Age Limit

Jerry8-10

Why cant Juniors Bowl in "Adult" Tournaments, don't other sports allow younger Players to compete? e.g Ian Thorpe breaking world Records at 15.
Surely if they are good enough they should bowl, considering dwindling numbers.
What are your thoughts?

I could be wrong, but I was under the assumption that the only "adult" tournament that was closed to junior bowlers was the Adult Nationals.......

Juniors have been able to bowl in open events as well as leagues/tournaments since the game started [unless specific rules precluded them and such rules are probably now not applicable in this age of political correctness].....I bowled an open/adult league in 1968 at StKilda Bowl in Melbourne and I was 15..I think Steve Mackie was 16 for something like 5 to 10 years [at least according to press reports] when he won open/adult events well before 1968...John Everson was even younger - at least the press said so [and they are never wrong!!] - Everson won his first open/adult event - and maybe if the press of the day was to be believed he was - well ...........at least 6!

I was sort of getting to the fact that USBC Open Nationals is open to all registered Bowler over the age of 16, if these conditions were adopted then
maybe the Nationals could be a bigger Event that it has sadly become, our State of Tasmania is also struggling to fill its Rachuig Ladies Team, this years draft is not looking promising.
I would be interested to hear others thoughts??

As far as Rachuig is concerned in my eyes, if you're good enough to make the team, age should NOT be a factor. Rachuig is about having the strongest OPEN team each state/territory can field, and if someone the age of 14 is good enough to make the team, they should be able to bowl. Same as someone the age of 90.

It's about responsibility I think, and liability.

The USBC events where 16 year olds are welcome, 16 give you a lot more priveleges in many states than it does over here.

My own personal opinion is that junior bowlers should NOT be allowed to bowl in ADULT leagues or tournaments. The league I bowl in currently has a young girl as a regular for one of the teams. I'm only guessing now, that she is maybe 12 years old.. tops. I could be described as somewhat of a fierce competitor and curse words often flow from my mouth when I make a silly error..let's face it...I hate losing. Whether it be to or a child or the best bowler in the country. I want to win every time I put on my bowling shoes. I really don't think this young girl should be exposed to adults blowing off steam during competition. There'll be plenty of time for that when she's an adult.

I really don't think this young girl should be exposed to adults blowing off steam during competition. There'll be plenty of time for that when she's an adult.

I think its a chance to teach this girl how not to act on the lanes.

I recall when I was 16 years old I bowled in a couple of Adult Tournaments
and cashed in both. The guy that coached the juniors at Cross rd Bowl at the time told me I would lose my junior status if I didnt give the money back.
As an apprentice at the time in the mid 70's on $60 a week there was no way on earth I was giving back $250-$300 to no %#$&@*.

In those days im sure juniors werent allowed to bowl in CASH leagues or tournaments. They could however bowl in them if they only paid out trophys.

I would have to agree with Androooo also. If your good enough to make the top 7 bowlers in your Rachuig rolloffs it shouldnt matter what the age.
At least with a couple of young girls in the teams some of the old tarts might learn to behave themselves.

Juniors were allowed to bowl Rachuig a number of years until the rule was changed.

The way numbers are dwindling for Rachuig rolloffs in each state they may have to look at changing the rule if Rachuig is going to survive.

Juniors have been able to bowl in open events as well as leagues/tournaments since the game started [unless specific rules precluded them and such rules are probably now not applicable in this age of political correctness].....
It may have been different in each state/territory, I'm not sure.
I do know that no junior was allowed to participate in an adult (IE: money) league down here until 1990.
That is, if they wanted to keep their junior status in order to participate in things such as President's Shield etc.
There had been a fair few of us in the junior ranks that had wanted to bowl in the adult leagues back then (for stronger competition - and to show off in front of the bigger crowds let's face it :p) but were precluded from doing so.
I asked to join Sponsors League at Moonah, at the time the biggest and best standard league in the state, at age 12.
The request was denied and because I wanted bowl President's Shield in future years, decided it was wiser to stay in the junior leagues instead until the rule was changed when I was 15.
The old STTBA were a very strict organisation in those days and rocking the boat wasn't a very smart idea.
I can definitely say it was the best thing ever when they allowed us to join the adult leagues and bowl against the men, it was like a whole new world had opened up.
As for tournament play, back in that era it was strictly forbidden for any junior to play in any adult tournament and even when the 1990 ruling was brought in, we were still barred from entering adult events until we turned 18.

Hence why many of the Junior/Adult classified events they held at Moonah pre-1990 were very strongly participated in back then - I can remember one had over 90 teams participate!

As to what Androoo said, I agree 100%.

There are ideas, good or bad, for juniors to participate in Adult tournaments and leagues.

My children started in the junior league Saturdays but changed to the adult league: single parent/work, didn't give me option for kids to attend 4.30 junior leagues or Saturday morning. They continue to bowl today, leagues, state, nationally.

The first Adult tournament my son attended taught me some valuable lessons: never allow my kids to behave like that on the lanes, make sure the rules and etiquette of bowling was enforced with the juniors at our centre, and stick to assisting the junior/youth SPORT of tenpin bowling.

Bowling at Nationals should be restricted to over 18: juniors can compete in Youth Nationals now, giving a clear pathway for development. At a National level Juniors can progress from President's Shield to Youth, tying in with all the schooling and social development of a younger person. There are no restrictions on other events, or on being selected for overseas representation.

I think there are enough over 18 yr old bowlers with talent and enthusiam to fill the squads, teams and events at Adult Nationals - encuragement and support required.

Leanne.

Competing in Adult/Youth tournaments give juniors a chance to learn & grow....as a junior I enjoyed & learned more in adult tournaments ..most of the adults competing were friendly and willing to welcome a junior who wanted to learn...youth were less friendly but still a learning experience. I find in leagues many older people don't like being beaten by young bowlers..this is at a league/home only bowler level and doesn't tend to carry over into higher competition.

Hi Tiger - yes in retrospect you would be correct that State by State and/or City Association by City Association application of certain rules of play of this type would relate - given the times we are talking about major city organisations [in particular] were a power unto themselves..what rules they applied [in some aspects] could be unique to their own areas. Your point is well made...my comment relates to my own experiences and those of a few others as noted [and just by the way, the great John Everson was never 6 he was born 21!!!].

I think what Jeff raised about responsibility and liability for under 18 year old bowlers competing in events such as Rachuig. This would mean the teams would be unable to go to some places for meals and entertainment and managers would be required to obtain blue cards (ie for Qld competitions) and would also require guardians for the junior bowlers.

This would also place a lot more responsibility of the other team members with regards to behaviour around the junior. I know many state sending juniors to events require the adults travelling with the juniors to sign undertakings not to smoke or drink in the presence of juniors. Also some states have penalties for smoking in the presence of juniors. This may then have an adverse effect on the adult members of the teams who may like to have a drink, smoke and play the pokies after their evening meals at the end of a days play.

This is what happened with DeVeer when juniors were initially allowed to compete many years ago. The managers had quite a few additional responsibilities and had to make alternative arrangements for meals and evening entertainment to account for the juniors.

My point of view, from the perspective of someone that has been in many Rachuig teams that have struggled to get numbers, is that juniors bowling Rachuig should be re-introduced.

There have been several years down here when we have had junior females that were more than up to the task of being able to bowl with the Rachuig ladies and would have been willing to, if permitted (from what I understand, this year included!!).

I remember in my last couple of Shields, juniors were allowed to bowl Rachuig and at least a couple of girls that were in Shield with me took the opportunity of bowling both teams.

If you're capable and up for the task and commitment, I can only see it as an added encouragement for those juniors willing to put their hands up and also a benefit for those states, like Tasmania, that struggle with numbers.

Androoo's Right and Renta's Right but being a parent of two young boys who in what ever sport they take up if they are good enough to compete with the best then why deny them that right it gives them a real look on how to behave and whats expected
of them when they become adults

As far as leagues go, if juniors can average the same as adults and take it seriously when needed, then why can't they bowl in adult leagues???

I Agree junior bowlers should NOT be allowed to bowl in ADULT leagues or tournaments its the same as disabled leagues and tournaments we are not allowed to bowl in them so why should they bowl in ours

Back
Top Bottom