AMF Game Rates?

I don't know Jim, but based on the rates you're being charged down there, I'm willing to bet he wouldn't order a hamburger and fries from the snack bar.

Food for thought guys...if the game rates are high now....goodness only knows what happens once the new electricity pricing kicks in...if our power is set to rise in the house holds across Australia by 60% what will AMF raise the price to,to cover that increase?

I shudder to think.!

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." If Mark Twain was here to-day, I wonder what he'd say on this thread?

Hell, we're doing plenty about the weather. The ice caps are melting, the ocean levels are rising, 6 of the hottest years on record happened in the last 12 years. (Source http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/jan/HQ_10-017_Warmest_temps.html)

I don't know that he'd be proud of our efforts though...

What we can do about bowling is organise ourselves. A bowler's union. For those of you scared off by such a good old fashioned lefty term, how about a bowler's buying cooperative?

As I said before guys, 200,000 individual voices wont be heard, but 200,000 individuals with 1 voice will. As far as the weather goes I just cant see a heat stroke in the middle of a blizzard. There a sign in a 4 ft. snow bank in DC that read Al Gore call home.

Article in the Townsville Bulletin today about the cost of several family activities in the Townsville region made for interesting reading.
Here are the comparative costs, as per the article:

Cowboys: Total $89.60.
General admission family pass ($38), food $51.60 (4 chips, 4 hotdogs, 4 soft drinks).

Movies total $102.
Admission $33 2 adults + $25 2 kids, food $40 (2 lg 2 sml Coke & popcorn combos) $4 3d glasses.

Ice Skating total $72.
Family pass ($50 inc skates), food $22 (4 chips, 2 pies, 2 soft drinks).

Bowling total $66.80.
2 game family pass ($45), food $21.80 (2 burgers 2 hotdogs, 4 soft drinks).

Play centre total $33.
Admission 2 chn ($18, adults free), food $15 (2 buckets chips, 2 chick nuggets, 2 cans soft drinks).

Aquarium total $107.10.
Admission $49.50 (2 adults) $24.20 (2 chn), food $33.40 (2 burgers, 2 chn meals, 2 coffees).

$45 is our standard rate, any time. They would have saved $5 coming in after 5pm on Sunday ($5 games Sunday arvo and Mon-Thur after 8pm), and league bowlers would have got $3 games (not fri/Sat night though) and 10% off of the meals.

I don't think that less than $17 per person for a family day out is that bad, and it stacks up pretty well against the alternatives listed IMO.

Cowboys looks like a good entry deal, but the food seems OMFG expensive for what it is. Is that typical at AFL/NRL/etc?

Robbie, they are good prices at your Centre but I haven't worked in an AMF Centre for 7 years and back then 2 games for a Family of 4 cost over $80, not including Food, even the Staff didn't buy the Food.

willey

Another issue there is the time period. All activities [bar the play centre as I don't know what it is] would be a minimum of 2.5 - 3 hrs of use. Bowling, 4 x 2 games (as a rough guess) in and out in an hour (maybe 1.5hr). Price/Min might be a better comparison.

But then again, the way I play (2 shots per frame) I could probably stretch 8 games out to 4 hours ;)

You need to understand AMF are run by 'Ardent Leisure' (who own more companies as well) & as far as I know, any company is out to make a profit. Obviously that doesn't make some pricings right, but when adhering to strict guidelines in order to run a business efficiently, sadly there can be no acceptions.

Ofcourse, I'm not saying I agree with the huge mark up. Being a technician, i do know parts cost money, & lots of it.

Jason that's a pretty good idea, but I honestly don't think the head guys would care too much, they still make quite a bit of money from social bowlers. If bowlers went on strike, they'd probably see it as more of an excuse to cut back shifts lol.

First of all, as a resident of Wagga, I would love AMF to open a centre down here. Independents come and go and now we have the promise of another, probably 12 months of operation before it all falls over again.

So, when i go bowling i travel to Canberra where AMF dominate the market at Tuggeranong & Belconnen.
I am not sure who said that AMF would die and Independent centres would prosper, its not the case in the Capital after Queanbeyans demise.
Now, I like to gain all the facts before entering a debate and here are some facts -

1/ ADP - a US company did open up here to show em how it was done, they were called AMF, but due to the Minimum Wage being much higher than America, found they were not as profitable as American Centres and sold their Australian division off.
2/ You try and name me another company that discounts their prices during their most profitable periods like AMF do during School Holidays. Try and book accomodation during School Holidays on the Gold Coast, I bet you dont get 2 rooms, shoe hire, hot dog, fries and a coke for less than the normal 2 room Adult rate.
3/ Whilst i find it admirable what Cindy has done in reducing pricing in her centre, the theory behind why you have 6 new Juniors is all wrong. From seeing what I witnessed yesterday at Tuggeranong, AMF have recruited a full house of Junior League with their NRL league. It was refreshing to have to wait for a lane at 4.30pm on Wednesday afternoon as they had 24 lanes of Juniors bowling. Reducing your Social price will only reduce your league numbers. Why commit to a weekly league when you can bowl whenever you want for just as cheap a price. The $5.50 practice rate is the biggest Marketing tool AMF have.
4/ During my time at Tuggeranong yesterday, i spoke to the staff who advised me that over 100 new bowlers have started over the last 8 weeks ue to their recruiting, what was also refreshing was to see the Manager down on the lanes with the kids showing them how to keep it out of the gutter as well as generally High fiving the kids and encouraging them to keep bowling.

All in all, I think the AMF bash over price is all a bit much, no other company does it as well or else there would be heaps of Independents with more than 40 centres

First of all, as a resident of Wagga, I would love AMF to open a centre down here. Independents come and go and now we have the promise of another, probably 12 months of operation before it all falls over again.

So, when i go bowling i travel to Canberra where AMF dominate the market at Tuggeranong & Belconnen.
I am not sure who said that AMF would die and Independent centres would prosper, its not the case in the Capital after Queanbeyans demise.
Now, I like to gain all the facts before entering a debate and here are some facts -

1/ ADP - a US company did open up here to show em how it was done, they were called AMF, but due to the Minimum Wage being much higher than America, found they were not as profitable as American Centres and sold their Australian division off.
2/ You try and name me another company that discounts their prices during their most profitable periods like AMF do during School Holidays. Try and book accomodation during School Holidays on the Gold Coast, I bet you dont get 2 rooms, shoe hire, hot dog, fries and a coke for less than the normal 2 room Adult rate.
3/ Whilst i find it admirable what Cindy has done in reducing pricing in her centre, the theory behind why you have 6 new Juniors is all wrong. From seeing what I witnessed yesterday at Tuggeranong, AMF have recruited a full house of Junior League with their NRL league. It was refreshing to have to wait for a lane at 4.30pm on Wednesday afternoon as they had 24 lanes of Juniors bowling. Reducing your Social price will only reduce your league numbers. Why commit to a weekly league when you can bowl whenever you want for just as cheap a price. The $5.50 practice rate is the biggest Marketing tool AMF have.
4/ During my time at Tuggeranong yesterday, i spoke to the staff who advised me that over 100 new bowlers have started over the last 8 weeks ue to their recruiting, what was also refreshing was to see the Manager down on the lanes with the kids showing them how to keep it out of the gutter as well as generally High fiving the kids and encouraging them to keep bowling.

All in all, I think the AMF bash over price is all a bit much, no other company does it as well or else there would be heaps of Independents with more than 40 centres
Who the hell do you think you are? Coming on here with such a well informed and logical post! And first post at that! We'll have none of that here, sledging, degrading, misinformed, rude and just plain stupid posts only thankyou.

Almost There, I don't know where you got your facts. AMF never started any Centre's in Australia, in the early years they ONLY LEASED the MACHINES at a cost of 5 cents (sixpence) per game. Brunswick did however start up some Centre's but they pulled the plug in the recession of 1966, about this time Bowling Centre's Holding (BCH) owned the Centre's with AMF leased Machines. BcCHwas at one time owned by British Tobacco, which I think is now Coca-Cola Amital.

AMF as I was told by one of thier CEO's, Peter Finlayson, was in the business of selling equipment but they took over the running of many Centre's to stop them closing thus continuing thier main agenda of selling Bowling Equipment, than they proceeded to buy each Centre when they could. The old Parramatta, on George st, was not bought probably because it would have been too expensive.

willey

For the record queanbeyan didn't close because of viability, Scott was making a motza. At the end of the day, the investors who owned the premises made a significant profit selling the block, enough to be worth shutting down a thriving business!

Back
Top Bottom