yourself a concerned bowler but certainly without the fire in my belly!
Started in 1975 at Morwell Bowl, 8 lane centre. Bowled VCBA when in Red Shirts and then dressed by S Sportswear. Gave it away in 1994 and for the last 10 years based at Moorabbin bowling league. I knew Warren Stewart when he was a junior and thought he had some potential! Covid-19 average of 206.
Let’s talk if you want to improve the look of current tournament entry forms.
Most of all, I love tenpin!

The response from The TBA Chairman:
Thank you for your email. I have heard of this forum and have received some feedback on the content.

I am not sure that expressing my or TBA sanctioned feedback on these types of forums is the right thing to do.

However I believe forums such as this, need to exist and ensure your voice is being heard.

I am however always eager to respond to the right form of feedback if TBA believes this feedback is required to ensure the brand of TBA or the organisation is at risk. I would prefer to do this individually via formal correspondence.

Again thank you for the email and long standing membership of TBA and your commitment to the sport.

Last edited:
Brendan Ayre,

Yes entry forms are important as long as we still have a game to play at a competitive level in the future. Maybe you might just become the official entry form printer for the TBA. Liked the way you snuck that in. Very impressive marketing!

I was Ian Bradford's doubles partner in juniors in 1976 & 77 at Essendon and he didn't show a great deal of bowling potential, possibly because he was a little busy getting ready to achieve one of the highest HSC scores recorded by a Victorian in the state's history - 1978 (he went to an ordinary high school as well). There are a number of very bright and talented people in bowling but are these 'recent arrivals' willing to sit back and LEARN from those who know infinitely more than they possibly ever will? I greatly doubt that their egos would allow it.......And Brendan I could't care less WHERE the Chairman or incoming CEO choose to address the issues and questions raised as long as they are answered appropriately so that every member of the TBA can see whether they are listening to people who possess a real knowledge of the game. Obviously it would be best to respond either through the TBA website or via an email to all members. But really the actual response is what matters. Far better than the Australian Sports Commission asking questions later.

Now to get this straight. I sent the letter to the Chairman via email as he asked me to do via a text message he sent to me. I also placed a copy of my Letter on this forum so that all bowlers have the opportunity to make comments (good or bad). I also expect all bowers to have access to the response when it comes back. If there is even one issue or question I have asked that you disagree with please feel free to give your opinion or view. If you want to argue against transparency to the TBA membership feel free because that is all I am asking for. The Chairman is a big boy and we will see if he together with the new CEO can make a valid argument against even one of the issues I have raised.

Last edited:
It's a good commentary Sean. I hope the TBA people at least have the courtesy and business acumen to respond accordingly - they certainly have that obligation - of that there should be no doubt.

You've boxed on well Sean, thrown punches and stepped back to see what comes your way - it seems to me along with Warren Stewart, who would be of significant value to the new TBA, you've earned the right to have some time in the ring with these people - to help them better understand what the fight is all about. Because they sure have a fight in front of them - not so much with you or me and not with the membership, the industry or the business of bowling - their fight is with every other sport, entity, entertainment, activity and game that attracts people to them rather than to bowling....and that fight next year will be an incredible stoush after Covid - if indeed the Chinese Virus is manageable next year.

Plus they have to fight with one arm tied behind their backs right now - not because they don't have enthusiasm [I bet they have buckets of that] but because I believe they don't know how to land a match winning punch. They need good trainers - just as any fighter needs advice from good trainers with experience.

I'm going to prolong this a little..it's simple yet says what needs to be said - it's an old one [so if you know it I'm sorry], at least it is for me, but always telling in it's intent:.

A man falls down a hole - he can't get out no matter what he does.
Another man walks by and hears the man yelling for help.
"Help me out" says our man in the hole
"I'm a doctor let me see what I can do"
So the doctor throws down a prescription.
The man is still stuck.
Another man walks by "help me" says our friend in the hole.
"I'm a priest said the stranger" - and he throws down a prayer
Shortly a third man walks by and recognises the stranded mans voice - so he jumps down into the hole.
"What are you doing" our friend says "now we are both stuck down here"
"Yes" said his friend - "but I've been down here before - and I know the way out".

The TBA needs some friends who know the way out..

Very worrying reduction of funding. Perhaps the QLD grant info isn’t released yet? But would assume that’s FY July 20 - June 21, and thus it’s not awarded.

Minimum $225k reduction and maybe $400k.

I would note 2 additional things:

1. 2019 annual report (calendar year) ASC grants were reported as $542k, down from $499k in 2018. Neither aligns directly with the financial year numbers stated on the ASC website. Both appear to be declines, however.

Grants - other would be assumed to be the QLD grant? Up from $171.7k in 2019, $131.7k in 2018, but alas not mentioned for the year ahead. The odd amounts suggest some splits between calendar and financial years, but I’m speculating.

The totals would suggest either: there are one or more additional grants in excess of what you’ve identified here Sean. Or that there is an additional decline from 2018-2019, which would be odd considering the amounts in the accounts show an increase (not impossible, but unlikely on face value as would imply an increase from 18-19, then subsequent decrease... but whatever, rather see the books opened to review.)

2. Note 11 to the 2019 accounts has $682,858 current liability for “Income Received in Advance”.

That’s a significant amount compared to the grants, unless there was a multi-year award made in 2019. Particularly when compared to $270k in 2018.

I would suggest “Early Bird Registrations” account for a significant portion.

Assuming 50% of the 2019-2020 grants were carried forward ($356,844), this means $326k in memberships occurred via Early Bird (c.45%). Note: there are other sources of revenue not considered here.

Interesting again is the 2018 figure.

Also assuming 50% of the 2018-2019 grants were carried forward ($315,370), this leaves a hole on the balance sheet of $45,255 before we even consider other sources of revenue that may have been received in advance - any of which would make this hole BIGGER.

I’ll assume our accounts passed audit, so this is not an actual hole but a flaw in my assumption that grants were on a 1 July - 30 June Financial Year basis. In which case it’s difficult to see the pattern year on year reflecting in TBA books.

In conclusion:

1. I think it’d be useful to see more full disclosure.

2.There does indeed appear to be a serious issue with year on year grant funding.
TBA needs to be more transparent with the financials starting with stop hiding them under Board of Directors. This years accounts should be very interesting given the loss of nationals and other events. Revenue should be down significantly as well as costs so the accounts should be an interesting read.

That word TRANSPARENT keeps coming back. I have still not had any type of reply or acknowledgement from the supposed Chair of the TBA since my letter was submitted on 5 December. In our sport, people who accept a position of authority are answerable to the membership. If you are asked questions you respond promptly and appropriately or you leave. It is pretty simple.

Last edited:
If you look through some of the names who have read / commented on this thread of messages it would add up to literally hundreds of years of bowling knowledge & involvement. It would be tens of thousands of years if you include those who have read the thread without passing comment. I think my 45 years is a long time but it is dwarfed by Wenban, Jones & Richmond. Darrell Holt has also contributed to the sport seemingly forever. Rob K and Brendan A also love the game and have long involvements. Mrs P, I thank you without being entirely sure of your identity. We need bowlers who love the game and are committed to it. The names mentioned above all have a large percentage of their lives involved in the game. I want to see a Board made up of people who want to be fully transparent with the membership (bowlers and / or non-bowlers). I want the membership to know where every dollar is being spent. To the voting delegates I want you to only support people committed to full transparency. I also think we need to do something (if there is a way to change the system) in regard to how the Board is elected. In an ideal world every member of the board should be elected by the membership or via voting delegates representing the members. If it is possible we need to change the constitution or the organisational structure to allow this to happen.

Last edited:
Its not going to happen, it's a bureaucracy now. It's just all about money for the heads of sport, it's not just bowling but all sports. Who picked the NTS squad?? There will be no transparency at all just watch what happens, nothing will change because it doesn't suit the agenda .. it's sad but that's how I see it going. I hope I am proved wrong ..

A bureaucracy would be almost acceptable - but what we have, by all accounts, set to fall into place in Melbourne is a clique.

Yo, Ho, Ho on us.

It is now 39 days since I sent the letter to the Chair of the TBA. I am still yet to even receive an acknowledgment.
I believe the new CEO is to commence his role next week. I would expect the first order of business would be discussions with the Board in regard to reviewing all Board duties and specifically the roles (non-bowling people - what do they do?) including the position of Chair. I would like to see a Chair who immediately addresses issues raised by members. When a member raises questions of importance they expect a prompt and appropriate response. When people who have held membership for 40 - 50 years say JUMP I expect the Chair to respond with 'How High'.
I also notice that tickets are on sale again for the Devil's Lair event involving a number of PBA & PWBA players competing in Hobart in a little over 6 months from now. I have more chance of being part of the flight crew for the next NASA mission to the moon than a group of players from the USA getting into Hobart. Jeremy Rockliff, the Tasmanian Sports Minister and Deputy Premier is a very bright guy. It will be interesting to see what he thinks.
Looking even closer to home with Labor Premiers only too willing to lock down their states (VIC, WA & QLD) if someone sneezes then how do people risk being locked up in Tasmania when they need to get home to return to work. It is going to be very hard to run the Nationals in 2021.

Last edited:
I have this great gift Sean I can see the future, it's blurry but clear enough for me to say without fear of contradiction that you will not, let me repeat NOT require astronaut training.

Unfortunately my "gift" does not allow me to see next Saturday's lotto numbers.

Still I guess we can't have everything can we - even a simple, informed and courteous response appears an impossible task for some.

The reason the ATBSO is so successful is because it is run by bowlers for bowlers. That is pretty bloody simple. When the grants dry up and the TBA, sorry 'Tenpin Bowling Melbourne' in its current form ceases to exist a new version will be created and we will revert back to an association run by bowlers for bowlers.
PROGRESS IS ONLY EVER GOOD WHEN IT IMPROVES ON WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE.
We do live in a weird world though. Some idiots listen to TAFE qualified kitchen hands (tv chefs) promoting health advice and conspiracy theories on the Corona Virus.
It is a bit like a knowledgeable bowler taking advice from a non-bowling TBA official on a genuine bowling matter.
Bowlers will take their sport back it is just a matter of time.

If I wanted to talk to, you know as in speak with, using my actual voice - I know it's uncommon and everything is now done electronically, but humour me, I'm old fashioned - one of the senior staff of the TBA it appears [and I am happy to be corrected, please someone tell me I have missed something] I would need to contact the Queensland office by phone then ask someone for a contact for the relevant individual.

Would the good people in that office give me a contact number I wonder?

Further if I wanted to drop by and say, as an example, pop a TBA sponsorship cheque on the desk of the "Melbourne" staff, well I might, there are times I feel certain I have lost part of my mind, how would I do that I wonder?

You see I can't for the life of me find an address for the Melbourne office or a contact number for any of the senior staff. Like I say though it could be just me and it's simply somewhere I haven't spotted as yet.

Still I wonder - they aren't all just ASIO spies are they and this is their cover?

I know when I left Brunswick Indoor Recreation Group in Hong Kong, having been dragged by the neck by a past Brunswick Corp CEO to a division of SPX in Dallas as the VP for International, I understand there was a rumour going about part of the bowling industry that I was working for the government - which government I never found out but there you are. Strange things do happen in and around bowling...I have a fair idea I've been involved one way or another for very nearly [and it's far too "very nearly" for my liking I can tell you] 60 years.

Oh and if these people ARE with ASIO - please disregard this post and don't blame me for breaking your cover - there's a good lot of chaps.

Hi Steve,

After a little trial and error I discovered that all of the board as well as the other TBA officials (those unknown individuals who call themselves managers of different descriptions) have a common email type. Example: [email protected]
Not that direct contact from a member seems to really matter as after 8 weeks I have still not received an acknowledgement of my letter.
It seems to be a lot like education in Australia now - no-one fails anymore - certainly VCE in Victoria is nothing more than a participation award.
Maybe certain members of the TBA (sorry Tenpin Bowling Melbourne) organisation think that attending a meeting or spending member's money is all that is required? Maybe it is arrogance? - Why should an official reply to a member of an organisation they claim to represent? The only issue is that if displaying arrogance it is also good if you can back it up with significant talent and bowling intellect. I certainly haven't seen a lot of that yet from the TBA (other than the bowling board members) but I have seen genuine real concerns from many of the people who comment on this forum.

Last edited:
Don't come here often these days but this thread is pretty concerning. The question I would ask then is what do the TBA actually do??? Doesn't look like much if they cannot respond to an email.

Not a word thanks Rob. It seems that it is far easier to visit bowling centres and take ''selfies'' which are then posted onto the TBA website.
Maybe someone will let us all know exactly what a ''selfie'' taken in a bowling centre does to benefit the sport?
Providing answers to the questions I raised in my letter exactly 90 days ago must be a little too challenging.
3 months today and not even an acknowledgement of my letter. It is simply pathetic. The TBA needs a real ''clean out'' now!!!!!
Then again maybe the ''clean out'' has already commenced. It seems the career longevity of a CEO is about 6 weeks these days.
I wonder if CEO Martin Stillman had my letter passed onto him when he started back in January.
I have now emailed Martin Stillman but for some strange reason I don't expect a response. I wonder why?????
Maybe the Chair can let me and everyone else know when he tabled my letter at a board meeting or are they too busy admiring their pretty ''selfies"?
I suppose my letter will have to wait another 3 months?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom